Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 15th, 2017, 4:51pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Maine central #470
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Steam Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, CHESSIEMIKE)
   Maine central #470
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Maine central #470  (Read 246 times)
centercab
Historian
Maine central #470

« on: Oct 20th, 2008, 12:51am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I watched a 1954 video of her last trip and consequent donation to Waterville Me. What a shame! Thet've let her sit and rot with not so much as a roof over her. Further research revealed the city spent $80,000 for some goofy sculpture in a parking lot! If ever a steam engine needed saved from it's "owners" old #470 is the one. Fine old Pacific would look great under steam again rolling excursions. With so few of these grand old machines left, every one should be looked after with utmost care.

Love that Solyndra!
feltonhill
Chaser
View Profile  

Re: Maine central #470
  MEC470a.jpg - 46799 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20th, 2008, 7:41pm »

Photo I took 9/12/54 at Waterville, ME.   I'm trusting what records survive of our New England/Canada trip.  I was 12 at the time, definitely an early railfan!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/SteamGeneral/MEC470a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2008, 7:44pm by feltonhill » Logged
centercab
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21st, 2008, 1:16am »

Hi Feltonhill, I have seen present day photos of 470 and there's no comparison to the engine in your photo and it's a sad, sad situation! If that city has no interest in 470 or cant seem to allocate funds for at least some rudimentary cover for her then why not simply GIVE her to one of the numerous steam oriented museums or tourist short lines who would at LEAST provide cover for the old engine, maybe by some miracle even get her under steam again? When I say give her away I mean just that. After all the Maine Central gave the engine to them and by the looks of 470 the city has not invested much if any money in her preservation. Sorry about my rant but it just seems such a waste to me.

Love that Solyndra!
centercab
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24th, 2016, 9:42pm »

Wow! I posted about the terrible condition and what looked to be a bleak future for this locomotive 8 years ago and finally she's hopefully in caring hands!
 http://www.newenglandsteam.org/

Love that Solyndra!
Henry
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25th, 2016, 2:02am »

That's great news!

centercab
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25th, 2016, 1:55pm »

It is good news for sure. One thing sort of irks me is that Waterville had the gaul to charge NESCO $25,000 for the engine! It's a safe bet Waterville did not invest anything near $25,000 over the years the locomotive sat there in total neglect. I have heard of cities owning steam engines selling them to preservation groups for $1.00. Possible reason for Waterville's "price tag" was the engine's scrap value of weight? I believe the town viewed it as an eyesore and would have scrapped it sooner or later had NESCO not ponied up the dough.

Love that Solyndra!
Henry
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25th, 2016, 5:33pm »

It may well have been in lieu of scrapping proceeds, but it is a shame it wasn't just transferred for $1.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »