Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 23rd, 2017, 1:12pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Engine Discussion: #26
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Engine Discussion: #26
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  15 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Engine Discussion: #26  (Read 15439 times)
565fan
Historian
Re: Engine Discussion: #26

« Reply #120 on: Nov 27th, 2008, 7:49pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi, LV Lou:  The easy part would be finding skilled people to do the work.  The biggest motivator is a paycheck, and the pay is good. People who want to work in Scranton will move there.  

The difficult part is fitting the hiring process around the various regulations, initiatives, political ideologies (sometimes) and the other pressing concerns of a National Park.  The park's operating budget hasn't changed much since 1994. The cost of heating and cooling the buildings, maintaining road and track, salary, coal, vehicles and other things have gone up considerably.  This is just stretching the dollar that much thinner.  I can't go into much more detail, because I am not certain of all that goes into hiring a person to perform a task.  Butthe loco shop is only one area in a large business that needs attention.  

Since I haven't seen the Extreme Trains, I can't comment on what was said by whom, but the filming and riveting took place on April 10, 2008.  That mudring riveting wasn't just for show.  All of the mudring is now secure with the firebox sheets.  The main activity the last month has been installing the radial stays in the crown sheet area.  Along with that, the brand new crosshead guides are being adjusted to accept the crossheads, which join the piston rod with the main drive rods.

www.project3713.com

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #121 on: Nov 27th, 2008, 8:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

What I always thought would be a good idea for the NPS, is to enlist volunteers who wanna help out running and working on the operating trains, and using the skills of those (paid) who can work in the shop. People who want to be there and play choo choo, will be happy, and with more people free to work in the shop, work would possibly progress at perhaps a steadier rate.  

But that's just my idea. Glad to hear the return of #26 is imminant.
- Adam

port_richmond
Railfan

« Reply #122 on: Nov 27th, 2008, 9:00pm »

Adam,
   Many railroads do that, however many of the folks that are paid and
work(paid staff) also want to have some fun on the operating end as
well.
   See you soon at N-trak for a holiday visit............and hope you did
not eat to much today.............

Eric

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #123 on: Nov 27th, 2008, 9:29pm »

N-Trak? Where's that happening at?

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
565fan
Historian

« Reply #124 on: Jan 26th, 2009, 2:24pm »

January, 2009 update:
  With a few exceptions, all of the firebox staybolts needed for Baldwin no. 26 are in place, joining the combustion chamber with the wrapper sheet.  The exceptions are where three rows of two bolts, one coming from the outside, another from the inside, will be joined with turnbuckles.  This is similar to the arrangement of bolts in Steamtown's no. 8 sectioned locomotive.  Last week the ends of the bolts sticking out of the steel sheets were being cut down to 1/4" or so, whereby they can be pounded flat with an air hammer.  

This is big news, yet still a long way to go.

www.project3713.com

violin1238
Chaser
Re: Engine Discussion: #26 Target date?

« Reply #125 on: Feb 20th, 2009, 4:44pm »

I understand that much work is still required in the rebuilding of the locomotive. Are we looking for a return in 2009 or 2010 at this point? no rush.

J. M. Fusco
Historian
Re: Engine Discussion: #26 Target date?

« Reply #126 on: Mar 8th, 2009, 4:22am »

on Feb 20th, 2009, 4:44pm, violin1238 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I understand that much work is still required in the rebuilding of the locomotive. Are we looking for a return in 2009 or 2010 at this point? no rush.

I can't speak for the park service itself or those who work on the #26 but from past experience... With Steamtown and steam locomotives in general...

If you expect 26 out this year or next, you may very well be dissapointed. Just sit back and wait until she's ready, target dates for her completion really don't mean much. I'm not saying she won't be done this year or the next... I'm saying I don't think she will be...

565fan
Historian

« Reply #127 on: Sep 21st, 2009, 4:04pm »

September 2009 update.
Firebox work continues.  Since August, the workers have been peening over the staybolts on the exterior of the firebox.  This work is coming along quickly.  Interior will take time, due to them working in a confined space. There are strict regulations on how much time they can spend in the small firebox, and as you can imagine, it will get pretty hot in there.  

I make no predictions on when she will run, but the assembly of the parts will seem very quick.  Most of the individual part work is done, and has been waiting to be put back in or on the locomotive.  The tender trucks are totally disassembled, with each arch-bar getting sandblasted, checked, repaired and painted.  Same for the springs.  She will be a thing of beauty when she is back on the rails.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #128 on: Apr 15th, 2010, 10:56pm »

These two photos were taken last Summer, when this beam was taken off the tender frame of Baldwin no. 26. It sits on the front end of the tender, the part that faces the rear of the cab.  The footplate for the fireman rests on top of it.  

While it is generally a solid piece of wood, there are splits that run nearly the length of it.  It would only hold up for a short time if it was returned to the frame.  Another beam was ordered.

Here it is on the day it was delivered, June 24.  This new beam has been hewn, painted black, and the chains have been added to it. The chains act as a reinforcement of the drawbar when it is added to the engine.  Yesterday the crews were working on the bumper that will be placed on the beam too.  
There are all types of "little" jobs like this going on with no. 26.  Each part will lead to her ultimate return to steam.
I hope to post pics of the progress soon.  I have to take them first!

www.project3713.com

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #129 on: Apr 29th, 2010, 8:37pm »

Baldwin Locomotive Works #26 Progress:
-Tender cistern is complete except exterior paint job and mount on frame.  This is a big step forward. The truck unit tower castings will be done by May 14th..until then we are held up waiting on them. Once we get those we can re-assemble the truck units, attach the frame to the trucks, attach the cistern to the frame, and put it in the paint booth for exterior painting.
-The firebox crown stay bolt job is complete. That was the toughest part of the stay bolt job. Currently, we are finishing up the flexi-stays inside the firebox. We will be applying a pexior coating to the barrel of the boiler in a few weeks.  
-This summer we anticipate installing the front tube sheet, the dry pipe, and all the 2 tubes. We also anticipate completing work on the crosshead guides and crossheads, shoes and wedges, journal boxes, and brasses.

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
School of Film & Photography
Class of 2015
565fan
Historian

« Reply #130 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 11:57am »

My latest photo shows the tender cistern atop the frame and wood planks.  

A few mechanics are inspecting the work done.  This was taken June 6.

www.project3713.com

restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #131 on: Jun 17th, 2010, 11:57am »

Idk how much weight this hold, some of you guys that work there could tell me better, but the shop tour guide and one of the shop workers told me she'll be up and running soon.  Ther guide said September (tad on the optimistic side) and the shop worker said March.  Either way, she's almost there!

565fan
Historian

« Reply #132 on: Sep 15th, 2010, 9:41pm »

"Soon" is a good term, since it is both hopeful and vague, so I think it fits here.
I make no promise or predictions on when a locomotive will work, unless I am told to expect it on day x.  
As far as 2011, there are many appropriate target dates that she COULD make a debut, such as National Parks week in April, Memorial Day, July 4th, Railfest, or even Oct. 30, which is the 25th anniversary of the signing of the bill creating Steamtown as a National Historic Site in 1986.  Even if her first fire is in December, I will be happy to see her alive and steaming, so the park will have another year of 2 live steaming locomotives.[

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #133 on: Sep 16th, 2010, 8:57pm »

Back in mid August, the pistons were inserted in the cylinder sleeves.  Here is the engineer's side of the steam chest.

This is the piston rod, coming out the back of the steam chest, situated between the crosshead guides.

On the fireman's side, the cylinder head is on, and the socket wrench is there to torque all the nuts down tight.

In other work, this is the new material to be machined down to make new bearings for the drive boxes, which have also been machined recently (see below)...

www.project3713.com

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #134 on: Oct 27th, 2010, 8:58pm »

Late breaking news on 26! After countless hours of work, 26's boiler is complete, including flues! It has been painted with rust converter, and is ready to be mounted back on the chassis! Her tender is also complete, minus the trucks. Watch for the work to progress quickly guys!

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
restore_RV15
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #135 on: Oct 27th, 2010, 11:08pm »

Awesome! Can't wait to see her running again!

mike_tillger

View Profile  

« Reply #136 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 9:37am »

Unfortunately Max's information is a bit premature. While the boiler has been painted inside and out with special boiler paint, the front tube sheet and boiler tubes are still awaiting installation. The 26 project is progressing nicely, please be patient.

Mike Tillger

Max Hamberger
Railfan

« Reply #137 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 11:02am »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 9:37am, mike_tillger wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Unfortunately Max's information is a bit premature. While the boiler has been painted inside and out with special boiler paint, the front tube sheet and boiler tubes are still awaiting installation. The 26 project is progressing nicely, please be patient.

Mike Tillger

Whoops! My mistake, Mike. I guess my information was faulty....in any event, she is progressing nicely. Mike is right, patience-a railfanner's virtue-is key with 26.

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2010, 11:06am by Max Hamberger » Logged

Best,
Maxwell Hamberger
Montana State University
Class of 2015
565fan
Historian

« Reply #138 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 10:25pm »

She certainly looks Purrr-ty in her new charcoal colored paint, after 5 years in the pea-soup green.  I will have to take photos and post them soon.
A long hidden piece of the boiler, the smokebox, is now the same color as the rest of the boiler, sitting in the back shop area by the drive rods and the cab.  
All 6 of the drive boxes that will rest atop the axles are now reprofiled. The bronze bearings are being cut down on the Bullard cutmaster machine to make them fit the drive boxes.  This is really an interesting time to be at Steamtown.  There are so many parts nearly ready for assembly that you can piece them together in your mind like a puzzle.  When an engine is assembled, it's tougher to imagine how so many parts fit together.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #139 on: Nov 2nd, 2010, 9:42pm »

These photos were taken on Halloween 2010.  Sunday is a quiet day in the shop, so that is why no workers are obvious in the shots.  Here is 26's newly painted boiler.  All staybolts and rivets are in.

And the front end.  There are spacer bars inside to stabilize the boiler when it comes time to place the tube sheet in place.

Here is the tube sheet.  Only a few feet from her final destination.

This final shot isn't great, but here is the smokebox, behind the rods.  I haven't found the smokestack in a while, but that is in good shape.

www.project3713.com

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  15 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »