Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 22nd, 2017, 9:09pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

765 + NS
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Steam Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, CHESSIEMIKE)
   765 + NS
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: 765 + NS  (Read 160 times)
penn_senseless
Historian
View Profile  

765 + NS

« on: Feb 13th, 2014, 1:26pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Pardon me for being out of the loop for awhile....I was just wondering how did those recent excursions with the 765 on the Norfolk Southern system  go over-all....were they a success..were there troubles...will we see it again this summer?

Thanx for any updates

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2014, 1:29pm by penn_senseless » Logged
wm1111
Chaser
View Profile  

Re: 765 + NS

« Reply #1 on: Feb 13th, 2014, 9:02pm »

Feedback that I received from fans and crew alike was that it was a big success.

As far as I know, the 2014 schedule hasn't been completely finalized but one of the 765's crew has indicated that it will be on NS rails this summer but not on the Pittsburgh Division -- it's been there the last two years.

wm

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2014, 9:06pm by wm1111 » Logged
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Southern_630_arrives_in_Petersburg_small.jpg - 169027 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14th, 2014, 6:52am »

I had no complaints.  
And it looks like the crowds came out to see it.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/SteamGeneral/Southern_630_arrives_in_Petersburg_small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
penn_senseless
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14th, 2014, 3:05pm »

on Feb 14th, 2014, 6:52am, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I had no complaints.  
And it looks like the crowds came out to see it.
CHESSIEMIKE

I know there was huge turnout and television coverage of it in the Pittsburgh area.

I hope they run it over the old NKP..Cleveland or Erie to Buffalo...not sure if they have enough employees there for the trips though!

Columbus-Sandusky Ohio is a great trip....rode that behind the 611 once. awesome.

wm1111
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14th, 2014, 9:04pm »

It's been to Bison and down the Southern Tier before.  Never say never but I don't think that itinerary is in the works for this year.  

But a trip to Buffalo is certainly doable with proper logistical support.

wm

penn_senseless
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15th, 2014, 4:56pm »

I shouldve been more clear on that. I think those excursions were partly as a reward for employees. Not sure if NS really has much of prescence in Buff anymore (in terms of actual folks working for the road there). isnt it more of a csx town now?

wm1111
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Feb 15th, 2014, 8:55pm »

on Feb 15th, 2014, 4:56pm, penn_senseless wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I shouldve been more clear on that. I think those excursions were partly as a reward for employees. Not sure if NS really has much of prescence in Buff anymore (in terms of actual folks working for the road there). isnt it more of a csx town now?

Definitely more CSX traffic but Bison remains a crew change point for NS as they head down the NP or the Southern Tier.  NS runs six to eight dailies out of Bison down the Tier plus crewing several CP and CN run throughs.

Wick and his executive train traveled the Tier to Bison and down the Nickel Plate in 2012 so I wouldn't say that Buffalo is a NS backwater.

Except for the Portageville Bridge the Tier is 50 mph to Binghamton with extensive upgrading now on-going on the eastern Tier to New Jersey in expectation of future traffic growth.

wm  

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2014, 9:01pm by wm1111 » Logged
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16th, 2014, 12:20am »

on Feb 15th, 2014, 8:55pm, wm1111 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Wick and his executive train traveled the Tier to Bison and down the Nickel Plate in 2012 so I wouldn't say that Buffalo is a NS backwater.

Except for the Portageville Bridge the Tier is 50 mph to Binghamton with extensive upgrading now on-going on the eastern Tier to New Jersey in expectation of future traffic growth.

The Portageville Bridge replacement may get underway this years.  At that point the 10 mph if not less will be over.  However, the curve off the west end may leave a 35 mph or thereabouts speed limit in this area.

penn_senseless
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16th, 2014, 10:51am »

on Feb 15th, 2014, 8:55pm, wm1111 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Definitely more CSX traffic but Bison remains a crew change point for NS as they head down the NP or the Southern Tier.  NS runs six to eight dailies out of Bison down the Tier plus crewing several CP and CN run throughs.

wm  

wow...well that's good to know. maybe theyll consider some runs through there someday. i would love to ride over that former nkp line from cleveland to buffalo.

If anyone knows of any dvd's of the 611 or 1218 trips from the 1980s and 1990's that are available, please let me know.  I have seen the footage thats on youtube

WVa_Jon
Chaser

« Reply #9 on: Jul 27th, 2014, 11:02pm »

How long has it been since 765 was on the original N&W line through southern Ohio? I still have a video (VHS, sadly) of the 1991 excursion on both N&W and CSX trackage.  

765 was in Rock Island, IL for "Train Fest" 2011 and there were a LOT of people! Someone wryly pointed out, "there were more people than ants at a picnic", and they were right!

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »