Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 28th, 2017, 10:19pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown's Short Train Rides
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Steamtown's Short Train Rides
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown's Short Train Rides  (Read 4102 times)
RRG2

Re: Steamtown's Short Train Rides

« Reply #60 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 9:07pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Thanks for the video. Lets see,a Canadian Pacific engine being shown by US Park Rangers. What's wrong with this picture? Wonder if the Canadian Govt gives money to help the US to promote thier history?  Silly me!    PS: Scranton looks depressing even in the summer,guess thats why no body was in the empty car....  What a freekin joke.  If i wasen't so busy trying to pay my taxes for that waste of steamtown ,I would go up there and put some paint on poor 2124...but that's just me. 8 and sand...................

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2009, 9:23pm by RRG2 » Logged

EACH DAY IS A GIFT....NOT A GIVEN RIGHT
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 11:53pm »

Ok so I'm a little confused about something - where exactly does the excursion go?  What route does it take?  If it were on a map or something like that, it would be cool...

Espee9180
Historian

« Reply #62 on: Jul 13th, 2009, 12:15pm »

on Jul 12th, 2009, 11:53pm, bigjim4life wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ok so I'm a little confused about something - where exactly does the excursion go?  What route does it take?  If it were on a map or something like that, it would be cool...

If you are talking about the yard trains then this map gives a rough outline.

The only other short train ride I could think of is a trip to Moscow which is up the D-L main and return. Or maybe a trip to Carbondale on the old D&H.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #63 on: Nov 1st, 2009, 11:29pm »

Daylight savings time may have ended, but the "Limiteds" are still rolling along.  Today was the first day of real sunshine in a week, and the shadows of the train show the impressive plumes of smoke coming off Canadian Pacific no. 2317.  The last day of the Scranton Limited, and 2317 for 2009 will be on Saturday, Dec. 5th. There's still time to catch her in action, on Thursdays through Sundays.

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2009, 11:13pm by 565fan » Logged

www.project3713.com

OCtrainguy
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #64 on: Nov 4th, 2009, 2:44pm »

Thanks for the information.  I am planning on heading up to Steamtown the Saturday after Thanksgiving and would love to see the 2317 under steam.

OCtrainguy
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #65 on: Dec 2nd, 2009, 4:18pm »

I did have a chance to see and photograph the 2317 on the Scranton Limited this past Saturday.  My parents took my daughter on the last run of the day and enjoyed the ride.  The 2317 looked good passing the parked Canadian Pacific Holiday train.

EastonRailGuy
Chaser

« Reply #66 on: Dec 8th, 2009, 8:29pm »

on Jul 8th, 2009, 12:00am, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well...26 is/was a mess..Not because of Steamtown,there's major damage to the frame from an old accident that's getting fixed,among a miriad of other work being done to her..The entire locomotive is completely taken apart.Unless you actually understand the magnitude of that statement,you don't know what you're talking about.Being a total gearhead,and a person that actually understands what it is to work on big stuff,I was shocked to see the level of precision that's actually necessary to rebuild a steam locomotive,and I probably know more about them than most people do to begin with.I always looked at them as lumbering hulks,immagine my surprise when I saw a thin steel wire run through the center of the cylinders and clear through to the back of the frame on both sides,so as to align the entire drivetrain and rods to within a few 16th's of an inch.[maybe closer??Don't know...]...On a steam locomotive,the smallest parts are as big as the engine block in your car. Total ground up restoration of a single medium freight loco,say,a USRA Mike,under todays conditions,IE:no parts,no molds,no presses or dies to make long out of service parts,and at worst,not even a stinking blueprint of a missing part,ETC,would literally be the life's work of a single master mechanic/machinist.If you want to get a sense of what I'm talking about,go stand next to 26 or 565,and experience the terror..If you're a car guy,Imagine building a hotrod the size of a building,and you can't buy a single part for it,you hafta make them,and the machines to make them,for the most part, don't exist.....Take 565..Ya know the crossheads are missing??[Ya even know what crossheads are?LOL!!] All we have to go by is a fuzzy picture...They'll hafta literally be made from scratch,by the seat of the pants..Two things the size of an oven door,three inches thick,solid steel,probably 800-900 pounds each..Put the Black and Decker away,it ain't gonna get the job done..

I know I'm about 5 months behind reading this thread, but way to go with that post- I agree! This might be a little pet-peave of mine, but most people have no idea the magnitude of work involved to do even the simplest thing on a steam locomotive. I can't say that I've ever really done much work on a steamer, but the little I've done got the point across! Sure, it may look easy, just a couple of nuts to loosen here or a few bolts to tighten there, but think again... give the average railfan a wrench and let him get in the pit under a hot locomotive and try to adjust the shoes and wedges- that is if they can even get a heavy wrench in a position where they have the leverage to make an adjustment in the first place (and without their sweaty/greasy hands slipping off the handle of the wrench along the way!). You might say, "well, a small locomotive would be easy." Then try climbing into the boiler of a little saddletanker, like #65 at Kempton for example, to change out tubes or peen over a leaky firebox stay. There is simply nothing easy about any job on a steamer. On my last trip to Strasburg, the hostler mentioned that the grate shaker levers under the firebox of 90 occasionally come loose, and need to be repaired while a fire is on the grates. Anyone want to climb through the ashpan door under the firebox and make this repair?

More power to those who do! Steamtown, or any other railroad for that matter, can take all the time it needs to get any locomotive operational. I know that I do not have time, patience, knowledge, or muscle to get the job done, so I have tremendous respect for those who do. Thanks LV LOU for helping make this point! Let's be grateful for what we have and support those who make it possible by educating railfans about the work they do...

565fan
Historian

« Reply #67 on: Dec 17th, 2010, 12:03am »

Here are some of the shots I took on Friday, Dec. 3 the final day of operations for the Scranton Limited, 2010.  3254 wears her Holiday Express wreath, and charges forward over bridge 60.

Chugging ahead, we see her and the former CNJ freight station across the way.

Heading up the Mall siding toward the Radisson Lackawanna Hotel and the rest of the yard, before returning to the roundhouse.  

Track work in the yard this summer meant that this train left from the South Turntable lead, for a couple of months.  Upon completion in October, the east portion is now a very smooth ride.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Apr 22nd, 2011, 7:42pm »

The Scranton Limited is back on the schedule as of Sunday, April 17.  The first couple of runs were led by NKP 514 but the remainder of the day saw CN 3254 leading.  There is a new schedule and a new boarding plan for this train.  Times are 10:30, 11:30, 1:00, 1:45 and 2:30 Prices are $5 added to the $7 admission for adults to visit the park.
The boarding plan allows everyone to view the train across the turntable, with the locomotive on the East end facing the roundhouse doors.  Passengers enter from the middle of the two passenger cars. I don't have any photos yet, but if you do, post them here.  It is certainly unusual.  

www.project3713.com

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #69 on: Apr 22nd, 2011, 11:27pm »

Steamtown jacked up their admission prices?  That's good, get a little extra revenue in

bigjim4life
Historian
  scranton_limited.jpg - 112652 Bytes
« Reply #70 on: Oct 11th, 2011, 11:10am »

I'm hoping someone can help me out here...I've always been a better visual learner than anything else.  I'm attaching a map image here of the Steamtown yards/area - where does the Scranton Limited travel on the map?  I'm not just talking about inside the yard area itself - where else does it go?

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (112652 bytes, 1060x697 pixels)

Click Here to View Image scranton_limited.jpg - 112652 Bytes

« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2011, 11:11am by bigjim4life » Logged
565fan
Historian

« Reply #71 on: Oct 11th, 2011, 11:27am »

Hi Jim:  If you look on the far right corner, the P to the right of where it says University of Scranton. That is near the "turn around" location.  It is a tour of the yard.  When the train reaches the east end of the yard, it reverses back to the turntable.

www.project3713.com

bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #72 on: Oct 11th, 2011, 1:14pm »

Does it go back past the bridge at all?  Or even to the bridge?

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #73 on: Oct 12th, 2011, 12:02am »

It might depend on the time or event.  I know during Railfest 2010, 2317 went past the Radisson, so that was over the bridge.  During the normal season, I honestly don't know.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #74 on: Oct 12th, 2011, 11:57am »

Big, Jim, do you mean Bridge 60?  The answer is yes; most of the time.  Track work and freight trains using one track or another may alter the route, but as the train heads West, it usually goes over a portion if not all of Bridge 60. It also crosses S. Washington Ave and Cedar Ave on bridges.  Once again, freight trains get in the mix and can alter the actual route.  
The best way to find out is to take a ride. Thursdays through Sunday have steam.

www.project3713.com

F3_4_me
Historian

« Reply #75 on: Oct 12th, 2011, 7:24pm »

They go about as far as they can go without leaving yard limits, the east end of the trip stops not far from the yard limit sign near the University of Scranton.  The west end of the trip is basically however far they need to go to clear switchpoints at Bridge 60.  

-Micah

When I joined the ARHS in '92, my occupation was listed as '3rd Grade'.
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #76 on: Nov 16th, 2011, 1:31am »

Video from my Friday, November 4 visit - including cab ride footage of the Scranton Limited!  Enjoy, and don't forget to check out my other videos as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dSNkAUDF2U

565fan
Historian

« Reply #77 on: Apr 27th, 2012, 12:04am »

2012's season will begin this coming Saturday, April 28.  Since the mainline is under construction, there will be a variation in the route taken for a while.  If you take the new version of the Scranton Limited, please post your experiences here.  Also, if you take any photos, post them here.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #78 on: Sep 27th, 2012, 10:06pm »

If you are in Scranton for the next few weeks, definitely bring your camera.  This week and the first two weeks of October will feature steam 7 days a week.  All weekdays will have theScranton Limited trains run by steam.  The 10:30 runs on Tuesdays Wednesdays and Thursdays are chartered and may have 5 or six coaches in tow.  Today, we overestimated how many people were coming and had 5 coaches, even though only 3 had people on board. Still working out some bugs with the contracts   Anyway.  For steam to run so frequently in the fall is getting rare.  Take advantage.

This shot was the 3 car run on September 25.

« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2012, 10:07pm by 565fan » Logged

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #79 on: Nov 4th, 2012, 9:06pm »

I caught this shot of the October 18 1:30 Scranton Limited just before the peak of the foliage season.

The Limited schedule is even more limited in the month of November.  Still four times a day, the train will run on Friday Saturday and Sunday only.  Final run is Friday, November 30.

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »