Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 21st, 2018, 12:42pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Theme Park Steam
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Steam Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, CHESSIEMIKE)
   Theme Park Steam
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Theme Park Steam  (Read 1243 times)
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Theme Park Steam
  BG_Blue_train.jpg - 67022 Bytes
« on: Sep 15th, 2002, 4:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

When you take the kids (or grandkids) to that theme park they love so much, do you railfan while you are there?  
Bush Gardens, Williamsburg, VA  Sept. 2, 2002
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/SteamGeneral/BG_Blue_train.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Two23
Historian
Re: Theme Park Steam

« Reply #1 on: Sep 15th, 2002, 7:22pm »

on Sep 15th, 2002, 4:03pm, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
When you take the kids (or grandkids) to that theme park they love so much, do you railfan while you are there?  
CHESSIEMIKE

Sometimes I sneak in a few shots of engines when my wife isn't looking.  The Omaha Zoo has a couple of excellent small European engines converted to propane.  I took a few shots of the engines when in DisneyLand (CA) last year while my wife was in the restroom.

Kent in SD

Kent in SD
GardenRailroadGuy
Chaser

« Reply #2 on: Sep 19th, 2002, 10:15pm »

Every chance I get!  Not just when I'm at work either.  Just about anywhere I go I try to do a bit of train watching.  My wife just sort of rolls her eyes and grumbles something about those *&%$$&$ trains again.
I'll never grow up..... never!

PaulWWoodring
Enthusiast

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20th, 2002, 3:43pm »

I worked on the railroad at Cedar Point when I was in College in the late '70's, and for old time's sake went back for a week this past May to once again pull throttle on the old Vulcans.  The Cedar Point and Lake Erie RR keeps getting squeezed by new coasters and I wanted to do that one more time, just in case it's not around much longer.

chessie8212
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21st, 2002, 4:36am »

Paul,

I was going to mention the Cedar Point and Lake Erie... I live in Fremont, about 25-30 minutes away and have been up there about every summer.  And I must say that the trip has gotten less enjoyable with the additions of all the super-coasters.  Just goes to show... people are more interested in speed and thrill than nicely paced relaxation.  

“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.”

Take only photos...
Leave only footprints.
PaulWWoodring
Enthusiast

« Reply #5 on: Nov 25th, 2002, 5:04am »

The CP&LE lost a lot of charm when they moved the outbound part of the track up against Perimeter Road, instead of it ducking into the woods like it did before they built the Millenuim Force.  It's also very sad to see Albert on static display, sans jacket, on the frontier trail.  I spent many happy hours firing and running it in the late 70's.  Running the Vulcan's can be an ordeal, the throttles on both of them do not catch in place and require constant effort to keep them open.

strasburg90
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 9:30pm »

for some reason,every likes top thrill dragster(one of the ceders points coasters)

TOP 10 STEAMERS!
prostock19
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26th, 2004, 10:25pm »

on Aug 26th, 2004, 9:30pm, reuter wrote:       (Click here for original message)
for some reason,every likes top thrill dragster(one of the ceders points coasters)

I like any coaster.  They ARE a train.  AND, they are FUN!!

Nitram
TRAINing

« Reply #8 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 9:46pm »

on Nov 25th, 2002, 5:04am, PaulWWoodring wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The CP&LE lost a lot of charm when they moved the outbound part of the track up against Perimeter Road, instead of it ducking into the woods like it did before they built the Millenuim Force.  It's also very sad to see Albert on static display, sans jacket, on the frontier trail.  I spent many happy hours firing and running it in the late 70's.  Running the Vulcan's can be an ordeal, the throttles on both of them do not catch in place and require constant effort to keep them open.

I am from the Cleveland area and remember the Ceder Point and Lake Erie  when it was first built in the 60's. It was quite a ride back then and they would pick out a few kids and give them cap guns to shoot at the train robbers that would attack on horse back. We would be awarded with a tin badge at the end of the ride. It was very qiant back then then the north end of Ceder point was still all woods and the train really went back through the trees and the neat scenes with the dummy villages and and all the cool surprises. Yes, coasters now rule Ceder Point and I will not be surprised when the narrow guage steam will loose out  to yet another  one. It sure was and is fun to see it yet.  Nitram

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 10:19pm »

Hi All,

Yes, the Disneyland trains are nice, but if you really want to go standard gauge, and a Consolidation to boot, try Knott's Berry Farm. They are in Buena Park, CA. and frankly I have more fun there than at Disneyland. To make it more interesting for the kids, the train gets held up by bandits on each trip. The bandits are stunt men, of course, and all get shot by the sherriff's posse, as usual. The falls they take, staged of course, are breath taking. The kids love it.  

Now if you also want to entertain the kids, get in some railfanning, some great photo opportunities; go to the Perris RR and Trolley museum, in Perris, CA. This is the Orange Empire Railway Museum, OERM. Check out their website. You can ride in the trolleys, ride behind first generation diesels and of course # 2, a 2-6-2 Prairie. Enjoy.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #10 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 2:44pm »

on Sep 15th, 2002, 4:03pm, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
CHESSIEMIKE

When I went there in 2000 I had to ride all the steamers  a few times  except the christmassy one becauase it wasnt running on week days  
PS Does disneyland have any steamers because im going after the election (dont forget to vote)

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2004, 2:45pm by BC_and_A_railway » Logged

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 3:22pm »

Oh yeas both disneys- Fl & CA, have a fleet of steamers!

strasburg90
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 7:21pm »

when i was 8,i was invited to ride in 1 of magic kingdoms steamers.fun

TOP 10 STEAMERS!
J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 8:58pm »

Here's a cool site for thje Disney RR's!
http://burnsland.com/sdra/

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #14 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 9:32pm »

Neat site

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
cagney#3
Railfan

« Reply #15 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 2:16pm »

i am a fireman on a 1/2 scale shay at rough and tumble historical engineers society in Kinzers Pa. If you are interseted, go to www. rough and tumble historical engineers association. com.

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #16 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 4:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I remember as a kid riding the Disney RR and asking my father, "Why does this train smell like a bus?"

At that time, their steamers ran on diesel fuel, but they since switched to (I think) propane.

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #17 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 6:46pm »

on Feb 8th, 2005, 2:16pm, cagney#3 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
i am a fireman on a 1/2 scale shay at rough and tumble historical engineers society in Kinzers Pa. If you are interseted, go to www. rough and tumble historical engineers association. com.

Cool! Thats a neat place!We have something like that here but isnt as big or nice..But they do have a small narrow gaugish RR like that with diesels 1 or passanger and 1 for something else(mow?or broken maybe)They also hav a Penn Centrel Caboose and a cab from a steam engine(no clue why they have a steam shop I think maybe there restoring one but no clue...and a speeder and other stuff like that..

Quote:
I remember as a kid riding the Disney RR and asking my father, "Why does this train smell like a bus?"  

At that time, their steamers ran on diesel fuel, but they since switched to (I think) propane.  

I also think they run on propane because theres not much of a smell(that I rember.)

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2005, 6:53pm by BC_and_A_railway » Logged

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
caboose9
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 10:31pm »

Pennsy said, "The Disneyland trains are nice, but if you really want to go standard gauge, try Knott's Berry Farm. They are in Buena Park, CA. "

Hmmm, standard gauge?  The last time I was there it was 3 feet narrow gauge.  The RGS #41 steamer & the RGS galloping goose are 36" gauge so ...?  Roger

S. Roger Kirkpatrick, Cortez, CO - Gateway to Mesa Verde National Park
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Mar 8th, 2005, 11:16am »

Yeah, Caboose9, the Knott's train is a 36"-gauge steam train (oops... heh-heh...  I think it's actually 3' 6" (or 42"), not 36"), purchased in the 1950s from the Durango & Silverton line, back when that line was still a narrow-gauge branch of the D&RGW.  This train is not a replica but an actual, century-old steam train running through a Southern California theme park.  Pennsy's right on the money-- from a railfanning standpoint, the Knott's train is in a class above Disney's 5/8 scale reproduction.  And that RGS "Galloping Goose" may be the all-time rara avis of Theme Park raildom.

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2005, 10:04am by Norm_Anderson » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »