Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 21st, 2017, 8:09am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steam you'd like to see run again
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Steam Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, CHESSIEMIKE)
   Steam you'd like to see run again
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steam you'd like to see run again  (Read 1581 times)
VaPennsyFan
Historian
Re: Steam you'd like to see run again

« Reply #20 on: Oct 9th, 2010, 7:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

If you want to see and hear a real three-cylinder engine - meaning one with side rods and not gears   - go to England!

As far as the Pennsy T-1 goes, I'd love to see one run, but the problem is finding a place to run it, as it was pretty much limited to the Crestline-Chicago main due to the long fixed wheelbase.  What are the chances you can use that now for steam?  To be honest, if someone really wants to build big Pennsy steam, I'd go for the S2 - rumor has it that it could run 150 mph.  On the other hand, speaking as someone who grew up visiting Strasburg in the 80s, I'd love to see 1223 back in action.  None of that's gonna happen though . . .

Jon

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it! - Mark Twain

View my photos at RailPictures.Net!
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=22578
Henry
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Oct 9th, 2010, 8:59pm »

Jon, I think you meant the 6-4-4-6 S1, the S2 was the 6-8-6 turbine. A lot of the Pennsy guys thought the S1 would do 150 if anyone tried.

Henry

WH
Former Member

« Reply #22 on: Oct 10th, 2010, 8:07am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Oct 9th, 2010, 7:54pm, VaPennsyFan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If you want to see and hear a real three-cylinder engine - meaning one with side rods and not gears   - go to England!

As far as the Pennsy T-1 goes, I'd love to see one run, but the problem is finding a place to run it, as it was pretty much limited to the Crestline-Chicago main due to the long fixed wheelbase.  What are the chances you can use that now for steam?  To be honest, if someone really wants to build big Pennsy steam, I'd go for the S2 - rumor has it that it could run 150 mph.  On the other hand, speaking as someone who grew up visiting Strasburg in the 80s, I'd love to see 1223 back in action.  None of that's gonna happen though . . .

Jon

The other problem is finding one to run....

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Oct 10th, 2010, 3:36pm »

Sady, no T-1s, Qs nor either the S-1 nor S-2 survived.  Have to be  from-scratch, new-build. And you'd have to be Bill Gates or Warren Buffet to sponsor that...

L4b
Enthusiast

« Reply #24 on: Oct 13th, 2010, 12:25pm »

I don't know, didn't they just build a brand new steam engine from scratch over in England?

VaPennsyFan
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Oct 13th, 2010, 7:10pm »

I've always heard that the turbine could move too.  I rather get the impression that, of the various attempts at producing a steam turbine locomotive, that the S2 was probably the most successful.

They did indeed just build a new steam engine in England.  The Tornado cost a mere 3 million quid ($4.75 million at current exchange rates) to build over the course of 15 years.  Something to consider for those of us who'd like to see an engine run that doesn't exist in preservation.  

http://www.a1steam.com/

Of course, someone just built a new steam engine here in the US too:

http://www.leviathan63.com/

When I win the lottery, much as I might like to see a PRR T-1 or S1 or S2 built, I think I'll do the more cost effective thing and pay a visit to the nice folks out in Roanoke and see about getting the 611 back in steam.  

Jon

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it! - Mark Twain

View my photos at RailPictures.Net!
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=22578
Barronm11
Railfan

« Reply #26 on: Oct 14th, 2010, 8:32pm »

I nominate B&O 5300. It was considered for the Chessie steam special in Ross Rowland's report. If you would like a copy of it email me and I will send it to you.
Barronzm@gmail.com
-Mike

STEAM IS MY BLOOD,I LIVE AND BREATHE IT.
(There's a reason it's called mountain thunder.)
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Oct 15th, 2010, 6:28pm »

Bessemer & Lake Erie 643

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
Robb
TRAINing

« Reply #28 on: Oct 22nd, 2010, 12:27am »

Anything steam on C.S.X would be excellent,but i don't see that happening anytime soon.  

Robb
L4b
Enthusiast

« Reply #29 on: Jan 6th, 2011, 3:33pm »

I'm hearing rumors about NYC L3a 3001...  

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2011, 3:35pm by L4b » Logged

SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Apr 30th, 2011, 2:47pm »

id like to see UP 1243 run. it could be good for a tourist railroad.

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2011, 2:50pm by SRR90 » Logged
CarNutandTrainNut2
Enthusiast

« Reply #31 on: May 4th, 2011, 8:11pm »

Well, the TVRM successfully restored Southern 630 and they have started working on 4501.  

My pick would be the ex T&P 610.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #32 on: May 4th, 2011, 11:18pm »

Word at Palestine, the last time i wsa there, is there s essentially zero chance the T&P 610 will ever steam again.

I'd sort of like to see Frisco 4501 (At Age of Steam in Dallas, to move to Frisco) put in steam again.

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #33 on: May 14th, 2011, 12:17pm »

I'll vote for two steamers, if no one minds.

Vote #1 is for the C&O streamlined 4-6-4(?) at the B&O Museum.  Not sure of the wheel arrangement-just remember that they have one.

Vote #2 is for a CB&Q Hudson.  There's a couple of them around-one at Galesburg.

My thought is that the Hudsons would not face weight or clearance restrictions and could pull a long enough consist to be financially worth it.

If money was no object, I might consider going with a new Leigh Valley Wyoming, without the tender booster.  Otherwise, there are so many possibilities in the "what if" column!

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #34 on: May 14th, 2011, 2:59pm »

Alan -  

Odds favor a C & O 4-6-4? See this link. I can't recall what is sitting at B & O Museum, and its current site a bit coy in explaining just what is in its inventory.  

Note delivery of 4-6-4 types, 1946 - 1948. The 4-8-4 types were "big power". http://www.cohs.org/history/equipment/locomotives/steamroster.shtml

........................Vern........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #35 on: May 14th, 2011, 3:31pm »

There was (whether still - dunno) a streamlined C&O Hudson at Baltimore. Of course, the last time i was there was  1973...

i was told (by someone else who was there, a retired C&O engine-service guy who was showing his grandson "what I used to work on") that while it looked pretty good, the mechanical condition when it was retired to the museum was poor. He said it was the last steamer he'd worked on and was not a fun ride there toward the end of service.

Those western road Hudsons (like the CB&Qs or the ones the Santa Fe put to display) would have clearance problems in the east.

SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #36 on: May 14th, 2011, 4:00pm »

frisco 1522 deserves return to service. i bet any steam program coud take the locomotive.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: May 14th, 2011, 7:01pm »

on May 14th, 2011, 12:17pm, photoman475 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Vote #1 is for the C&O streamlined 4-6-4(?) at the B&O Museum.  Not sure of the wheel arrangement-just remember that they have one.
C&O #490 is the one in Baltimore. Indeed it is a 4-6-4. Here is a link:
http://steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=599
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
nyshortline
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #38 on: Sep 3rd, 2011, 1:03pm »

Any of the 4 surviving Reading T-1 4-8-4's.

fritz76
TRAINing

« Reply #39 on: Jun 23rd, 2012, 6:41pm »

Reading Lines, T-1 numbers 2124 and 2102 or 2100. I know that they would need an inspection or possible rebuild, but there were assembled in the Reading shops on north 6th street in Reading PA. The other remaining T-1 got severely damaged in a roundhouse fire, but I think it could be made to run again if enough money was invested in it.

Lee F.

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »