Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 21st, 2017, 9:47am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Engine Discussion: #26
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Engine Discussion: #26
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Engine Discussion: #26  (Read 15433 times)
565fan
Historian
Re: Engine Discussion: #26

« Reply #160 on: Jan 4th, 2012, 11:56pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I took the following photos on Dec. 16, and haven't had much chance to post them.  Things are developing nicely on our 0-6-0.

In case there is ever a wonder on how many tubes and stay bolts are in this little boiler, wonder no longer.  All tubes were inserted, reamed, rolled and peened over.  An air pressure test passed very well.  I just don't have a good photo of the tube sheet with all the tubes inside.

This gauge is for when the pressure tests are done.  At least two hydrostatic boiler tests have been taken.  A few leaks were found.  Not a big deal, but they know what needs fixing because of this test.

Another encouraging sign is the gathering of the fire grates, which have been stored for quite a while.  Some need their own repair.

In November and early December, the wheel sets were on the lathe for turning of the bronze bearings just inside the wheel castings.  Nice and shiny now.

The shoe (left) and wedge (right) are inserted in the frame to bracket the drive boxes which were shown in an earlier thread.

Some of the valve gear was installed on the frame too.  The crossheads were being machined over the summer months to fit just right inside their guides.  The guides were not perfectly straight, and the crossheads wore down a lot because of that.  All those slightly wobbly areas are now fixed.

A closer view of the crossheads. A lot of little work leads to a big locomotive running on her own.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #161 on: Jan 5th, 2012, 12:05am »

Symbolic of ringing in the new year, last week, Number 26 had her bell returned last week.  Things are looking up for her, and I caught these bits today.

The butterfly style firebox door was being adjusted today so it will fit on the back head.  A minor change in the position of the studs that hold this piece on has led to some grinding of the door to fit properly.

The grates are now arranged neatly, and will be installed in the firebox rather soon.

Even 26's tender has a few extra parts since the big move placed the cistern on top of the frame.  Here we see the chains and drawbar.

And for a fuller picture, we see the doors that hold the coal in the bunker have also been added and painted.  She is ready to roll. Just need the engine part to finish the job.

www.project3713.com

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #162 on: Jan 5th, 2012, 2:47pm »

Looking good 565! It's come along way since I last saw it! Thanks for the pics! I'll have to stop by there soon!

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
EJW425
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #163 on: May 19th, 2012, 9:46pm »

Why don't they work on #3713 or a larger engine? That engine can maybe pull 3 passanger cars max it's just gonna be used for yard runs...not to Moscow or anything. Hate to be negative  

Favorite Favorite Operating Steamers:
Fallen Flags: 1) R&N 425
DL&W 2) SRR 90
Lehigh Valley 3) NKP 765
PRR
L&NE
koasterkidd
Enthusiast
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #164 on: May 20th, 2012, 10:24am »

on May 19th, 2012, 9:46pm, Railfan425 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Why don't they work on #3713 or a larger engine? That engine can maybe pull 3 passanger cars max it's just gonna be used for yard runs...not to Moscow or anything. Hate to be negative  

They are! 3713 IS being restored. 26 is a VERY important locomotive for the site, because they need 26 for the Scranton Limited to free up time for the larger locomotives to go on the mainline. Plus, it's STEAM!

Railroad_Buff
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #165 on: May 20th, 2012, 9:18pm »

How come they are taking so long on this small 0-6-0?  If it was Strasburg it be done already.

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #166 on: May 21st, 2012, 12:17am »

Well Railroad_Buff, it all comes down to manpower and resources. There are only a limited amount of shop personel. There time is spent either inspecting and repairing the passenger coaches, upkeep on current operable steam locomotives, diesel locomotives, and everything else in between. With the current state of the Federal Goverment and their financial cutbacks, just be thankful that Steamtown has what it has. 26 will be operating in the next few years and possibly the B&M 3713. CP 2317 is currently out of operation time and has to go through a complete rebuild. Steamtown's mission is more to preserve history through demonstrations, actual operations, and the museum complex itself. Strasburg for example is a FOR PROFIT entity, in which Steamtown is not. Take a tour at Steamtown one day and ask the shop personel what they have to do on a regular basis with limited manpower.

koasterkidd
Enthusiast
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #167 on: May 21st, 2012, 8:14am »

on May 21st, 2012, 12:17am, NKP759fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well Railroad_Buff, it all comes down to manpower and resources. There are only a limited amount of shop personel. There time is spent either inspecting and repairing the passenger coaches, upkeep on current operable steam locomotives, diesel locomotives, and everything else in between. With the current state of the Federal Goverment and their financial cutbacks, just be thankful that Steamtown has what it has. 26 will be operating in the next few years and possibly the B&M 3713. CP 2317 is currently out of operation time and has to go through a complete rebuild. Steamtown's mission is more to preserve history through demonstrations, actual operations, and the museum complex itself. Strasburg for example is a FOR PROFIT entity, in which Steamtown is not. Take a tour at Steamtown one day and ask the shop personel what they have to do on a regular basis with limited manpower.

To add to the amount of manpower, at some times, it would only be one or two people working on her (because of availability, etc.). Not to mention that they have had to work on more important projects, such as their operating fleet of passenger cars, maintenance on their own locomotives, sometimes visiting locomotives, and so on. She's getting there, but you all need to give them time, and let them do their job. Plus, would you rather have her finished right, thoroughly, and with pride? Or rather her be out fast, patched together with scotch tape, and have her dropping eccentric rods all over the park? So before the question is asked (again) she'll be out when she's out.

« Last Edit: May 21st, 2012, 8:17am by koasterkidd » Logged
Railroad_Buff
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #168 on: May 22nd, 2012, 7:25pm »

You know if you keep making excuses long enough , You'll start believing them your self.  
Steamtown has been a government money pit for years.

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #169 on: May 22nd, 2012, 10:44pm »

I see your a pessimist Railroad Buff. Your like many people, criticizing when you have no idea what your talking about. Volunteer at the shops in Steamtown then see the hurdles that they have to overcome everyday. That is all.

koasterkidd
Enthusiast
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #170 on: May 23rd, 2012, 8:14am »

I completely agree with you, NKP759fan! And Railroad_Buff, have you ever even visited Steamtown? Just taking the shop tour alone will help you understand. I took the shop tour during RailCamp, and I learned what really has been going on. And don't even bring up that webpage about Steamtown being "A Failed Mission," because the person who created that webpage told me himself that he has seen extreme improvement over the years, and will re-do his "review" because of this. So stop being a foamer and stop making up ways to criticize.

Railroad_Buff
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #171 on: May 23rd, 2012, 11:27pm »

Well, Guy's I have been there many many times. So your not fooling any one hear.  
The fact the Government Can't run the country , and they sure the heck can't run an operating rail museum.  Just my Two cents.

Tim

Ashley_John
Historian

« Reply #172 on: May 24th, 2012, 9:04am »

on May 23rd, 2012, 11:27pm, Railroad_Buff wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well, Guy's I have been there many many times. So your not fooling any one hear.  
The fact the Government Can't run the country , and they sure the heck can't run an operating rail museum.  Just my Two cents.

Tim

I only have one thing to say: get involved - volunteer and help make things happen. You CAN make a difference!

Riding the rails of the past via media and exploration.
wrg113
Railfan

« Reply #173 on: May 24th, 2012, 10:29am »

Success is measured by more than just what and how many choo choos are puffing around the yard and how many trips are run to the Water Gap. Steamtown has many layers of responisbility and a vast collection of archives, railroad history relics, etc. for which they do an A+ job.

Take my advice. Don't ever work at a Thomas event.
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #174 on: May 24th, 2012, 11:48am »

Well said Gentlemen. Steamtown is a step back in history. Where else can you have that feel. Strasburg is nice, but you dont get the history feel there. Steamtown is smack in the middle of where the Industrial Revolution began. Just stand in the 1902 Roundhouse where the cutaway locomotive is and you can imagine what a place it was in the hayday of Steam. Take a walk out in the yards and know that the ground you are on held hundreds and hundreds of locomotives but all different railroads. Steamtown surely is an amazing place and truly is a step back in time.

koasterkidd
Enthusiast
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #175 on: May 24th, 2012, 12:13pm »

on May 24th, 2012, 11:48am, NKP759fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well said Gentlemen. Steamtown is a step back in history. Where else can you have that feel. Strasburg is nice, but you dont get the history feel there. Steamtown is smack in the middle of where the Industrial Revolution began. Just stand in the 1902 Roundhouse where the cutaway locomotive is and you can imagine what a place it was in the hayday of Steam. Take a walk out in the yards and know that the ground you are on held hundreds and hundreds of locomotives but all different railroads. Steamtown surely is an amazing place and truly is a step back in time.

I salute you, NKP759fan! lol

koasterkidd
Enthusiast
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #176 on: May 24th, 2012, 12:28pm »

on May 23rd, 2012, 11:27pm, Railroad_Buff wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Tim

6 things:  

1. I think that you are a child.
2. I think that you are a foamer.
3. You tell me 5 things that proves that Steamtown is poorly managed.
4. You tell me 10 things you know about restoring, operating, and maintaining a steam locomotive.
5. Tell me how to thoroughly perform a 1472 day inspection under limited funding and limited manpower.
6. Tell me how your two cents has any credibility.

Answer them. If you can answer them and you have reasonable points,then good for you. Do you want a cookie? If not, then don't go criticizing a historic site for being what it is. You know, F. Nelson Blount didn't HAVE to have this collection, but he was generous enough to snatch up what he could before his tragic death.

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2012, 12:30pm by koasterkidd » Logged
Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #177 on: May 30th, 2012, 12:26pm »

on May 22nd, 2012, 7:25pm, Railroad_Buff wrote:       (Click here for original message)
You know if you keep making excuses long enough , You'll start believing them your self.  
Steamtown has been a government money pit for years.  

You can complain behind a railroad forum screen name, or you can get your butt in gear and volunteer at Steamtown to get the engines moving again.

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
bassman
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #178 on: May 30th, 2012, 2:05pm »

on May 22nd, 2012, 10:44pm, NKP759fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I see your a pessimist Railroad Buff. Your like many people, criticizing when you have no idea what your talking about. Volunteer at the shops in Steamtown then see the hurdles that they have to overcome everyday. That is all.

It's "you're" not your. That is all.

bass guitar since 1975
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #179 on: May 30th, 2012, 6:25pm »

Congratulations Bassman!! 7 years on the forum and your the first person to pick out a grammar error that I made. Keep up the good work!!  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »