Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 30th, 2017, 10:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Engine Discussion: CN 3254
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Steamtown
(Moderators: NKP759fan, strasburg90)
   Engine Discussion: CN 3254
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Engine Discussion: CN 3254  (Read 8837 times)
dh7312
Railfan
Re: Engine Discussion: CN 3254

« Reply #180 on: Jun 19th, 2009, 9:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Is 3254 going to get a paint job this year??

Jerry
dh7312
Railfan

« Reply #181 on: Jun 29th, 2009, 5:39pm »

It appears that 3254 is in bearing trouble again after it was dragged along  
by 514 at god knows what speed!! Today i saw both of them in stall 5
still coupled togther 3254 looked like it had its rods off and 514 was being looked at from under it. They must have had one rough trip if both there  
main runners are shot. Sad start to the year !

Jerry
Stall Five Productions
Enthusiast

« Reply #182 on: Jun 29th, 2009, 6:08pm »

It is truly unfortunate what happened this past weekend with CNR 3254. Watching it gimp into Moscow left a pit in my stomach. Those of you interested can view the link to my video. You can clearly see smoke coming from the #1 and #2 main bearings.  

http://www.youtube.com/user/StallFiveProductions#play/all/uploads-all/1/gEL0Pr26Xx8

Stall Five Productions C2009
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #183 on: Jun 30th, 2009, 8:15am »

Isn't that why they generally have the throttle open some while being dragged, to keep the lubricators in operation?

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2009, 8:17am by NHIWW » Logged

GWR90
Historian

« Reply #184 on: Jun 30th, 2009, 5:41pm »

Yes, the entire return trip 3254 was working, but the engineer on the diesel exceeded the speed limit. Steamtowns self imposed speed limit is 25mph, and the DLs speed limit on the pocono main is 40mph. This so called legend at the throttle of the diesel broke the law as well as severely damaging two pieces of equipment, not to get off in a rant here but I think its time he step away. Perhaps he should take up sweeping the roundhouse floor. CN 3254 was successfully test ran the week before at track speed with no problems, so to make a long story short this was human error and not a result of poor workmanship or problems with the engine.

Some technical facts about GWR 2-10-0 #90
Built: June 1924
Builder: Baldwin Locomotive Works
Builders #: 57812
Class: 2-10-0 Light Decapod
Driver Diameter: 56 inches
Weight w/tender: 186 tons
Fuel: Coal 15 tons
Water: 9,000 Gallons
Sold to the SRR for over $35,000.00 in 1967
Anthony RMLI
Former Member

« Reply #185 on: Jun 30th, 2009, 5:59pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Interesting........very interesting

Anthony

Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #186 on: Jun 30th, 2009, 6:46pm »

on Jun 30th, 2009, 8:15am, NHIWW wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Isn't that why they generally have the throttle open some while being dragged, to keep the lubricators in operation?

Actually what I believe you are referring to is when a steam locomotive is coasting or being moved for a long period of time that the throttle should be cracked for lubrication purpose.  While as far as I know the lubricators should still be sending oil to the cylinders regardless of where the throttle is, the steam oil will not have full lubricating properties until mixed with steam at the cylinders.  As it was explained to me by somebody in the chemical know,  the molecules of the steam oil actually grab on to the steam molecules and the steam helps disperse the lubrication evenly.  I also believe the steam might add some lubricating property as well.  

Also cracking the throttle helps cushion the machinery.  If you coast for long periods of time especially at speed with no steam the rods pistons etc.  can take a beating.

All of that aside, I don't see how the cracking of the throttle can attribute to overheated bearings.  

As always please correct me if I am incorrect.  

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

Stall Five Productions
Enthusiast

« Reply #187 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 12:14am »

It just seems very very peculiar to me that after 2 test runs and just coming out of the shop from it's annual inspection within the last month that when it's being dragged at "40mph" from Delaware Water Gap to Moscow the bearings go. We saw this train come through Pocono Summit and I'd be hard pressed to say the engineer of 514 was going as slow as 40.  

on Jun 30th, 2009, 9:42pm, Project565 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Super_foamer, The throttle has nothing to do with lubrication of the locomotive. That's the oil injectors department. I'm not sure if 3254 has automatic oilers,  but the throttles has nothing to do with oiling the locomotive. all the throttle does is to put steam into the cylinders to make the locomotive move. in other words your gas pettle.

Steam locomotives can move fast forward or backwards it really doesn't matter.
For a bearing to over heat isn't because they were going to fast. it can over heat when your only doing 25 mph. A bearing will over heat when there isn't enough lubrication or to much. or it could be defective too.  

Len.
Co-Volunteer Leader on Project 565  

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #188 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 4:55pm »

There is no thread about NPR 514 but from looking at Steamtowns site, next weekends Moscow Excursion will be using NPR 514 for the excursion so it seems the motors weren't burned too bad.  

The following weekend is a Tobyhanna excursion, wonder if 3254 will be repaired by then.  

This is the second year there was a problem during the Water Gap excursion. We rode it in 2007 with #2317.  

Mike

Project565
Chaser

« Reply #189 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 5:17pm »

Just remember your working with antique equipment , it dose break down once an a while.

Len.

Help Cosmetic Restore DL&W 565!PS. Henry set up this account for this project,
WH
Former Member

« Reply #190 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 5:47pm »

Len,

No offense but while yes antique equipment can give you problems now and again, this is obviously not your "average" (average may not be the best word but it'll do) break down or mechanical issue. Both engines have MAJOR issues now.

Personally, I don't consider burning up a traction motor or two as well as bearings on a steam locomotive minor issues and I'll bet both will be down for quite a while. If I was in charge at ST and the engineer was at fault and breaking the rule of the road and damaging two pieces of history, he'd get kicked to the curb. If this is the case here, I think he very well deserves it and ST should toss him no matter how great he is or how much experience he has.

Again, please don't take offense at this post but that is just my view on the subject matter. Best of luck to you on the 565 restoration. I'd be willing to come up and turn a few wrenches if distance wasn't a factor.

Project565
Chaser

« Reply #191 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 6:38pm »

Ok guy's,  
I wrote Will an email, he is in charge of the locomotive shops at steamtown.  
So until I get an answer from him, I think you should stop guessing to what really happen.

Len.

PS. where are you from WH? I'm 2 1/2 hours from Steamtown.

Stall Five Productions
Enthusiast

« Reply #192 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 7:01pm »

Len,

Check out my video Part 5 and Part 6 from the trip. There is CLEARLY smoke coming off of the bearings on CNR 3254 and the smoke coming off of the front truck of 514. There is NO speculation on what happened. It is pretty obvious that this rolling stock has issues.

NHFullTimer

View Profile  

« Reply #193 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 7:02pm »

Len,
You are mistaken about the throttle in regards to lubrication. Superfoamer is correct. The steam carries the steam oil to all points on the surfaces. The oil injectors as you call them just deliver the oil. If you drift a locomotive with no steam you will not only run things dry in the cylinders but also take the chance of sucking ash back into them if they were to develop a vacuum. As for the bearing running hot due to speed and/or direction. A hot axle can come from many things. It may not show on the 1st, 2nd, or even the 20th trip. Could be something got into the grease to contaminate it. Could be something bound up causing it to overheat. After talking with some of the old heads who run that engine and have for years they laugh at the speed/direction issue. We have had hot axles on 40 before even after running for 2-3 weeks after fresh grease cakes were installed. Sometimes these things just happen. Now its time to figure out what happened, why, and what to do to fix it. Best of luck to you guys on the 565 project.

WH
Former Member

« Reply #194 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 7:24pm »

Len,

I'm a tad under 6 hours away with no interest on doing the trip anytime soon.

Project565
Chaser

« Reply #195 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 7:55pm »

on Jul 1st, 2009, 7:24pm, WH wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Len,

I'm a tad under 6 hours away with no interest on doing the trip anytime soon.

WH thanks for the reply, any time you are in the area stop in for a visit I might be that there that day. It be interesting in meeting another railroader. I met quite a few old timers there on June 20th. This one guy actually worked in the Lackwanna shops back in the day when steam roamed the rails. His age is 92. He was very interested to chat with.  And to Full Timer I'm still learning. I never said I know all, because I don't.

Take care all & God bless

Len.

NHFullTimer

View Profile  

« Reply #196 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 8:49pm »

No worries Len, if you get a chance talk to the old guys, listen and learn. I know I still am.

WH
Former Member

« Reply #197 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 9:59pm »

Neat Len. I'm possibly going to be making a trip to the area within the next 6 months or so and possibly visit ST for my first time. My main destination is in Scranton and that was the time Mapquest told me when I punched it in to the computer.  

I'm not sure if you want to call me a railroader. I have a smallish (but larger to me in my town-home which only has so much room) collection of models and my main modeling interest is 3 rail O but I do have N, HO, as well as G. While I enjoy doing scenery, my layout now is of the green carpet variety due to the fact that it makes it easy to do quick changes without having to rip out then rebuild scenery. I also have a strong interest in miniature park trains and hope to be running one (a Chance C.P. Huntington replica) of my favorite trains next year. I have one CPH within 5 minutes of me (I can hear the whistle from my home a mile and a half away) and another within 20-30 depending on the traffic.

Sorry for straying off the subject.

Project565
Chaser

« Reply #198 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 11:42pm »

Hello WH,
 where do you live? I model too. mostly HO and some N scale.

I live near Pottstown, PA.  

Have a great weekend,
Len.

mike_nepa
Historian

« Reply #199 on: Jul 2nd, 2009, 5:03pm »

on Jul 1st, 2009, 5:17pm, Project565 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just remember your working with antique equipment , it dose break down once an a while.

Len.

I understand that but apparently #514's traction motor might not be too bad off since they are listing it as the motive power for the July 4th weekend excursion. Steamtown has been depending on #3254 for the excursions so something was bound to happen. I don't know too much about the damage done to #3254 but it sounds serious.  

Mike

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »