Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 14th, 2017, 5:29am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

844 Coming to Texas
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Steam Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, CHESSIEMIKE)
   844 Coming to Texas
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: 844 Coming to Texas  (Read 190 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

844 Coming to Texas

« on: Oct 14th, 2012, 11:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

UP 150 Express, 844 leading, is on the roadWill get to Tejas  Tuesday, Oct 16.

Interesting routing.
Durant to Denton  to Fort Worth.Two nights in Fort Worth, then on to Ennis, Mexia, and Hearne on Thursday the 18th.

Friday, 10/19 Hearne to Buffalo to Palestine to Overton (service stop) to longview to Marshall. Now - thi is all very well, but I am havinga  hard time figuring out how the train swaps ends tpo get from the old H&TC (later T&NO)  north-southe line at Hearne onto the  former MoPac line to Buffalo and on east. That I'd like to know - i checked the maps and the satelitte views and just don't see how they gonna do it. Presume they have a way. Or will run in reverse until they get somewhere with a Wye...

Spend the weekend at Marshall, no indication the train will be open for visitors. Monday on to Shreveport, there untilThursday, 10/25. Leave 0800, at Jordan, LA at0920, brief stop, no public access, then to Timpson, TX (of "Tenaha, Timpson, Bobo and Balir" fame), from 1115 to 1145 and thyen on to Lufkin, due there at 1315. Will necessarily be coming through nacogdoces and i plan to try tpo grab some piccies. And then proibavly take a quick drive to Lufkin and see if i can't get some while it is tied up there.

Leaves Lufkin 0800 Friday and on to Houston (AMTRAK Station) via Livingston and Cleveland. Can get some fairly dramatic shots as it goes close by the Courthouse in Livingston (due at 9030). Apparently gonna be there for a half hour. Arrival in houston scheduled for 1400. Display Saturday 10/27 to Sunday 10/28, 100-1600.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: 844 Coming to Texas

« Reply #1 on: Oct 16th, 2012, 6:36am »

Don't forget to share your photos with us.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16th, 2012, 11:52am »

I'm pretty clueless on putting piccies up, but, when I have some, i'll try.

I must say - if they run to the scheuled times, that train is gonna be flying. It is 48.5 miles by highway (which pretty well parallels the tracks) from Timpson to Lufkin, and they have it scheduled for 30 minutes.

That works out to around 97 MPH to make the time, and I'd sort of like to see it storming through town at that speed...

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2012, 11:54am by ClydeDET » Logged
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19th, 2012, 7:06pm »

on Oct 16th, 2012, 11:52am, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm pretty clueless on putting piccies up, but, when I have some, i'll try.

I must say - if they run to the scheuled times, that train is gonna be flying. It is 48.5 miles by highway (which pretty well parallels the tracks) from Timpson to Lufkin, and they have it scheduled for 30 minutes.

That works out to around 97 MPH to make the time, and I'd sort of like to see it storming through town at that speed...

I need to learn to actually read what is on an infrmation source: schedule from Timpson to Lufkin is and hour and thirty minutes for the c.48.5 miles, not a half hour. Duh. Around 30 mph aveage. Very easily maintained.

And - found out how it turned at Hearne. Just didn't go far enough west, there is a four-legged diamond about a mile west of town. Duh - I've acrually seen that from the US 79 overpass...

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25th, 2012, 5:02pm »

Train was late leaving Shreveport (around 3 hour delay). Came through here (Nacogdoches) at around 1500, motivating right along. Got a few shots, not as many as i'd hoped for. Will post if i can figure out how to.

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2012, 5:04pm by ClydeDET » Logged
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24th, 2016, 9:51pm »

Just bringing this up to first page so it will be near a thread I am going to start on 844's trip this year into and out of Memphis.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24th, 2016, 10:01pm »

on Oct 24th, 2016, 9:51pm, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just bringing this up to first page so it will be near a thread I am going to start on 844's trip this year into and out of Memphis.

Be fun to watch that big sucker (and it is a VERY big and intimidating looking locomotive) crossing the big river.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »