Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 30th, 2017, 1:20am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Beyer-Garret
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Steam Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, CHESSIEMIKE)
   Beyer-Garret
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Beyer-Garret  (Read 281 times)
Les_Shepherd
Historian
Beyer-Garret
  500_2513.jpg - 422556 Bytes
« on: Mar 18th, 2015, 5:45am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Considerable hard work by the railfans in Canberra have succeeded in restoring to full mainline operation a 4-8-4+4-8-4 Beyer Garret. Locomotive road number is 6029.

The locomotive worked railfan trains up to the Rail Transport Museum at Thirlmere in late February for the annual Festival of Steam. On both days of he weekend it worked several trains. On the Saturday night a photo opportunity was provided under floodlights when it was given a ride on the turntable.

It has remained on display at Thirlmere since and will be returning to Canberra on sunday 29th when it will work railfan trains south. It is expected to be seen at regular intervals around the country.

The image is of the locomotive and train arriving at Thirlmere on a run on sunday 1st March.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (422556 bytes, 750x500 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 500_2513.jpg - 422556 Bytes

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2015, 5:46am by Les_Shepherd » Logged

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Beyer-Garret

« Reply #1 on: Mar 19th, 2015, 8:09pm »

That is a very impressive piece of motive power, Les. What is the gauge in the Canberra area?

Henry
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Mar 19th, 2015, 10:47pm »

That is very cool! I am sure it will be a lot of fun on excursions too!

Henry

Les_Shepherd
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20th, 2015, 2:24am »

The ACT has only a short spur line in from the NSW network. Accordingly it is standard gauge.

Apparently there is a plan for extensive tours around the national standard gauge network over the next 12 months for the locomotive.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20th, 2015, 6:48pm »

on Mar 20th, 2015, 2:24am, Les_Shepherd wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The ACT has only a short spur line in from the NSW network. Accordingly it is standard gauge.

Apparently there is a plan for extensive tours around the national standard gauge network over the next 12 months for the locomotive.

If that eventuate - maybe it is time for me to get busy and figure out how to pay for a trip Down under. Been there once, had a great time, why not again (other than budget...)?

Les_Shepherd
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22nd, 2015, 1:59am »

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABB0H-U6UWg

The link is 19 minutes from the weekend. It includes 6 locomotives in steam and working trains. The Garret features prominently.

The tours program has not yet been announced but it is being eagerly awaited. I have it on reliable authority that it will be coming up to Maitland in the Hunter Valley next month for their annual Steamfest. This is not yet public knowledge.

It will be working back to Goulburn and Canberra next sunday. I will be onboard as a car conductor and looking forward to it.

Clyde, any visit you can make you will find a warm welcome. With the US$ stregthening it is becoming more affordable for you. I have just dumped plans for a visit to the US because it is simply too expensive.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22nd, 2015, 7:01am »

Very cool that another large locomotive has been restored for operation. Anyone know off hand how many Garrets are in action now?
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22nd, 2015, 4:35pm »

on Mar 22nd, 2015, 1:59am, Les_Shepherd wrote:       (Click here for original message)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABB0H-U6UWg

The link is 19 minutes from the weekend. It includes 6 locomotives in steam and working trains. The Garret features prominently.

The tours program has not yet been announced but it is being eagerly awaited. I have it on reliable authority that it will be coming up to Maitland in the Hunter Valley next month for their annual Steamfest. This is not yet public knowledge.

It will be working back to Goulburn and Canberra next sunday. I will be onboard as a car conductor and looking forward to it.

Clyde, any visit you can make you will find a warm welcome. With the US$ stregthening it is becoming more affordable for you. I have just dumped plans for a visit to the US because it is simply too expensive.

I was well and hospitably treated during my R&R in 1969, and while i know there have been many changes in Australia (jut as in the US and my home state of Texas) in the past 45 years - I'd be surprised to not have a chance to meet a lot of friendly folks if I come again.

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2015, 4:36pm by ClydeDET » Logged
Les_Shepherd
Historian
  500_3006.jpg - 51367 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19th, 2016, 6:50am »

A brief update.

The Garret came up to Sydney from Canberra a few weeks ago for the annual Festival of Steam at Thirlmere. On the Saturday it worked a train load of passengers from Sydney and return.

The images were at Central before departure.

In April it will be coming to the Hunter Valley for the annual Maitland Steamfest. Following that weekend it will be spending some time in Sydney and working several tours.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/SteamGeneral/500_3006.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Les_Shepherd
Historian
  500_3007.jpg - 64186 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19th, 2016, 6:52am »

A closer study

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/SteamGeneral/500_3007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Mar 19th, 2016, 11:24am »

Strikes me a man could build a Beyer-Garrett by taking running gear from a couple of locomotives of suitable wheel arrangement and then scratch-building the superstructure. Make an unusual (at least for the US) addition to the layout...

Beautiful job, very glad to see it up and running.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Mar 19th, 2016, 3:52pm »

Nice! Thanks for the update. Will you get a chance to take some photos of it in action? If so, please post. TIA,
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Les_Shepherd
Historian
  500_3009.jpg - 251799 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20th, 2016, 12:50am »

Happy to oblige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChChT7rGKAc

This link is to some footage of other first days action and includes other locomotives besides the Garret

This image is of the train passing through suburban East Hills, about 15 miles from Central.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/SteamGeneral/500_3009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2016, 12:53am by Les_Shepherd » Logged

Les_Shepherd
Historian
  500_3016.jpg - 344597 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20th, 2016, 12:56am »

On the way home in the afternoon at suburban Campbelltown, about 34 miles from Central. It is of course running bunker first.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (344597 bytes, 550x367 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 500_3016.jpg - 344597 Bytes

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Mar 20th, 2016, 6:42am »

on Mar 20th, 2016, 12:50am, Les_Shepherd wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Happy to oblige.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChChT7rGKAc

This link is to some footage of other first days action and includes other locomotives besides the Garret
Thanks for the link. Some nice footage of a good day watching steam at work.
CHESSIEMIKE

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Mar 20th, 2016, 9:20pm »

on Mar 20th, 2016, 12:56am, Les_Shepherd wrote:       (Click here for original message)
On the way home in the afternoon at suburban Campbelltown, about 34 miles from Central. It is of course running bunker first.

I note that you folks down under are running your steamers the way God intended - they are by themselves with the rolling stock. Almost all of the steam on main-line here has a diesel tucked in between the steamer and the rolling stock "just in case". I suppose I can see a railroad not wanting to risk tying up the main, but still - I don't enjoy seeing it. Your way is better.

L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #16 on: Apr 2nd, 2016, 2:35pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Gentlemen:

Just came across this great thread; I have long been a big fan of these hulking, fire-breathing dragons, easily among the most distinctive and most recognizable steamers anywhere in the world, yesterday or today.

Here are two links I think might be of interest:

http://david-longman.com/zimbabwe.html

(courtesy: David Longman)

Also:

http://www.garrattmaker.com/history.html

(courtesy: Garrattmaker)

I have an old copy of "STEAM ON 4 CONTINENTS: AFRICA" (Haslebeck/Wardale) that features magnificent color photos of Garratts hard at work, through the 1970's (other types and classes of African steamers are also well represented here)

It is a book that should be in the library of any enthusiast who has an interest in these hulking behemoths of another era....

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2016, 2:51pm by CLASSB » Logged
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #17 on: Apr 2nd, 2016, 2:39pm »

Riding to school behind a Garratt indeed was a lot more interesting and fun than riding aboard the usual yellow bus.......

http://www.oldcambrians.com/Train4.html

(courtesy: Old Cambrian Society)

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2016, 2:51pm by CLASSB » Logged
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #18 on: Apr 2nd, 2016, 2:47pm »

See also:

http://www.railtasmania.com/loco/garratts.htm

(courtesy: Tasmanian Railway Information Index)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_Wales_AD60_class_locomotive

« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2016, 6:40pm by CLASSB » Logged
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #19 on: Apr 3rd, 2016, 5:52pm »

"PROJECT 6029".......

http://blog.project6029.com/

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »