Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 9:41am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Engine Discussion: #26
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Engine Discussion: #26
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Engine Discussion: #26  (Read 15446 times)
Railroad_Buff
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Re: Engine Discussion: #26

« Reply #180 on: May 30th, 2012, 8:46pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well tell that to my English teacher in High School .  
 And why your at it to that to Mr. Webster too.  

Tim.

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #181 on: May 30th, 2012, 8:53pm »

Haha i figured that was you "bassman". Regards.

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #182 on: May 30th, 2012, 9:05pm »

Mr. Buff,  
 I believe since you have nothing to contribute to the Steamtown forum but ridicule. I believe the Strasburg railroad forum is up to par based on your "experience with the UP steam program".  
If i am incorrect in my statement, feel free to continue posting on this forum. Your entitled
To your opinions, but a negative atmosphere does nothing on this website.  

NKP759fan

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #183 on: May 30th, 2012, 9:37pm »

I think Railroad_Buff is a bit soured with Steamtown for some reason  .

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #184 on: May 30th, 2012, 10:08pm »

Indeed......

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #185 on: May 30th, 2012, 10:20pm »

Well from doing research on Railroad_Buff and his previous posts in other topics on RF.net, it certainly sounds like LEN SHANER!! Nice try Lenny! He pick's up one spelling error while his post on the top of this page makes no sense. Get a life Lenny and move on!

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2012, 10:33pm by NKP759fan » Logged

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #186 on: May 30th, 2012, 10:47pm »

on May 30th, 2012, 8:46pm, Railroad_Buff wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well tell that to my English teacher in High School .  
 And why your at it to that to Mr. Webster too.  

Tim.

Probably should stay out of this.  In general most here are fairly relaxed about grammatical precision.  However, when bringing in the English teacher, it is best not to be standing in a glass house.  If you English teacher will give you a passing grade on the sentences you have just committed, that person needs a refresher course of his own.  

In "And why your at it..." I think you are trying to say, "And while you're at it.    

It appears certain that you meant "while' as in at the same time as, and the appropriate contraction for "you are" is "you're", not your, which is the possessive form of you.  By the way, I am reasonably sure that there should be a comma after the "Why" at the start of the first sentence, but don't hold me to that, as the most common correction I got on papers graded for grammar was "extraneous commas"

« Last Edit: May 31st, 2012, 5:59pm by George_Harris » Logged
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #187 on: May 30th, 2012, 10:52pm »

Well at least we all know it's Len Shaner. He can't hide behind different peoples names.

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2012, 10:53pm by NKP759fan » Logged

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #188 on: Jun 1st, 2012, 6:11pm »

Absolutely! I had a special tour a few years ago where I saw parts of Steamtown the public normally doesn't. The archive of records they have is mind blowing. The work they do to preserve these documents and to catalog them is amazing. They also have an impressive collection of railroad artifacts.

on May 24th, 2012, 10:29am, wrg113 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Success is measured by more than just what and how many choo choos are puffing around the yard and how many trips are run to the Water Gap. Steamtown has many layers of responisbility and a vast collection of archives, railroad history relics, etc. for which they do an A+ job.

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #189 on: Jun 2nd, 2012, 8:36am »

on May 30th, 2012, 10:20pm, NKP759fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well from doing research on Railroad_Buff and his previous posts in other topics on RF.net, it certainly sounds like LEN SHANER!! Nice try Lenny! He pick's up one spelling error while his post on the top of this page makes no sense. Get a life Lenny and move on!

Good, I wasn't the only one who smelled something fishy. As to hiding behind other names, it's what he does-we've compiled a list of at least 20 names and profiles he's stolen or created. Sad. Anyways, yes Steamtown does have quite an amazing and extensive archive collection. I've always wanted to visit it...maybe someday!

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
565fan
Historian

« Reply #190 on: Jun 2nd, 2012, 9:34pm »

Here are some photos I took today of the progress seen on Baldwin 26 since my last group.

Starting with the boiler, the smokebox is now added on, but with nuts and bolts for the time being. Rivets will need to be installed for that water-tight fit.

Moving onto the frame, this is now primed and painted.  So is the crosshead.  The crosshead guides needed to be planed to be perfectly straight.  The twisted frame also twisted these.  Or they were modified to keep the twisted frame functioning.

Close-up view of the crosshead on the engineer's side.

Two yellow jacks being used as spacers in the frame.  This is the location where the drive box/bearing/axle assembly will be in the near future. Notice the odd shape of the wooden block. This is where the wedge will be installed, snugly holding the drive box in just like the metal shoe on the opposite side.

Springs!  Leaf springs, actually.  A huge box of spring-rigging and hangers is on the floor right next to the table where the springs sit.

The drive wheels are now attached with their side rods.  The large pin on the closest wheel will hold the main rod in the center portion and then the eccentric crank on the outer portion. This is the Fireman's side.

Now the Engineer's side.  Notice how the pins and rods are not in the same position as the Fireman's side.  They are off balance by 90 degrees.  This quarter balancing, which keeps the valve gear working, prevents the piston from finding the center of the cylinder and making start-up of the motion even harder than it needs to be.

Every part of a steam engine has a purpose.  As big and necessary as the boiler is, it also needs smaller parts like this one, the exhaust nozzle, to function properly by drafting the used steam out of the cylinder.

The lineup of the drive boxes.  All six of them have been slung on the axles at one time or another for fitting.  Now the grease wells are being sized and installed.

A closer view of the drive box with its grease well. Looking closely, you can tell that all of these pieces have been "bulked up" with weld or other means, and then shaped down to fit perfectly.  The sizes and dimensions are going back to the original 1929 specs.  Parts that were adjusted to fit the twisted frame over the years are either modified back to "square" or they were thrown out.  

26 is coming along.  The work is amazing to see, but she still is not that close to assembly.

www.project3713.com

EJW425
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #191 on: Jun 16th, 2012, 4:11pm »

Does anyone know on what time she will be done, or not?

Favorite Favorite Operating Steamers:
Fallen Flags: 1) R&N 425
DL&W 2) SRR 90
Lehigh Valley 3) NKP 765
PRR
L&NE
Railroad_Buff
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #192 on: Jun 16th, 2012, 9:28pm »

The rate their moving  up there. maybe Three years from now! Don't give the excouse that their low staft either. Strasburg has the same amount of people who work in their locomotive repair shop.  and they work on a lot of other  projects at the same time , plus run passenger/ freight service.  Even Reading and Northern gets more done with 425 and they have Two Men working on her. Not the Six or more that Steamtown has working on 26.  

Tim

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #193 on: Jun 16th, 2012, 10:38pm »

on Jun 16th, 2012, 9:28pm, Railroad_Buff wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The rate their moving  up there. maybe Three years from now! Don't give the excouse that their low staft either. Strasburg has the same amount of people who work in their locomotive repair shop.  and they work on a lot of other  projects at the same time , plus run passenger/ freight service.  Even Reading and Northern gets more done with 425 and they have Two Men working on her. Not the Six or more that Steamtown has working on 26.  

Tim

Once again, do something instead of spouting negativity. They DO HAVE a VOLUNTEER program.

3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #194 on: Jun 17th, 2012, 9:14pm »

Who is this Railroad Buff? I thought I came through here many times before to clean up the negativity but it always seems to come back.

I have to agree with everyone, since you know so much about Steamtown's shop crew and what you think they're capable of, why aren't you there helping? They do NOT have the same size crew as Strasburg. I went on Strasburg's shop tour a few weeks ago and they have many brand new guys there to keep up with all of their contract work. Plus, they have dedicated crews for their car shop, boiler work, welders and machinists. And I'm not making this up, this came from the shop tour guide who gave the tour. They have around 15 people working in their shop.

Steamtown on the other hand has had to maintain two of the east coast's largest operating engines while keeping a dozen passenger cars in service and the restoration of two more engines. There are only two dedicated car shop workers who have to help on other projects when necessary. Currently, 3713 does not have a dedicated crew as they've all been busy rebuilding the car fleet and ensuring 3254 gets repaired since different problems have come up on it this past winter. Considering the fact that they're all working on other projects, I'm surprised to see that the 26 is showing progress.  

The shop at Steamtown has less than 10 people full time. The park, as a unit of the National Park Service, has to ride the tides of budget crunches and different hiring regulations that the government puts on it. Steamtown's 5 million dollar budget, while it may seem like a lot, doesn't go as far as one may think. Maintenance, salaries, grounds keeping, even things like pens and paper all come out of that budget. AND, that's one of the higher budgets that the Park Service has, considering Steamtown's attendance numbers. Let's also remember that the Park Service does not want Steamtown and never did in the first place.  

Bottom line, the Park has a lot of critics internally. Let's not make things harder by nit picking everything that we see on the outside without lending a helping hand. Plus, don't get me started on all the other operations who have been restoring engines for a decade now without progress. Yet, everyone else gives them a break and commends them for all they do.

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2012, 9:18pm by 3254Fan » Logged

Moderates: East Broad Top
YeOldeEnjine
Historian

« Reply #195 on: Jun 17th, 2012, 11:50pm »

on Jun 17th, 2012, 9:14pm, 3254Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 Who is this Railroad Buff? ........    

Mr. Lenny Shaner

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #196 on: Jun 18th, 2012, 4:27pm »

on Jun 16th, 2012, 9:28pm, Railroad_Buff wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Tim

OK, we have gotten the message that you are very negative about Strasburg.  It is getting really old and tiring.  Give it a rest

I think it is time that the moderator just has an automatic delete reaction when he sees the Railroad Buff character.

Brian Tusin
Historian

« Reply #197 on: Jun 18th, 2012, 4:35pm »

It does seem like they are making good progress, but I doubt it will be out anytime this or next year.  I am not bashing Steamtown, I can tell they are doing one of the most complete rebuilds since the steam era.

« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2012, 4:38pm by Brian Tusin » Logged
Railroad_Buff
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #198 on: Jun 19th, 2012, 9:39pm »

I'm not bashing Steamtown. I'm stating only the truth , that I see fit. Also I'm not Mr. Shaner. But we have been over this dead horse a few times. I didn't say anything about Strasburg , just that their crew knows what their doing.  

Unless you have all positive talk in here your happy, but if some one steps on some toes, your right ready to hit back.  I live in the real world of Black / White.  

There is more then only two people in the shop btw. You have Ray, Barb, Little Mike, Big Mike, Bruce Mowbray, Big Dave and Little Dave, Kevin, Mike Tilger, and few others.  Plus Bensman's crew working on B&M 3713 . I know many people who work there. and I'm friends with Garry Bensman.  

But I don't know nothing?

Tim

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2012, 9:46pm by Railroad_Buff » Logged
Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #199 on: Jun 19th, 2012, 10:17pm »

on Jun 19th, 2012, 9:39pm, Railroad_Buff wrote:       (Click here for original message)
But I don't know nothing?

Tim

Double negative!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »