Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 26th, 2017, 4:56am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Engine Discussion: #26
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Engine Discussion: #26
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Engine Discussion: #26  (Read 15366 times)
565fan
Historian
Re: Engine Discussion: #26

« Reply #140 on: Nov 2nd, 2010, 9:44pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The metal brackets on the tubesheet are to allow the forklift to push it in place when the crane picks up the sheet.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #141 on: Nov 2nd, 2010, 9:54pm »

Above is the drawcut shaper, which has been busy cutting the driveboxes for 26 the last few weeks.

Five of her six driveboxes await the insertion of their new bearings next to the shaper.

The Bullard cutmaster is shaping the new bearings just a few feet away.

After the bearings are inserted in the driveboxes, the assembly will be placed on the axles of the drive wheel sets.  Of course the wrapping on the axles will be removed.

The assembly will then be placed in the frame.  She will be rolling soon.  Steaming will still take some time.    Anyone want to wager on her first day running?  

www.project3713.com

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #142 on: Nov 4th, 2010, 9:21pm »

on Nov 2nd, 2010, 9:54pm, 565fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Above is the drawcut shaper, which has been busy cutting the driveboxes for 26 the last few weeks.

Five of her six driveboxes await the insertion of their new bearings next to the shaper.

The Bullard cutmaster is shaping the new bearings just a few feet away.

After the bearings are inserted in the driveboxes, the assembly will be placed on the axles of the drive wheel sets.  Of course the wrapping on the axles will be removed.

The assembly will then be placed in the frame.  She will be rolling soon.  Steaming will still take some time.    Anyone want to wager on her first day running?  

Love the pics! I'm going to wager.....June 2011?

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
565fan
Historian

« Reply #143 on: Dec 15th, 2010, 2:05pm »

LOL, Max.  You might be right.

I heard that the shop crews have begun riveting the front end tube sheet in place, and this is coming along quickly.  After that, they will rivet the smokebox to the boiler.  This will give them stable footing to guide the tubes in between the sheets, before stretching, and beading the tubes in place.  When she is sealed up, the hydrostatic test will take place.  When the boiler passes inspection, final assembly will begin.  This looks to be an interesting year coming up.

No photos, sad to say.

www.project3713.com

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #144 on: Dec 28th, 2010, 5:09pm »

on Dec 15th, 2010, 2:05pm, 565fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
LOL, Max.  You might be right.

I heard that the shop crews have begun riveting the front end tube sheet in place, and this is coming along quickly.  After that, they will rivet the smokebox to the boiler.  This will give them stable footing to guide the tubes in between the sheets, before stretching, and beading the tubes in place.  When she is sealed up, the hydrostatic test will take place.  When the boiler passes inspection, final assembly will begin.  This looks to be an interesting year coming up.

No photos, sad to say.

Missed this post a while back, but that is absolutely FABULOUS news! Once final assembly comes around, things move fast. Exciting times in Scranton.

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #145 on: Dec 28th, 2010, 5:24pm »

Does this mean we could see her back under steam for 2011 or are we still a ways off?  I know she'll be doing switcher duties, but will they be tapping her for the Ltd runs during the week as well?

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #146 on: Dec 28th, 2010, 5:35pm »

on Dec 28th, 2010, 5:24pm, montclaire wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Does this mean we could see her back under steam for 2011 or are we still a ways off?  I know she'll be doing switcher duties, but will they be tapping her for the Ltd runs during the week as well?

Unless something unexpected comes up, I'd say the 2011 season is a safe bet, though perhaps not at the beginning of it in April or May. I'm speculating she'll head up the Scranton Limited most days, as well as cab rides-could be off though. She may be used on the caboose runs as well.

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #147 on: Dec 28th, 2010, 5:38pm »

A debut at Railfest would be nice.  That should give the shop enough time to iron out all the bugs.

« Last Edit: Dec 28th, 2010, 5:39pm by montclaire » Logged
Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #148 on: Dec 28th, 2010, 6:49pm »

on Dec 28th, 2010, 5:38pm, montclaire wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A debut at Railfest would be nice.  That should give the shop enough time to iron out all the bugs.

Something tells me June...I don't know why. We'll see. In order to get the bugs out, the loco would have to be broken in, so they'd probably want her broken in before Railfest-if in fact she is completed. I have faith in that shop, however.

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
afboone
Railfan

« Reply #149 on: Dec 30th, 2010, 7:52am »

Gents, I worked in the shop yesterday on some of the parts for 565 and the shop is a buzz with work on #26.  They are milling the crossheads and journal boxes to their final dimensions.  Also the front sheet is riveted in and they are cleaning up the rivet heads.  Still lots of work to do but making very good progress.  I think we can all agree this is going to be a "new" engine when she rolls out.

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #150 on: Dec 30th, 2010, 10:06am »

Excellent news!  Please keep us updated on the progress, and thank you for your work.

« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2010, 10:52am by montclaire » Logged
montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #151 on: Jun 23rd, 2011, 12:36pm »

Anything new to discuss on the Baldwin?

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #152 on: Jun 23rd, 2011, 2:32pm »

i was up on tuesday.  Took the shop tour and from what the tour guide was saying, 26 isn't going to be done until next year at the earliest due to the fact that the shop has to do a couple things that they don't know how to do, such as welding the pipes that hold the crown sheet to the roof sheet.  They have to build mock-ups in order to practice before they do the real thing.  On the plus side though, we were told 3713 is looking at being done within the next 3 years

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #153 on: Jun 24th, 2011, 12:50am »

I honestly don't see 3713 being back on the rails within 3 years.  There is a LOT left to go on that engine.  Maybe they meant to say it needs to be finished within three years, as I have no idea how close 3254 is on her tear down, but that could certainly be playing a part.

26 illustrates what aggrevates me about Steamtown.  It's fine if the staff has to learn a new task, but bring in someone who already knows how to do it, who can get the work done and teach the regular staff how to do it properly in a timely manner, and let's move on.  

Delaying the Baldwin delays 3713, and neither prospect is a good one.  That also means that the FEDs are going to push for all diesel power on the excursions if 26 is not there to provide a "steam experience."

I'm not one of the "must restore everything in the yard to working order" type of person, but I do think that Steamtown really needs to have two engines ready to fire with a third under repair at all times.  If you're not meeting that, spend what you need to until you're there.

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #154 on: Jun 25th, 2011, 12:18am »

nah, he said 3 to 4 years and actually explained it out.  Theoretically, all the pieces needed for the firebox will be at steamtown by september, then its just a matter of getting all the sheets drill for stays and installed.  He said the bulk of the boilerwork was done and that they have all the flues and such, so unless they're doing a full rework of the running gear, I can see it getting done in 3 to 4 years, as long as shop work is consistant.  

I agree with you completely that they need to have at least 2 steamers.  The F3s and the FP7s are cool and all, but they kind of have a name to uphold.  I've always been a fan of shutting down the museum for a year and funneling most of the government funding into the shop.  If you think about about, running all the bare minimums to keep the museum in working order would probably cost a million, maybe a little more.  That would leave 4 million left to go into the shop.  3713 needs 2.2 mil to be finished, but theyve raised over 1.3 already, and i highly doubt 26 requires that much more money.  Just one year, and they could be where they need to be.

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #155 on: Jun 26th, 2011, 4:32pm »

True, funds are a part of the sometimes sluggish pace, but I'd keep in mind the fact that the shop crew isn't that big, either. I'm not sure of the exact number, but I've heard it is relatively small. Finding someone who is interested in volunteering and who knows what they are doing is pretty challenging, I'd imagine. Patience is a virtue we must master when it comes to Steamtown. Good things come to those who wait.

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
Brian Tusin
Historian

« Reply #156 on: Jun 26th, 2011, 9:59pm »

When I was at Steamtown last year in August, they were saying #26 would be ready by now.  I think having a steam excursion to Moscow is a MUCH better experience then the Scranton Limited train ride.  Their excursion route is great, and there really is not any other place that does run steam excursions like Steamtown on the regular basis like they do.  If they don't run 3254 on the excursions it just won't be the same, and there is no real reason to travel there from a long distance like me since I have been there before.  My point is that, yes the Scranton limited train rides are nice but it is nothing like taking an excursion to Moscow or beyond behind a steam engine.

I hope Steamtown will get the 26 running next year, but I am placing my bets on 2013 before it is out and running.  I am not trying to be negative, but I am just going on by what I have seen in the past.  The wheels are not even back under the frame yet and the boiler is still not done.  I am not trying to bash Steamtown, I am just trying to be a realist.

On a side note does anyone know when 3254 goes down for its 1472 day inspection?  I am guessing it has to be getting within 6 or so years.

Brian

montclaire
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #157 on: Jun 30th, 2011, 12:40pm »

Brian, I have been asking that question for a while now and I don't recall getting a good answer, so I can't say.  The "limited runs" may also have something to do with the fact that they are on an active freight line, which may restrict their use on weekdays - I'm sure someone can fill us in on that.  

I'd also like to remind anyone local or passing through that the L&WV does briefly open up the Moscow station on excursion days, and that the proceeds go towards restoring 3713. They have reasonably priced refreshments and souvineers for sale, and you get to see 3254 steam in with a loaded passenger consist.  There is no cost to just show up.  It's a great option if you have small children who may not be able to make the full trip.  

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2011, 12:41pm by montclaire » Logged
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #158 on: Aug 21st, 2011, 12:31am »

Any updates on this little guy?

565fan
Historian

« Reply #159 on: Oct 8th, 2011, 10:25pm »

After several months of seemingly nothing happening with this 0-6-0, we see some sparks of life in her boiler.  This is a close-up view of 16 boiler tubes installed and clipped in at the smokebox end of the boiler.  

A slightly different angle on the same location.  The nuts and bolts are holding up a shelf of sorts inside the boiler.  I'm not exactly sure why.

I didn't have great lighting for the above view, but this is from inside the firebox.  The firetubes are already rolled, reamed and peened at this end.  I don't know what the next steps are, but this is promising.  

« Last Edit: Oct 8th, 2011, 10:27pm by 565fan » Logged

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »