Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 15th, 2017, 4:49pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New Build Steam
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Steam Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, CHESSIEMIKE)
   New Build Steam
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New Build Steam  (Read 2299 times)
ARA18
Historian
Re: New Build Steam

« Reply #20 on: Mar 1st, 2011, 4:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jan 20th, 2011, 5:48pm, L4b wrote:       (Click here for original message)

...and then MAYBE it will get built... if his wife will let him!

Maybe...he won't be married.  

Go Leafs!
CSX sucks!
American Viscose #6
Arcade & Attica #18
New York Centra; 4068/4080, Life's Good up here.
ARA18
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Apr 25th, 2011, 2:57pm »

Well, I came across this today. They're new:

http://hudsonrevivalproject.webs.com/

Go Leafs!
CSX sucks!
American Viscose #6
Arcade & Attica #18
New York Centra; 4068/4080, Life's Good up here.
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Apr 25th, 2011, 4:58pm »

on Apr 25th, 2011, 2:57pm, ARA18 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well, I came across this today. They're new:

http://hudsonrevivalproject.webs.com/

Very new, and with (count them) one 20-year old member. I wish him luck.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Apr 25th, 2011, 7:58pm »

on Apr 25th, 2011, 4:58pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Very new, and with (count them) one 20-year old member. I wish him luck.
Hey, he's got a web site! That is more than I had when I was 20. Oh wait, there were no web sites when I was 20....
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Marty_Feldner
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Apr 26th, 2011, 1:42am »

Careful with this kid's pipe dream site- the download and play links are somewhere between nuisance software and mildy toxic.

Oh- and it looks like the membership has doubled...

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Apr 26th, 2011, 3:00pm »

Since i don't do the down-load and play thing unless i know what i am getting and who I am dealing with - the warning is redundant, but appreciated.

Marty_Feldner
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Apr 27th, 2011, 9:11pm »

It was just a general heads up, for all, to be forewarned.

I've been online for close to 17 years (and been using computers for 30+); I know enough not to go somewhere if I don't have a pretty sure way of backing out

Kind of like driving a truck or bus- which I also did for nearly 40 years.

Dr. Richard Leonard
Historian

« Reply #27 on: May 13th, 2011, 1:15am »

I just saw this "Hudson Revival" site for the first time today. That is my photo of Hudson 5367 at Gaylord, Michigan in 1952. It is nice to see it there, but I don't recall being asked for permission to use it. Well, it wouldn't be the first time that sort of thing has happened.

Dr. Richard Leonard, Hamilton, Illinois. Richard Leonard's Rail Archive, http://www.railarchive.net
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: May 13th, 2011, 7:00pm »

The members of the "internet generation" don't seem to think that they have to ask for permisssion to use anything they can find.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Apr 14th, 2014, 11:13pm »

Ok, here is another one for you:

http://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/

Looks like someone wants to build a new Pennsy T1.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Apr 15th, 2014, 1:29pm »

on Apr 14th, 2014, 11:13pm, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)

CHESSIEMIKE

I wish them luck - gonna take a great deal of money and expertise. Hope they can find both. And a place that will allow them to run the thing. Has a long rigid wheelbase, I know. And by reputation slippery. But fast if let out. Really fast if let out, presuming anybody would let them really turn it loose. Would love to see it in action.

Henry
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Apr 15th, 2014, 1:50pm »

on Apr 14th, 2014, 11:13pm, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)

CHESSIEMIKE

And they want to run it at 140 MPH! Yeah Baby! I'm all for this project, what a gas!

Henry

Climax9
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #32 on: Apr 15th, 2014, 3:12pm »

CHESSIEMIKE

Looks like Mallard has competition!  

My Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Geardproductions/featured
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: Apr 22nd, 2014, 5:50pm »

on Apr 15th, 2014, 3:12pm, Climax9 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Looks like Mallard has competition!  

Always has. I expect that a Milwaukee A-Class Atlantic or a Santa Fe 3460-class Hudson would (if turned loose and just let run) do as well as Mallard ever did.  Turn them out on the Santa Fe "raceway" across Colorado and into Kansas east of La Junta and watch the fun. Also turn on the timers and check you watch against the mile posts...

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Apr 22nd, 2014, 10:14pm »

Did someone say "Santa Fe"? Try this on for size:

http://www.csrail.org/index.php/research-areas/new-steam-locomotive1

Can't wait to see which one comes first.
CHESSIEMIKE

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Apr 23rd, 2014, 1:30am »

on Apr 22nd, 2014, 5:50pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Always has. I expect that a Milwaukee A-Class Atlantic or a Santa Fe 3460-class Hudson would (if turned loose and just let run) do as well as Mallard ever did.  Turn them out on the Santa Fe "raceway" across Colorado and into Kansas east of La Junta and watch the fun. Also turn on the timers and check you watch against the mile posts...

Absolutely.  Here is the Mallard record quoting from google:
Quote:
Mallard is the holder of the world speed record for steam locomotives at 125.88 mph (202.58 km/h). The record was achieved on 3 July 1938 on the slight downward grade of Stoke Bank south of Grantham on the East Coast Main Line, and the highest speed was recorded at milepost 90¼, between Little Bytham and Essendine. It broke the German (DRG Class 05) 002's 1936 record of 124.5 mph (200.4 km/h).

German Class 05 . . . train was only four coaches long (197 tons), but Mallard's train was seven coaches (240 tons).

Consider a few things:

Both these engines had special preparation in advance of their runs and the Mallard needed work at the end of its run.

Yes these runs were well documented as these were test runs so that everything was set up to document all aspects.

These people that did all this love to disparage the US speed runs because they were not so well documented.  Well, they were not because they were done without any special preparations with scheduled trains.  When doing so, the crews were breaking the rules, so there was no incentive to carefully record things even when and where it could be done.

What could be done with any of these high speed American engines if some attempt to set recorded speed records had been done?

If you have a AT&SF employee timetable from steam days, you will see that they had a list of engines that were allowed to run 100 mph.  They also had considerable unbroken lengths of line that permitted operation at 100 mph.  Thus, these Santa Fe engines were permitted to run 100 mph over long distances and did it with far heavier trains than those in Europe and were expected to do it over and over with only the normal inspection and service between trips.  I would suspect that given a clear line, a short train, say 5 to 6 cars, which would exceed the weight of the train behind the Mallard, I think the ATSF engine could easily have been quite a bit faster than the Mallard.  

Don't know about what the Milwaukee engines could do, but they could possibly have beat the ATSF engine due to their streamlined shape.  When you get above 100 mph aerodynamics can make a very large difference in how fast you can get with the same power and train weight.

I would love to see what they could do.  

I would like to see what the SP engine could do.  It reputedly hit 90 mph on the Southern's main south of Manassas VA when pulling the bicentennial train, and that was no lightweight train.

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2014, 1:31am by George_Harris » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Apr 23rd, 2014, 11:32am »

George - Clyde - All -  

Right! Right! Your writer has never been happy with the Brit and 'Eurothink' contrived and controlled tests ever proved much of anything...

Here Stateside, many of any speed runs done with average full weight trains hauled. We all knew what ATSF did out on the line, when  
aiming to keep on time. It carried 'do not delay' US Mail...

Related, last few years, a charming recollection from one of the guys who was onboard an aging PRR T-1. It was out somewhere in the  
fairly flat OH-IN track. From the account, the guys on board agreed the by then aging T-1 had no real future. They figured, let's open her  
up and roll it. IIRC, the account notes it readily hit 120 mph indicated (and we can guess checked by watches and mileposts)...
(The memories recalled in a TRAINS item, last several years date.)

SIGH! Sure ran some good trains back then...

.............................Vern.........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Apr 23rd, 2014, 6:16pm »

Forgot to add in all my talk about the Santa Fe engines runnning 100 mph, the whole point of that discussion was to say that these things could almost certainly run 125 mph or more without even getting red in the face.  If ATSF had been interested in running a test or two for bragging rights of, "hey we have the fastest engine" rather than getting out and running a good high speed passenger service, they could have set up measured spots along some straight section in the southwest, or maybe in Kansas or eastern Colorado, hung a short train on one of these things and watched the fun while clicking their stopwatches.  

Milwaukee could probably have done likewise somwhere in Wisconsin.  

I have always been somewhat inclined to feel that both the English and the Germans were dealing with a certain amount of inferiority complex with these highly publicised tests.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Apr 24th, 2014, 8:49am »

George - All -  

Ummmmm... Amongst those of us who are now Aging Old Coots, your writer submits, didn't we all know what was happening?  
Many of us all knew of the strong, fast and capable power, dispatched by many lines.

There were at least two demands on the Carriers (IMHO, as I see it): 1) The Mail must go through! And, 2) Make it look like the  
Carriers were not in violation of the published ICC Rules and Regs. With the second imperative, there was a great deal of info  
that somehow never passed thru to Central Command in Washington. Ignorance is bliss?

That being said? Doubtful any Carrier would want to do a publicized speed trial, where it was clear there was 120 mph (and up)  
power on Dispatch sheets. Compare, if the 'over the pond' colleagues wanted to do cheap theatrics, then fine! They had other  
people to answer to. Here, it would have been rude and unseemly to talk it up?...

............................Vern.........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #39 on: Apr 27th, 2014, 6:52pm »

I think it was the Milwaukee that had a diamond that had a restrictive sign - "Slow to 90 MPH in advance of crossing".... Which suggests something, eh? Like normal running at better than 90 in that area.

The Class A Atlantic with oil-firing, streamlined cowls, a light, streamlined train, and the benefit of 84", roller-bearing, cross-balanced drivers and light-weight rods should have been good for at least 125, probably more like 130 without breaking anything.

The Santa Fe 3460s (and especially the Blue Goose with her streamlining) would probably have done as well. Or the Pennsy S-1 6-8-6 turbine or the T-1 4-4-4-4. N&W Js might well, despite the small drivers for a racing machine have been able to do that, too.

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »