Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 24th, 2017, 11:59pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Engine Discussion: #26
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Engine Discussion: #26
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  15 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Engine Discussion: #26  (Read 15237 times)
565fan
Historian
Re: Engine Discussion: #26

« Reply #100 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 11:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

December 2007 update.  After several months of paying attention to no. 2317, work has begun again on our favorite 0-6-0.  Right before Christmas, repairs to straighten the frame began, by welding rings to the rails to secure a chain device called a come-along.  Wires running from the cylinder centers to the rear of the frame are helping to re-allign the cast metal, which is no easy task.

26's firebox is also getting back in the swing of things with repairs to her firebox.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #101 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 11:58pm »

March 2008 update:
More on the frame straightening.  The wires mentioned above acted as more of a guide to see how straight the frame pieces were going.  Heavy jacks on the rear end hoisted that part while they adjusted other parts.  New metal wedges, blocks and binders are now ready to go in the axle boxes of the frame, when the frame is ready.  The axles will fit inside horseshoe-shaped bearing boxes, on top of the binders.

If you didn't know, no. 26 has slide valves, not piston valves.  Slide valves have a rectangular block, sitting inside a tennis racket-like frame, atop the seat which lets the steam down to the cylinder.  The valves were ground to be flat last summer on a machine.  The seat is now being ground with a heavy grit sander, so it can also be flat.  Over the years, this seat became bowed up due possibly to the warped frame.  With a straight frame and squared valves, I'm told her ride will be incredibly smooth.  We can only hope.

Work on the boiler continues, but no new rivets as of yet.

www.project3713.com

565fan
Historian

« Reply #102 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 11:31pm »

April 2008 update.  I know I've been monopolizing this thread lately, so please chime in with your comments.

Anyway, last week, about 20 or so hot rivets were added to the engineer's side of the firebox mud ring.  As far as I can see, her new combustion chamber inside the firebox is totally welded now, so she is still coming along.  

More adjustments on the slide valve area being done.  The rest of the frame will get a boost when the drive boxes, which hold the axles in the frame are finished in their machining.  Then, we'll see the wheelsets added, the springs, and rods, and... oh I'm getting ahead of myself.  That's it for now.

www.project3713.com

Anthony_RMLI
Former Member

« Reply #103 on: Jun 30th, 2008, 7:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

She's getting there. I hope to see her progress Next week.

Anthony

Ollie
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #104 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 8:28pm »

Any work been done sense the last post?

Anthony_RMLI
Former Member
  SNHS_034.jpg - 84554 Bytes
« Reply #105 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 9:29pm »

It looks like it will be a while. I hope she is out soon. When I was there all the attention was on 3713. I would love to see 4 live steamers at steamtown...... Maybe someday

I do hope she is done before 3454 and 2317 need there 5 year and theres goes faster

Anthony

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Steamtown/SNHS_034.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_RMLI
Former Member

« Reply #106 on: Aug 27th, 2008, 9:49pm »

Looks like good news for 26. Allot can happen in a month.  

http://rypn.sunserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25894  

if you noticed the black paint on the right, you can thank me for some of that    

Anthony

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2008, 9:51pm by anthonyd_SRR » Logged
violin1238
Chaser

« Reply #107 on: Aug 28th, 2008, 4:50pm »

Keep up the good work. It is great that #26 is headed uphill and will be ready. Once #26 is ready Steamtown will have a locomtive perfectly suited to the yards and won't have worry about taking 3254 out more than out on the mainline should any issues occur with 2317 in the meantime.  Please keep up your good work.

Anthony_RMLI
Former Member

« Reply #108 on: Aug 28th, 2008, 6:03pm »

So Steamtown will have (coming soon)

-26 for the yard shuttle  
-3254 for the mainline trips
 So 2 working engines for 2 jobs. Once 26 is out it may be a good idea to service 2317 so she can pull mainline trains. I can also see her being used as a back up for 26.

What do you guys think? I could see both being good. They will really be in good shape if 3713 is finished or 2317 can be a back up for 3254 (and 26 of course)

Anthony

afboone
Railfan

« Reply #109 on: Aug 28th, 2008, 7:36pm »

Anthony,  2317 is due her 5 year inspection.  They already have some of the boiler tubes capped so she is restricted to the yard.  They have the tools but lack of man power that is what slows them down.  They sometimes have to take guys off projects and use them on the excusions or for the daily runs.  If they can get some volunteers to help they can make some progress.  They don't have a full time carpenter anymore so they have to wait sometimes for a volunteer to come in.  So if you can get the word out they are looking for help all the time.  I'm in the military and we are getting a bunch of guys to go up and help on a weekend.  More to follow...........

Steve B.

violin1238
Chaser

« Reply #110 on: Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:39pm »

Yeah Anthony, With 2317 and her status Yes it would be great if she could be a backup. However with her limits and track record of being repaired than going hickup, Having #26 back in steam is a need for steamtown right now. I'm just praying that when they are breaking in the 0-6-0 for the next 15 years of service that she gets the fine tuning that is nesscassary for staying in steam for many years of service. Breaking in a steam locomotive correctly is crucial for the long-term.  

A very good example of this is currently going on at the Cumbres and Toltec where #489 has just returned to steam. The Shop crews there have only ran her as far Cumbres Pass.  Some minor repairs and adjustments are taking place accordingly.

So once #26 is back in steam giving once her test are completed giving #2317 a rest would be a good thing. I'm sure others have different opinions.

afboone
Railfan

« Reply #111 on: Sep 3rd, 2008, 1:28pm »

The shop did alot of what we call in the military "preventive maintenance" stuff.  If it was close to being bad the changed it.  The frame took a long time due to it being bent.  Hopefully we can give them a big hand the end of the month and start getting her back together.

565fan
Historian

« Reply #112 on: Sep 26th, 2008, 11:48pm »

September, 2008 update.  Steam restoration can be so dull sometimes that it looks like nothing is happening.  This is because each rivet looks like each other one, but they all need the same attention.  The same goes for the other multiplied parts.  And yet, every once in a while, you get to see a leap forward.  Two brass (or are they bronze?) check valves have been added to the boiler.  These are inlets or taps that permit the water to enter the boiler, without allowing the boiling water to get back out, so they are a vital part of the operation.  This is progress.

Other developments are the new floor of the tender's water tank, and bolstering up its interior.  That floor is being welded in place now. The tank holds 4750 gallons, which isn't much.  A leak can run away from you if it is allowed to.  This is a bigger project than they planned it to be a few years back.  The trucks of the tender are now off the frame, and I guess the springs are being checked for cracks and any needed repairs.  Looks like the frame is undergoing its own inspection, too. As mentioned in the past, many individual parts are complete, and waiting for AFBoone and others to reassemble her.

www.project3713.com

afboone
Railfan

« Reply #113 on: Sep 27th, 2008, 12:32pm »

565Fan,  Looks like I'm going to get my guys up there around 28-29 OCT.  We are coming up in two crews.  We are working out our teaching schedule to give us max amount of troops up there.  We'll see what we can get done for the guys in the shop.  

Ollie
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #114 on: Oct 26th, 2008, 4:48pm »

Updates  

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2008, 4:49pm by Ollie » Logged

afboone
Railfan

« Reply #115 on: Oct 28th, 2008, 3:00pm »

Ollie,
  We tried to get there today but due to the snow storm, 4 inches  , in Scranton we couldn't get there.  So we are trying again next week.

Anthony_RMLI
Former Member

« Reply #116 on: Oct 28th, 2008, 4:25pm »

WOW it is hard to picture that much snow so early.

Anthony

mikes47jeep
Enthusiast

« Reply #117 on: Oct 28th, 2008, 4:52pm »

theirs 8 inches of snow at my house and its still falling (20 mi north of scranton)

Mike

Ollie
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #118 on: Nov 26th, 2008, 6:15pm »

How about now

LV LOU
Historian

« Reply #119 on: Nov 26th, 2008, 9:05pm »

Don't know if any of you saw it last night,but I think 26 was on Extreme trains on the History Channel.No Idea when it was shot,but they put a rivet in the boiler.565fan,is the problem with not enough people in the shop because the park service won't hire more people,or they can't find any?

When it hits the fan,be the fan...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  15 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »