Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 24th, 2017, 8:16am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

ERIE K-1 #2524 in Korea
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Steam Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, CHESSIEMIKE)
   ERIE K-1 #2524 in Korea
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: ERIE K-1 #2524 in Korea  (Read 117 times)
E8 815
Former Member
ERIE K-1 #2524 in Korea

« on: Jun 26th, 2017, 12:03am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

All:

I have read that K-1 #2524 was shipped to Korea in 1953; this engine was still running several years later.

Sightings were made as late as 1969.

Does anyone know what this engine's duties were in Korea (and where it ran)

I would guess that the engine is more than likely long gone, unless a stripped, rusting carcass still remains somewhere (which I very much doubt).......

Thanks in advance or any input on this engine.......

"Erie K-5 #2929"

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2017, 1:46am by Arnine » Logged
George_Harris
Historian
Re: ERIE K-1 #2524 in Korea

« Reply #1 on: Jun 26th, 2017, 2:07pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Sorry, nothing specific to the engine.
I visited the Korean Railroad Museum is Soeul about 10 years ago, and can say most of thte equipment on display it looked really American.  Presumably after WW2 ended most of their equipment came from the US.

Erie K-5 #2929
Former Member

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2017, 2:18pm »

on Jun 26th, 2017, 2:07pm, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sorry, nothing specific to the engine.
I visited the Korean Railroad Museum is Soeul about 10 years ago, and can say most of thte equipment on display it looked really American.  Presumably after WW2 ended most of their equipment came from the US.  

George:

Appreciate your input......thank you!

I am now recalling scenes in the early 1930's movie "SHANGHAI EXPRESS"; the engine that "co stars" here easily could have been carrying "ERIE" or "LACKAWANNA" on its tender! (some great steam scenes in this vintage piece!)

I have also read about another ERIE steamer (a K-5, number unknown) that the railroad contributed it to the Korean War scrap drive; ironically, this engine was to have been set aside to be preserved.

Alas, this was not to be.........

"Erie K-5 #2929

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2017, 2:20pm by Arnine » Logged
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26th, 2017, 6:26pm »

on Jun 26th, 2017, 2:18pm, Erie K-5 #2929 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

George:

Appreciate your input......thank you!

I am now recalling scenes in the early 1930's movie "SHANGHAI EXPRESS"; the engine that "co stars" here easily could have been carrying "ERIE" or "LACKAWANNA" on its tender! (some great steam scenes in this vintage piece!)

However, that did not necessarily have anything to do with the locomotive actually used in the real thing.  Movie trains could be from anywhere.  Remember the movie White Christmas?  In the plot they are on a train from Florida to New England (what happened to the change of trains in New York?)  The two trains seen in the flash of a long fast train running say Southern Pacific and Santa Fe.  What happened to ACL and SAL?  Last I heard if you wanted to go northeast from Florida by rail it had to be one of them unless you wanted to take a long detour on the Southern.

If you want to see a movie involving rail that has realistic stuff on the rail side, see Von Ryan's Express.  It was made with the cooperation of the Italian Stsate Railway, so the various train handling sequences are very real, and I won't even use realistic, but real.  

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jul 8th, 2017, 11:17pm »

I did not see anything here:

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/country.cfm?which=southkorea

But feel free to look closer and prove me wrong.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Erie K-5 #2929
Former Member

« Reply #5 on: Jul 11th, 2017, 12:00am »

on Jul 8th, 2017, 11:17pm, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I did not see anything here:

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/country.cfm?which=southkorea

But feel free to look closer and prove me wrong.
CHESSIEMIKE

CHESSIEMIKE:

Appreciate the link.....thank you!

I didn't see anything about the ERIE engine either; it more than likely she vanished decades ago beneath jungle growth, or was simply cut up......

"Erie K-5 #2929"

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2017, 12:01am by Arnine » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »