Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 30th, 2017, 1:23am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

WMRy #202
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Steam Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, CHESSIEMIKE)
   WMRy #202
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: WMRy #202  (Read 847 times)
railfan_85
Enthusiast
WMRy #202

« on: Jul 24th, 2008, 11:21am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Does anyone know the situation regarding WMRy Pacific # 202 in Hagerstown, MD?  From the notes on its webpage at steamlocomotive.info,  it was to have an ultra-sound done on the boiler this past spring.  Now, I 've heard it's gone through a comestic restoration.  Are the still trying to get it steamed up?   ~Thanks

Remember, there's a "Highway to Hell" as well as a "Railway to Heaven." TAKE THE TRAIN
Barronm11
Railfan
Re: WMRy #202

« Reply #1 on: Feb 3rd, 2010, 5:37pm »

There is a website and it said it passed it's hydro test and it also said something like 1062 days till steam to I have to believe that means 202 will be online at some point.

STEAM IS MY BLOOD,I LIVE AND BREATHE IT.
(There's a reason it's called mountain thunder.)
Barronm11
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Feb 3rd, 2010, 5:39pm »

http://sites.google.com/site/westernmaryland202/

martinm1218
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Feb 3rd, 2010, 6:27pm »

Would be neat to have 202 run again. Then all of the surviving WM steam engines would be operable. Wouldn't it be cool if 202, Shay #6, and look-alike 734 could all run together at some point in the future?  

Martin

N&W 611 and 1218: The Thoroughbreds of steam.

I also enjoy the NKP, Southern, and VGN.
Here is a link to my youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/m611martin
Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Feb 4th, 2010, 8:43am »

on Feb 3rd, 2010, 6:27pm, martinm1218 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Would be neat to have 202 run again. Then all of the surviving WM steam engines would be operable. Wouldn't it be cool if 202, Shay #6, and look-alike 734 could all run together at some point in the future?  

Martin

If you mean a tripleheader, doubt it.

If you mean an all WM steam event, possible. Someone would just have to organize it with knowledge of the WM.

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
martinm1218
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Feb 4th, 2010, 9:29am »

on Feb 4th, 2010, 8:43am, Railfan Entertainments wrote:       (Click here for original message)

If you mean a tripleheader, doubt it.

If you mean an all WM steam event, possible. Someone would just have to organize it with knowledge of the WM.

I should've been more clear. I meant an event to get them all together. Triple heading a slow shay two larger faster engines would be unlikely. It would be a slow trip.

Martin

N&W 611 and 1218: The Thoroughbreds of steam.

I also enjoy the NKP, Southern, and VGN.
Here is a link to my youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/m611martin
railfan_85
Enthusiast

« Reply #6 on: Feb 4th, 2010, 9:30am »

on Feb 3rd, 2010, 5:39pm, Barronm11 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
http://sites.google.com/site/westernmaryland202/

That's some of the best news I've heard for some time!  While I would love to see her on the WMSR at some point, I'm just happy to see her run anywhere!

Remember, there's a "Highway to Hell" as well as a "Railway to Heaven." TAKE THE TRAIN
alcoguy1
Enthusiast

« Reply #7 on: Feb 6th, 2010, 1:09am »

Looks like Im a little late to the discussion! lol Im the guy that set up the site.  Anyway, It's true, we are really trying to get her back on the high iron at some point.  I put up a day counter for the end of 2012.  That's when we originally hoped to have a first steam by since she was born in 1912.  Could still happen but not likely.  To be honest getting 202 legal and able to steam is going to be the easy part.  Having a place to run and maintain her in or near Hagerstown is going to be the real doozie(no roundhouse/shops....ergh).  I know everybody wants to see her run at the scenic, and to be honest I couldn't have blamed the city if they had gotten rid of her many years ago, but at this point we a have a very dedicated group of guys here in Hagerstown.  Not trying to sound at all cocky( I realize thats what many people thank about us over here)  but the WM did put her in Hagerstown City park and we would like to see her stay in the area.  That said, Id love nothing more than to see all "three" Western Maryland steam locomotives at the same spot.  Actually, I go to Frostburg state, and last semester I had Friday afternoons off.  Several times I went down to the station, watched 734 during the lay-over, and hurried back to H-town to wipe down 202's rods and buff the brass for the week.  

railfan_85
Enthusiast

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23rd, 2010, 9:49am »

Check out this discussion over at the RYPN forums: http://rypn.sunserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29099

Can anyone verify what's going on?   In any case, it's good know that there's some motion under the cover to get her under steam.

Barronm11
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 1:24pm »

Is there any thing going on with WM 202? I have not heard any news lately.

alcoguy1
Enthusiast

« Reply #10 on: Mar 29th, 2011, 1:55am »

Work is on-going.  It's likely she will not be approachable for most of this season, but will still be on display.  Since 202 has been under the care of many people over the years, and most work hasn't been well documented, we are mostly concerned right now with establishing just exactly what condition she is in, and what would need to be done to bring her under steam if situations allow.  Theories abound as to what shape she's in, but, as her current care takers we want to know for sure, and document it for future reference.

Barronm11
Railfan

« Reply #11 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 7:31pm »

on Mar 29th, 2011, 1:55am, alcoguy1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Work is on-going.  It's likely she will not be approachable for most of this season, but will still be on display.  Since 202 has been under the care of many people over the years, and most work hasn't been well documented, we are mostly concerned right now with establishing just exactly what condition she is in, and what would need to be done to bring her under steam if situations allow.  Theories abound as to what shape she's in, but, as her current care takers we want to know for sure, and document it for future reference.

Well I hope she is ready for a "rebuild" soon. Let me know when you might plan on doing this.  
-Barronm11

Barronm11
Railfan

« Reply #12 on: Aug 2nd, 2011, 10:50pm »

Is there any new news on 202 or are we still in the "don't know condition wise" phase?

alcoguy1
Enthusiast

« Reply #13 on: Aug 3rd, 2011, 11:01pm »

Hold tight, were still actively working on determining restoration feasibility.  Whether or not she ever runs again, this investigation will help insure 202's long term safety and sustained maintenance in Hagerstown where she is loved.

Climax9
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #14 on: Aug 26th, 2014, 4:45pm »

I thought I would start up this topic again, any news about 202? Since it has been a few years I would think it wouldn't be great news.

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2014, 4:47pm by Climax9 » Logged

My Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Geardproductions/featured
alcoguy1
Enthusiast

« Reply #15 on: Aug 26th, 2014, 5:17pm »

No real news to report.  Analysis had been progressing nicely but has been on hold for quite a while.  That is why she sits as she does right now with most of the jacketing off.  Anyone who has worked on a park locomotive still owned by a municipality can probably relate to the frustration many volunteers feel  right now, especially after having completed the cosmetic resto in 2008.

Climax9
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #16 on: Aug 26th, 2014, 8:30pm »

Why has the analysis stopped?

My Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Geardproductions/featured
alcoguy1
Enthusiast

« Reply #17 on: Aug 26th, 2014, 9:35pm »

Combination of factors.  Work had to stop during the winter anyway.  During that time city personnel changed.  As to why it hasn't resumed, I'd rather not speculate.  I just hope we can get her back to the way she looked after the 2008 resto.  The primary purpose of the work done after that resto was to remove the jacketing, which was poorly applied to begin with, and insulation so that it wouldn't hold moisture against the boiler.  The idea in doing an analysis of the boiler was just for future reference.  I think it's fair to say that unless things change drastically, there is no place for 202 to operate around Hagerstown anyway.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »