Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 24th, 2017, 6:46am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Hoboken Terminal accident 9/29/16
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Stations
(Moderators: Henry, MNRAIL)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Hoboken Terminal accident 9/29/16  (Read 75 times)
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« on: Sep 29th, 2016, 10:36am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

http://abc7ny.com/news/train-accident-at-nj-transits-hoboken-station/1531786/#videoplayer

One down, one to go.......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Hoboken Terminal accident 9/29/16

« Reply #1 on: Oct 7th, 2016, 5:25pm »

Very sad, and rather a mess. Apparently one event recorder wasn't working (broke or tuned off, no word I have seen). They have apparently recovered the one in the lead car and found the train went into emergency (obviously too late) at a speed around 20 mph, double the limit entering the station area. Heard a news bit (No idea if accurate or from NTSB) stating train accelerated from c.10MPH, that engineer states no memory of accident (retrograde amnesia? advice from counsel?). Suppose NTSB will, at some point, tell us if the throttle advanced for some defect or the engineer adjusting the wrong way.

I repeat, very sad.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Oct 8th, 2016, 8:40am »

Clyde - E.E. - Lodge Members -

Your writer can't quite figure this one. So, a prudent approach to let NTSB do its work. AFAIK, it could have been a random "wild card" with  
Engineer and a sudden onset medical issue?

It would have been nice if the "nervous and jerky, hyper kinetic" riders would stay in their seats until train comes to a complete stop?
Bothersome report the Train did the run with many passengers otherwise standing in the aisles. (IMHO, bad practice)

............................. Vern..............................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Oct 9th, 2016, 10:01pm »

Don't know anything other than what is published.  That is, no inside knowledge, and would keep my mouth shut about it if I did.  

I would believe under 20 mph, maybe 10 mph, and maybe even less.  Remember, you have a lot of mass.

Having everybody sit down on a commuter train is usually impractical.  Given that they are  essentially one way services, anything about an average loading of around 50% usually means that there are standees coming into the terminal.  As far as getting up and moving toward the door as you are coming in to the terminal, that is the norm.  In fact, in going out, as the train is approaching your stop you are expected to be at or heading toward the door when the train is approaching the stop.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13th, 2016, 3:52pm »

on Oct 9th, 2016, 10:01pm, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Don't know anything other than what is published.  That is, no inside knowledge, and would keep my mouth shut about it if I did.  

I would believe under 20 mph, maybe 10 mph, and maybe even less.  Remember, you have a lot of mass.

Having everybody sit down on a commuter train is usually impractical.  Given that they are  essentially one way services, anything about an average loading of around 50% usually means that there are standees coming into the terminal.  As far as getting up and moving toward the door as you are coming in to the terminal, that is the norm.  In fact, in going out, as the train is approaching your stop you are expected to be at or heading toward the door when the train is approaching the stop.

That (getting up and ready to leave) may be expected. I don't do it - I am crippled up and I just sit there until the train (or airplane, if I HAVE get on one of them) has stopped and people are getting off and then get up and off myself. Obviously, if somebody yells "Fire in the aircraft" (that happened one time when I was on a helicopter), I get up and head out and do not wait upon my going...

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »