Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 17th, 2017, 11:23pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New Build Steam
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Steam Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, CHESSIEMIKE)
   New Build Steam
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New Build Steam  (Read 1974 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

New Build Steam

« on: Feb 12th, 2008, 5:46pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well, it appears our British comrades have succeeded in building a new mainline steam locomotive. A Peppercorn Pacific, A1 class. East Coast express passenger locomotive, post-war design. NOT a respiration - all the originals were built immediately post-war and thereafter scrapped when steam was supplanted by diesel and electric haulage.

Test running on specially laid trackage in April and they plan to run her in service as early as this summer. Been a long slog, and not cheap (3 million pounds-sterling).

Would that we could manage the same...

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2008, 2:27pm by ClydeDET » Logged
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: New Build Steam

« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2008, 11:20pm »

I had not checked on this in quite a while. Thanks for the reminder about their work. Here is a link:
http://www.a1steam.com/mainmenu.html

CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
VaPennsyFan
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Mar 6th, 2008, 7:42pm »

Assuming that it would be possible to get a group to undertake such a project here in the US, what locomotive would you choose to reproduce, and why?

I would argue against producing a locomotive if there are a decent number of similar engines currently operating.  Thus, despite their storied careers and the shame that none were preserved, I would argue against reproducing a NYC Niagara, because there are plenty (relatively speaking) of other Northerns around.  I'd also argue against reproducing anything so large as to limit its potential for use - sorry PRR S-1 or Q-2 or whatever, though I would dearly love to see one of them operate.

A couple of interesting locomotives do come to mind.  A Milwaukee Road Class A (Hiawatha streamlined Atlantic) for instance.  Since the 7002 went back to the RRMofPA, I don't know of any operating Atlantics, so it would be a unique wheel arrangement to have in operation.  It's also a design classic, none were preserved, it's small enough to permit operation almost anywhere . . . The only disadvantage is there's almost no way one could ever operate it to its full 100mph plus potential.

The same arguments could be made for the Milwaukee Road's F7 (not to be confused with the covered wagon) class streamlined Hudsons, introduced when the Hiawatha's became too popular (and heavy) for the Atlantics to handle.  Again, no operating Hudsons in the US (except when a Canadian comes to visit), a class that was not preserved, etc.  The same arguments would apply to one of the C&NW streamlined Hudsons designed for their 400 trains.

The other argument that applies for reconstructing any of these three engines is they wore beautiful paint schemes.  That's why I would argue for either the Milwaukee or C&NW Hudson over an NYC class J Hudson, for instance.

Just a couple of thoughts.  What does everyone else think?

Jon

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2008, 7:42pm by VaPennsyFan » Logged

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it! - Mark Twain

View my photos at RailPictures.Net!
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=22578
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Mar 6th, 2008, 9:14pm »

Well, much as I favor Chico's power with some of the other western roads coming in close behind, I suspect a smaller engine that would fit the loading gauge back east might be a good idea. So a fairly compact engine like an NYC J perhaps ought to be considered.

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2009, 2:25pm by ClydeDET » Logged
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 8:47pm »

They got it going!!
http://www.a1steam.com./index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=202:tornado-completed-and-moves-for-the-first-time&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=123

CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Henry
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 9:05pm »

That is great news! I donated $10 to them about ten years ago. I'm very happy they have gotten this far. Now when will our NYC Hudson get done?

Henry

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Aug 7th, 2008, 7:29pm »

on Aug 6th, 2008, 9:05pm, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That is great news! I donated $10 to them about ten years ago. I'm very happy they have gotten this far. Now when will our NYC Hudson get done?

Henry

At a guess - never in any of our lifetimes. Darn it.

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14th, 2008, 10:57pm »

on Aug 6th, 2008, 9:05pm, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Henry

Hey Henry,

That's strange... That's the FIRST thing I thought of when I read this...

Why can't we build an NYC Hudson? One of the most iconic American steamers, and yet, none of them left.  

Someone got some extra dough lying around?  

VaPennsyFan
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Sep 15th, 2008, 7:00pm »

I still say if we're going to build a Hudson, it ought to be a Milwaukee Road F7.  Then we find a nice, long straight piece of track and see if we can break the official world speed record for steam!  

Jon

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it! - Mark Twain

ARA18
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 10:45am »

If any new Steamer gets built, I say an NYC Hudson. They were the most famous, and will attract the largest audience. People will be more likley to donate funds to build an NYC Hudson over a Milwaukee or C&NW one. The F-7 was nice, but it's the J's that people want. If the question is which Hudson, #5313's Tender is at Steamtown, so all we would have to build is the engine. But hopefully a group here will be inspired by the A1, I am. So join me.

Go Leafs!
CSX sucks!
American Viscose #6
Arcade & Attica #18
New York Centra; 4068/4080, Life's Good up here.
notrom
TRAINing

« Reply #10 on: Oct 9th, 2009, 12:46pm »

No contest for me - you need a Triplex, either the Virginian or the Erie, I ain't fussy! Seriously, folks, back in the UK there are various other projects to rebuild locos from duplicate preserved engines back into 'new' old classes that did not survive but that shared major elements, primarily boilers, as a result of standardisation policies within the major railway companies. There are also suggestions that the A1 Trust's next project will be the very beautiful gresley P1 2-8-2 Cock O' The North, replete with Lentz rotary valve gear. Yea we are veritably a nation of steam nuts!

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Oct 9th, 2009, 5:06pm »

So what was the A1 Steam Trust's secret that stands between them doing it and US talking about it?

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Oct 9th, 2009, 5:21pm »

One thing is assurance of a place to operate, at a sustainable cost.

KingCoal
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Oct 9th, 2009, 6:06pm »

My kingdom for a Camelback, a Reading camelback. Small enough to run anywhere and should be economical to operate and maintain. Picture a  
fall foliage run from Mt.Carmel to Philadelphia on the old Reading Main.
(I can dream, can't I)............

RETIRED
"A busy Mainline and a trout stream beside it"
paradise !
VaPennsyFan
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Oct 10th, 2009, 12:08am »

Give it long enough and you'll have your Reading Camelback, adn it won't even have to be new build.  Just have patience with the folks at Strasburg.

Jon

alcoguy1
Enthusiast

« Reply #15 on: Oct 18th, 2009, 2:10am »

My kingdom for an L&NE camelback........153 if were going for specific numbers  but seriously, I think if you asked this question to the majority of people, the first thing that would come to mind is an NYC J3A.  I know Id throw my beans at a group building a new one.

southern2716
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Oct 22nd, 2009, 2:22pm »

Did the NYC Hudsons have one piece cast frames?  If so, that would be the biggest roadblock, at least compared to the ones encountered by the folks building the "Tornado."  We could do it---even with the decay of the can-do American Spirit in an age of entitlement, we can still do anything we put our minds to.

I would suggest something older with frame that could be fabbed or flame cut.  We already know that we have the capability to cast two piece cylinder saddles--Steam Operations Corp proved that with the casting of the new cylinders for SP 786 in Austin.

My vote would be a Southern Railway Ps4--I know there's still one around, but lets face it, it ain't goin' no where!  Or if you want a green Southern engine that can pull a little more, how about a Southern 4-8-2?

rmgill
Chaser

« Reply #17 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 1:04am »

The Tornado Rescued the EuroStar train which was stalled and stranded due to failed electrics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/8428097.stm

L4b
Enthusiast

« Reply #18 on: Jan 20th, 2011, 5:48pm »

All we need is for one, hardcore, dye-in-the-wool, railfan, to hit the Mega-Millions or Powerball Lotteries for for more then they can imagine for life...
...and then MAYBE it will get built... if his wife will let him!

VaPennsyFan
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Feb 3rd, 2011, 8:31pm »

I'm still trying for that jackpot, and I've thought about engines.  New build is an intriguing idea, even if a class J Hudson wouldn't be my choice.  But I suspect it might be better to spend the winnings (when I get them   ) on trying to convince people to restore a different class J . . .

Jon

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »