Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 28th, 2017, 8:30pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steamtown's Short Train Rides
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Steamtown's Short Train Rides
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steamtown's Short Train Rides  (Read 4100 times)
90Fan
Historian
Re: Steamtown's Short Train Rides

« Reply #40 on: Jul 20th, 2006, 3:16pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Not to play mod or anything, Alek, but you really should provide a source and/or a link to where you got the information. I know you're new here and are kinda getting the hang of things, but now you know for next time .

Brian

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
565fan
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Oct 15th, 2007, 3:31pm »

It's been a while since this thread was active, but I wanted to remind the folks on the board that the Scranton Limited is still running on a Wed-Sun schedule, with steam when possible.  

In the past, the Polar Express, Slocum Hollow Christmas Magic and Holiday Express trains signalled the end of the yard train season.  However, for 2007, the season will extend through Dec 29, if I heard correctly.  The only days it won't run are Nov 22 (Thanksgiving), Nov 23 and 24, Dec 1 and 8(Holiday Express) and Dec 25(Christmas).  There may be some day to day changes, but the chance of steam in the snow is increased with each day this train runs.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Oct 20th, 2008, 5:23pm »

While this train doesn't get as much mention as the excursions, it has become one of our more interesting trips to take throughout the year.  Lead engine has typically been 2317, with a few pinch hits by 3254, and Wednesday being the 514 day.  During the lunch break, crews have begun parking the steam locomotives on the turntable, so everyone could admire a live steam locomotive in its natural habitat.  Starting points and routes have also changed, with sometimes 2317 pushing the train uphill, and sometimes using the south chutes track, taking you through the collection, instead of around it.  

Has anyone noticed the changes?  Do they meet your approval?  To keep doing something "new" in such a limited space isn't easy, but sure can be neat.

www.project3713.com

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #43 on: Oct 21st, 2008, 7:12pm »

During the Railfest I took the Scranton Limited with 514 pulling it. Although I have done the longer excursions, for $3 its a nice ride. The conductor was also telling a lot of information while the ride was going on about the yard and tracks and such. It is very informative.  

Mike

565fan
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 2:43pm »

The steam season has begun for 2009!  I was told not to expect any steam engines to operate for a while last month, so my hopes weren't high.  Since I was travelling last Sunday, (Apr19), I forgot that operations were beginning.  Yesterday, Wednesday, I was taken aback to see 514 in motion with the Scranton Limited.  I happened to be in the parking garage of the Mall, and snapped this one of 514 and two cars on the Mall Siding track.  

Even more surprising was hearing a steam whistle this morning.  Sure enough, Canadian Pacific 2317 ran like a champ for the four yard trains today.  I took this one during the 11:30 train.  It was chilly (45 degrees) and gloomy for most of the day.

But steam in any season is always a treat.  
June 2009 will mark 86 years of existence for this high stepping Pacific, and 31 years of duty since restoration in 1978.

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2011, 11:11pm by 565fan » Logged

www.project3713.com

Anthony RMLI
Former Member

« Reply #45 on: Apr 23rd, 2009, 3:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Cool
 Glad to see her running. I take it she still needs some work though.  

Anthony

565fan
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Jun 28th, 2009, 11:10pm »

Beginning July 1, this train will run every day of the week, through Lackawanna RailFest, and then return to the Wed-Sun schedule.  Here is a photo from 2005 or 2006, showing the "east end" of the Scranton Limited.

... and in July 1999, when Baldwin 26 pulled this train that we used to call the yard shuttle.  

www.project3713.com

Stall Five Productions
Enthusiast

« Reply #47 on: Jun 29th, 2009, 9:46pm »

I'll take a cab ride in 26 when it's done. If it's ever done. When did that go out of service? 1999? or 2000?

Stall Five Productions C2009
WH
Former Member

« Reply #48 on: Jun 29th, 2009, 10:28pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Jun 29th, 2009, 9:46pm, Stall_Five wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'll take a cab ride in 26 when it's done. If it's ever done. When did that go out of service? 1999? or 2000?

IIRC, it was 1999.

Stall Five Productions
Enthusiast

« Reply #49 on: Jun 29th, 2009, 11:04pm »

Regardless, my point is that it's been 10 years thus far to recondition an 0-6-0 to running condition. Imagine when 2317 goes down for it's 5 year. It's boiler days are running down. With them running the bearings off of 3254 there's not going to be much left up there to pull the trains, lest I forget the burned up traction motors on 514... pardon my sarcasm. I fully support Steamtown, but respect for the equipment must come first. I remember back in 1989 when 2317 was a hoss and pulled massive trains up to Kingsley, even 2007 when 2317 pulled excursions to Moscow. I miss the old Steamtown when the equipment actually ran like it should've.  

on Jun 29th, 2009, 10:28pm, WH wrote:       (Click here for original message)

IIRC, it was 1999.

Stall Five Productions C2009
565fan
Historian

« Reply #50 on: Jul 7th, 2009, 12:49pm »

stall five.  You have to remember that when 2317 first ran trains to Kingsley for the NPS, that was 1989... 20 years ago.  With many of the same parts she has now.  In 1989, the massive trains were six cars long.  In 1990, she was down for the entire year, returning just in time for the 1991 season, which began a week after the fourth of July, missing a critical tourist week.  She did haul 11 or 13 cars to Binghamton for the RR Photographer's weekend in 1991. 1992, she handled the trains until RailPhoto Weekend (late september). 3254 completed the season, after the double header to Binghamton.  By then, ridership dropped to about 5 cars worth of riders on average, until the fall, when 8 cars did the trick. I only remember a few times we had 10 cars on the train.

Memory is a funny thing.  

I understand your frustration on it taking so long on 26's repairs, but there are several other engines out there taking just as long to go through less repair.  No One else would try to replace a firebox without buying a brand new boiler.  26 will be quite a remarkable piece when she's back and running.

www.project3713.com

Project565
Chaser

« Reply #51 on: Jul 7th, 2009, 10:45pm »

I always find it funny when someone don't work on steam or diesels and fine all kinds of fault with how it's getting fixed or to be fixed. The guy's at steamtown are doing a full restore on No.26 from ground up. When she is done she will be like bran new out of the Baldwin shops of 1925.

The same with our project with 565, she'll look bran new but will be for display only.

Len.

Help Cosmetic Restore DL&W 565!PS. Henry set up this account for this project,
LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Jul 8th, 2009, 12:00am »

Well...26 is/was a mess..Not because of Steamtown,there's major damage to the frame from an old accident that's getting fixed,among a miriad of other work being done to her..The entire locomotive is completely taken apart.Unless you actually understand the magnitude of that statement,you don't know what you're talking about.Being a total gearhead,and a person that actually understands what it is to work on big stuff,I was shocked to see the level of precision that's actually necessary to rebuild a steam locomotive,and I probably know more about them than most people do to begin with.I always looked at them as lumbering hulks,immagine my surprise when I saw a thin steel wire run through the center of the cylinders and clear through to the back of the frame on both sides,so as to align the entire drivetrain and rods to within a few 16th's of an inch.[maybe closer??Don't know...]...On a steam locomotive,the smallest parts are as big as the engine block in your car. Total ground up restoration of a single medium freight loco,say,a USRA Mike,under todays conditions,IE:no parts,no molds,no presses or dies to make long out of service parts,and at worst,not even a stinking blueprint of a missing part,ETC,would literally be the life's work of a single master mechanic/machinist.If you want to get a sense of what I'm talking about,go stand next to 26 or 565,and experience the terror..If you're a car guy,Imagine building a hotrod the size of a building,and you can't buy a single part for it,you hafta make them,and the machines to make them,for the most part, don't exist.....Take 565..Ya know the crossheads are missing??[Ya even know what crossheads are?LOL!!] All we have to go by is a fuzzy picture...They'll hafta literally be made from scratch,by the seat of the pants..Two things the size of an oven door,three inches thick,solid steel,probably 800-900 pounds each..Put the Black and Decker away,it ain't gonna get the job done..

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2009, 12:10am by LV LOU » Logged

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
afboone
Railfan

« Reply #53 on: Jul 10th, 2009, 7:26pm »

Lou, well said!   I work on aircraft for the Air Force.  Our stuff is big but it's light.  When I started on 565 I thought how hard could this be.  Man was I wrong.  It's fun though!!!!!!!!!  26 is going to be almost new when Mike is done with her.  Bruce finished the tender up last month.  And he replaced some of the frame just because it looked a little rough.

Project565
Chaser
  close_up_565_cross_head.jpg - 12286 Bytes
« Reply #54 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 3:43pm »

on Jul 8th, 2009, 12:00am, LV LOU wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Take 565..Ya know the crossheads are missing??[Ya even know what crossheads are?LOL!!] All we have to go by is a fuzzy picture...They'll hafta literally be made from scratch,by the seat of the pants..Two things the size of an oven door,three inches thick,solid steel,probably 800-900 pounds each..Put the Black and Decker away,it ain't gonna get the job done..

This is what Lou is referring to. This is what makes the piston and valve move, this is the left side of 565 when she still had them. Now when I was to steamtown yesterday I saw No. 790 has the same type of cross head. here is two photos of them.

Len.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/close_up_565_cross_head.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Project565
Chaser
  crosshead_790_one.jpg - 122674 Bytes
« Reply #55 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 3:44pm »

No. 790 One

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (122674 bytes, 1024x768 pixels)

Click Here to View Image crosshead_790_one.jpg - 122674 Bytes

Project565
Chaser
  crosshead_790_two.jpg - 107323 Bytes
« Reply #56 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 3:45pm »

No. 790 Two

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (107323 bytes, 1024x768 pixels)

Click Here to View Image crosshead_790_two.jpg - 107323 Bytes

Andyt293
Historian

« Reply #57 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 5:39pm »

on Jul 7th, 2009, 10:45pm, Project565 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I always find it funny when someone don't work on steam or diesels and fine all kinds of fault with how it's getting fixed or to be fixed. The guy's at steamtown are doing a full restore on No.26 from ground up. When she is done she will be like bran new out of the Baldwin shops of 1925.

The same with our project with 565, she'll look bran new but will be for display only.

Len.

What is bran new?  Some kind of technical term?

If I stand in Grandma's back yard in Georgetown and close my eyes real tight, I can still hear CNJ freights grinding up the backtrack......and smell the smoke from the brake shoes of a Tuscan Century 628 as it leads NE-84 through Georgetown Interlocking on its way to a meet with the D&H at W-B.....
Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 5:55pm »

Boy, has this thread gotten waaaay off topic!

JP

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
Project565
Chaser

« Reply #59 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 6:02pm »

Here's video I took yesterday at Steamtown with No.2317 running the short run.
Part One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLp0vEOkaMU

Part Two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jTF-vimmhs&feature=response_watch

Enjoy.
Len.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »