Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 26th, 2017, 7:07am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Engine Discussion: #26
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Engine Discussion: #26
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  15 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Engine Discussion: #26  (Read 15397 times)
ARA18
Historian
Re: Engine Discussion: #26

« Reply #80 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 4:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

It's going to be great when #26 is up again. I rode behind #3254 in the yard, she really wasn't enjoying it. She really needs the main line. But #2317 needs a rest too, though #3254 could use one also. When I was there she had to evrything. Even #514 was down.

Go Leafs!
CSX sucks!
American Viscose #6
Arcade & Attica #18
New York Centra; 4068/4080, Life's Good up here.
dh7312
Railfan

« Reply #81 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 10:51pm »

any updates on the 26??

Jerry
J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #82 on: Dec 18th, 2006, 12:17am »

on Aug 12th, 2006, 6:58am, RN_addict wrote:       (Click here for original message)
At the moment 26 does look weird, but I think it looks cool when its not in 100 pieces.  

Wow, she's not even half the engine she used to be!

« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2007, 1:57am by J. M. Fusco » Logged
mikes47jeep
Enthusiast

« Reply #83 on: Dec 20th, 2006, 10:00pm »

every time i see the little #26 shes looking more and more like a locomotive, even more staybolts are in place

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #84 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 12:28am »

Good to hear she's getting some progress,

I really want to see her hit the rails again. I miss her quite a bit!

565fan
Historian

« Reply #85 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 1:07am »

Feb, 2007 update.  Right at the end of January, all six new tires were sweated on the wheel sets.  Some of the wheels are painted black making the unpainted tires that much more distinctive.  Originally, 26 had blind drivers on the center set, but all are flanged now.
A brand new cylinder sleeve was inserted on the engineer's side right before New Year's, and the machine trammed it out to the right size.  One of the pistons is on a lathe and new piston rings are being cut to go on the pistons.  
Boiler-wise, the crews are getting ready to install the radial stay bolts.  These are long rods, threaded  and flared on each end, to hold the crown sheet at the right distance from the top of the firebox.  The firebox is not yet fully welded or riveted, but that might come after the radials are situated.  I hope this satisfies you for a while.

www.project3713.com

LegendZ26
Railfan
  3254-8.jpg - 61683 Bytes
« Reply #86 on: Feb 14th, 2007, 9:15pm »

26 in October 2006 when I was at Steamtown. And yes they mentioned the sleeve work that she needed on her engineers side when I was there.  happy to hear that the new sleeve was installed.  Even though the work being done is slow, I agree with Steamtowns view that with the work being done the right way, these Steamers will be in operation years to come. They are making up for all the patch work the railroads did in the steamers final years in operation. So yes it seams like they are slow and not accomplishing much, but really they are doing an incredible job and we should all be amazed at what their goal is and how they are going about it. So while steam continues to dwindle, especially in the northeast, I feel that one day I can take my kids to Steamtown and they will get to see a Steamer operate.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/3254-8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Reading T-1
Wheel Arrangement 4-8-4
Length 110'-6"
Drivers 70"
Weight 278,200 lbs over drivers
809,000 lbs total locomotive with fully loaded tender
Grate Area 94.5 sq ft
Cylinders 2 @ 27 in. dia. and 32 in. stroke
Cylinder HP 3147 HP
Boiler Pressure 240 psi
LegendZ26
Railfan
  3254-9.jpg - 64610 Bytes
« Reply #87 on: Feb 14th, 2007, 9:18pm »

26s Boiler in October 06.  She realy is a nice lookin Steam Locomotive when she is all put together.  One of the best examples of an 0-6-0 I think u can find.  Glad Steamtown has this Gem!!!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/3254-9.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Reading T-1
Wheel Arrangement 4-8-4
Length 110'-6"
Drivers 70"
Grate Area 94.5 sq ft
Cylinder HP 3147 HP
Boiler Pressure 240 psi
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #88 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 5:08pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Great pics. when she is restored will she be pulling trains or smething else?

Anthony

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #89 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 5:20pm »

on Feb 15th, 2007, 5:08pm, anthonyd_SRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Great pics. when she is restored will she be pulling trains or smething else?

Anthony

No Anthony,

When she is restored, she will be under steam but will NOT be allowed to pull a train! She will be restricted to the engine house where she will back up 5 feet then pull forward 5 feet and visators will ride her cab. If it gets too crowded, in the tender they go!  

HAHA, nah... If they're restoring the locomotive to operating condition, what do you think they will do with it? Run it, of corse...  

I'm sure #26 will pull the yard shuttles once again; that is, when she is put back together.

Joe...  

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2007, 5:21pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
90Fan
Historian

« Reply #90 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 8:34pm »

on Feb 15th, 2007, 5:20pm, J. M. Fusco wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I'm sure #26 will pull the yard shuttles once again; that is, when she is put back together.

Joe...  

Wow! Yard shuttles? Who wouldn've ever thought?

Great to see 26's progressing. You're right Kenny, she is one fine 0-6-0! She is one of the best switchers I know. She's always great to see around the yard!

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
LegendZ26
Railfan

« Reply #91 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 8:29am »

If u really think about it, 26 is one of the Gems of their collection. People want a local Locomotive to run at Steamtown, but 26 is a very local Steamer. How lucky could a place called Steamtown be to have a Baldwin Locomotive Works Switcher as its very own switcher.  Its a local Steamer from Eddystone PA. and its proabably the best example of a switch engine that they could get. Very basic design and not to big nor small for what they need it for. And she looks so good. When I think of a switch engine 26 always comes to mind. I cant wait for 26 to do its job again.  And I will be there when she does!!! And I hope they do take their time getting her done.  Then when she comes out she will have years of good service to give.

Reading T-1
Wheel Arrangement 4-8-4
Length 110'-6"
Drivers 70"
Grate Area 94.5 sq ft
Cylinder HP 3147 HP
Boiler Pressure 240 psi
565fan
Historian

« Reply #92 on: Apr 15th, 2007, 10:36pm »

April 2007 update.  Work keeps on keepin' on.  No big leaps forward, but a cluster of about 6 new rivets were installed on the boiler, fireman's side last week.  Some of the staybolts were cut on the outside of the firebox to about 1/4 inch.  They will all eventually be cut and hammered down to a bead, so they will expand and contract with the rest of the boiler parts and not leak. I also noticed a little extra work was done on the cab interior on shop track 3 in the restoration end.  

All of the coaches are getting new steps.  It wasn't until they were taken off, that the repairmen realized how bad they were.  For 2007 you wil now have a more secure footing in gettin on and off the cars.

www.project3713.com

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #93 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 4:32pm »

Cool, good news about the coaches

Anthony

DLW_1602
Railfan

« Reply #94 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 7:08pm »

I have good news #26's tender was moved to the shops today around 2:45 pm.
I hope to have photos asap.

Dan

90Fan
Historian

« Reply #95 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 2:00pm »

on Apr 20th, 2007, 7:08pm, steamfan92 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have good news #26's tender was moved to the shops today around 2:45 pm.
I hope to have photos asap.

Dan

Looking forward to it!

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #96 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 7:34pm »

Great news!!!

Anthony

565fan
Historian

« Reply #97 on: Jun 11th, 2007, 5:10pm »

June 2007 update... Not much news on the tender, although she is on track 2 in the shop, still under cover.  This week, the penetration welding of the firebox will begin.  It seems like an easy enough job if you have the skills.  The three men working on 26 do have this certification, so they are up to it.  More of the staybolts are cut and ground to get them ready for beading, which I described in an earlier post.  Once the firebox sheets are welded together, the radial stays will join the crownsheet and wrapper sheet together.  

A recently repaired machine is also grinding down the valves so they will seat themselves perfectly in their steam chests.  The steam chest covers are also repaired by this grinder.  Pistons are finishing up their repairs on the lathe, and the rings for the pistons are cut.  No. 26 is really coming along.  She may even run better than new, based on the comments I've heard.  This is good, because I remember her dark days in the late 90's when she ran very rough.

www.project3713.com

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #98 on: Jun 14th, 2007, 1:43pm »

How do 26 looks? In a bunch of piece of is she coming together?

Anthony

565fan
Historian

« Reply #99 on: Jun 23rd, 2007, 9:58pm »

To the untrained eye, no. 26 today will look a lot like legend z26's photos from a few months back.  She is still in kit form, with more work needed.  I noticed the paint on her cylinder saddle has been taken off, as part of preparing this part for priming... or to check on a possible crack not noticed before.  One of the frustrating parts of a restoration is that you can't easily put parts back on until they are ALL ready to go on.  When it comes to this point, the work seems to go rather quickly. Keep in mind you don't want to put bad or broken parts on and have them break when you steam her up.  It all has to be in good shape.

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  15 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »