Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 22nd, 2017, 8:54pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Engine Discussion: #26
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Engine Discussion: #26
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Engine Discussion: #26  (Read 15435 times)
mikado1555
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Re: Engine Discussion: #26

« Reply #220 on: Jul 3rd, 2012, 9:39pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

So were the shoes, wedges, wedge bolts and binders all made before the frame was straightened and measurements could be taken from the frame to have the locomotive be in tram?

Or were they rough machined to be finished after measurements could be taken from the straightend frame to have the axles be in tram with proper lateral and other tolerances?

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #221 on: Jul 5th, 2012, 1:38pm »

on Jul 3rd, 2012, 9:39pm, mikado1555 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
So were the shoes, wedges, wedge bolts and binders all made before the frame was straightened and measurements could be taken from the frame to have the locomotive be in tram?

Or were they rough machined to be finished after measurements could be taken from the straightend frame to have the axles be in tram with proper lateral and other tolerances?

Do you know something we don't?  If you're trying to drive home a point just make it already.

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2012, 1:39pm by montclaire » Logged
afboone
Railfan

« Reply #222 on: Jul 5th, 2012, 1:44pm »

All of the required finished work for the binders, wedges, and jounral boxes were just completed.  And the shop folks who did the work are artists with a milling machine.  Everything fits beautifully.  Many of the brake linkages were adjusted during it's twisted frames days and now are junk.  Many are already done being remade from the prints.  The springs were even adjusted for the frame.  The new springs are in the shop and waiting their turn on the installation process.  I've said it once I will say it again this will be a "new" engine when she comes out.

mikado1555
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #223 on: Jul 5th, 2012, 3:30pm »

Montclaire,
Well if you use the original blue prints and machine the new parts to those dim, they will most likely not work due to other parts being worn and/or modified over the years and/or things were modified during the building process.

565fan stated that the shoes, wedges, wedge bolts and binders were done in 2006 while the straightening of the frame was done late 2007-2009, which brings up the question how were the proper dim determined for the items which were machined in 2006, as they also depend on the frame dim.

I am also not sure if you feel offended by my questions, or annoyed because I am curious about how things were done. I am not here to "make a point" but curious about the process. A lot of the work on these old machines is not specifically done right of a plan, but based off of measurements of the frame and other parts to get them to work and fit properly.

on Jul 5th, 2012, 1:38pm, montclaire wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Do you know something we don't?  If you're trying to drive home a point just make it already.

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #224 on: Jul 9th, 2012, 9:41am »

Steamtown is a bit of a magnet for people looking to stir up trouble.  If your questions are sincere I have no issue with them, not that I have any authority to do anything about it anyway.  I think that most, if not all posters on here with inside info are volunteers, and are probably not privy to every little detail.  

Until some evidence is presented to make us all think that the repair work on 26 is being handled improperly, I see no reason to assume that it possibly is.  Steamtown's communication with the public is a bit... non-existant on some of these matters, so questions are natural.  But, for all the criticism that Steamtown attracts, the common complaint is the pace of their repair work, and never the manner in which it is performed.  

Two cents.

mtillger

View Profile  

« Reply #225 on: Jul 10th, 2012, 10:04pm »

Frame was straightened and it actually matches the print in the critical locations! Pedestal binders were made custom to fit up with frame toes Shoes were made to match the side rods which did not match print dimensions. All parts were made to work together. Shoes were roughed out earlier and finished to final dimensions recently. No, not every dimension has been restored to print as that is not always cost effective. All drive boxes were brought back to a standard size and hubliners were custom fitted. Mikado is correct when he states that the tolerance's are the critical dimension, not the print dimensions.
Mike Tillger

565fan
Historian

« Reply #226 on: Aug 25th, 2012, 9:21pm »

August 2012 update.

The grate hangers have been added to the firebox of 26. I took these photos last week.

The next photo shows the underside of the hangers.  The linkages are in place for shaking the grates.  This will allow the fireman to drop ash into the ashpan so the fire doesn't snuff out.

The nice stacks of finger grates that will be put into place.  Even a seemingly simple task like moving things around takes some time away from the overall job.

When pieces are taken off a locomotive, they often look like they don't belong to it.  I believe these newly primered hangers will go on 26.

Luckily, some parts are tagged so I know where they will go.  These are hangers  that will hold the running boards alongside the boiler.

And some of the covers for the valve and piston area.
My last photo for this post.  These are the main springs that will be added to the frame and suspension.  The spring hangers are already attached, but I could not get a decent photo of them.

Now, on to September and RailFest.

« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2012, 3:13pm by 565fan » Logged

www.project3713.com

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #227 on: Nov 25th, 2012, 2:17pm »

Any news on this little guy?

3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #228 on: Dec 25th, 2012, 12:47pm »

I had the pleasure of seeing the 26 this past weekend. The smokebox has been riveted back onto the rest of the boiler. The frame looked like it was being prepped to drop onto the drive wheels where the drive boxes, brake riggings and springs will all be added. The domes and smoke stack were all painted and looked ready to go. From here it looks like the engine is ready for final assembly. The tender is complete and waiting in the roundhouse. The cab will need a final coat of paint and lettering. I'd say things are looking good to see her in service next year!

Moderates: East Broad Top
montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #229 on: Dec 27th, 2012, 10:15am »

That's good, since you probably won't see 3254 on the rails again anytime soon.  That still means diesel only for the mainline excursions though.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #230 on: Jan 31st, 2013, 10:24am »

Today is the day, predicted so long ago... Baldwin 26's frame was lifted by the 30 ton crane and placed on her drive wheels!  

When I caught up with the crew, the frame was set atop the drive boxes on the axles.  The tolerances were very tight, so it is taking some time in adjustment.

While four or five guys are working on the frame, some firebox work continues on the boiler.  The boiler grates and hangers have been removed so the added weight doesn't overwhelm the crane's capacity.

Each of the axles and boxes are fitting in place, but to make sure nothing closes in at a funny angle, three of the workers are watching how the frame lowers on the drive boxes.
More photos to come!

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #231 on: Jan 31st, 2013, 10:35am »

There are so many parts balanced against one another on a steam locomotive that the precision of lowering the frame is very important.  Since many parts are brought back to original 1929 specs, the correct fit can't be taken for granted.

It isn't easy taking still photos of workers actually at work.  But believe me, they were all over this item while placing the binders and bolts underneath the frame.

Looking forward to the day when the boiler gets mated to the frame.

As the crane lowered, jacks were put in place by the ends.  Teamwork and communication are big parts of accomplishing this huge task.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #232 on: Jan 31st, 2013, 11:19am »

Now that the frame is connected with the wheels and suspension, this whole is referred to as the chassis. As big a deal as it is, there is still a long way to go.  

Two views of one of the steam distributing pipes shows there is still work to be done to get this and its mate in the smokebox.

And then there are the brakes.  Here are the hangers and clips that will hold the brakeshoes.

This isn't a great shot, but you can see that 26's tender is off her trucks again.  The measurements of the height of the tender compared to the frame showed a difference.  So the drawbar will connect them at a decent level, the springs are being pressed.

As I posted several years ago, I make no promises for when Baldwin 26 will run.  But things are looking really good these days.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #233 on: Feb 25th, 2013, 11:34am »

I got an early warning last Tuesday, Feb 19 that the cab of 26, previously painted black, was going to get a coat of olive green.  Recent research of Baldwin engines turned up that when she was new in 1929, she and many other Baldwin locomotives were painted in green.  Black was by request only.  
Above, we see her sanded black body early in the morning.

I stood outside the paint booth when the painting began after lunch time.  

Nearly done with the first coat.  Like most things, the preparation and clean up take most of the time.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #234 on: Feb 25th, 2013, 11:45am »

The next batch of photos comes from Friday, Feb. 22. The chassis of 26 was rolled into the paint booth on Thursday.  Painting takes place this week.  To make sure certain parts don't get paint or gummed up by it, the valve gear and rods were covered in foil and tape.

Here is the cab, all dry now.  

And a view taken without flash.  Neither picture quite captures the shade of olive properly.

Imagine everything here that is black will be green.  A lot of sanding is needed to prepare her.

This front view shows her with the coupler attached so the track mobile can move her.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #235 on: Mar 1st, 2013, 7:59am »

The entire frame has been cleaned with denatured alcohol to prepare it for primer coat next week.  Work continues on other pieces of the loco in the main shop.  Her tender might be next in the paint booth.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #236 on: May 4th, 2013, 1:01pm »

The wheels are being painted in an aluminum or silver shade of paint on the spokes and counter-weights.  It looks like the tires will also be that aluminum color.  
The tender will be brought in the paint booth this coming week, (May 5-11) for its own green and aluminum paint.  It is also likely that the boiler will mate with the frame/chassis this week too.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #237 on: May 9th, 2013, 11:14pm »

This past week has been very busy in the locomotive shop.  After green paint on the frame was complete, preparation for the aluminum spokes and tires was completed.  On Monday, May6, the chassis of 26 was rolled back into the main locomotive shop floor.

Above we see the chassis to the right of the boiler.  Boiler jacketing was applied and then removed from the boiler so the crews would know all the parts they have. Some new sheeting was prepared.  These will go to the paint booth soon. We also happen to catch them lifting one of the sand domes off the boiler.  

Here's a closer view.  Those trimmed tires really make the assemblage "pop".

The side rods were ready to be replaced on the wheels after painting.  This work was completed by May 8.

Many other parts of 26 such as this piping has already been painted green.  It still shows that a lot more work needs to be done.

And here is what took place today around 1:00!  The boiler is just about ready to be placed atop the frame and chassis.  This will be the final time they mate.  Bolting, riveting and other work still remain before she roars out of the shop, but she is getting close!

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #238 on: May 11th, 2013, 11:05pm »

Work continues...  
Preparation in the painting of the tender continues.  This will also be green with aluminum lettering and stripes.  She will look sharp.

One side is sanded already.  

www.project3713.com

alzubal
Enthusiast

« Reply #239 on: May 12th, 2013, 1:41pm »

Is the boiler back on the chassies?
Al

Al
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »