Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 20th, 2017, 1:22pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Re: Historic CNJ Jersey City terminal reopens today
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Stations
(Moderators: Henry, MNRAIL)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Re: Historic CNJ Jersey City terminal reopens today  (Read 352 times)
Long branch Flyer-Limited
Former Member

« Reply #20 on: Jul 11th, 2016, 12:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Jul 11th, 2016, 12:10pm, toptrain wrote:       (Click here for original message)
My guess on the whole thing is. with there shortage of ferries, a association with the New jersey Railroad became useful. The New Jersey railroad had a terminal and proper ferries, was looking for addition money to keep running so the CRRofNJ made the deal and acquired the time they needed to get there own terminal and fleet of ferries together. I don't think they were really operating until they had their own second terminal in place. Real information before the Civil war is hard to find.  
 frank

Frank:

Greatly appreciate your making this topic both informative and interesting!

During the Civil War years, the CRRofNJ was operating only two double-ended ferryboats, the "CENTRAL" and the "COMMUNIPAW" (both were out of commission circa-1903)

The next group of ferries ("ELIZABETH", "PLAINFIELD", and "FANWOOD" did not enter service until after the War.

The railroad also operated a "ferry steamer" route  from Elizabethport, to Pier 2, North (Hudson) River, via the Kill Van Kull, with stops at Bergen Point and mariners Harbor (Staten Island), using two steamers, the "KILL VAN KULL" and the "CHANCELLOR".

This line was discontinued in 1880.

Getting back to the terminal itself, a passenger train unable to stop plowed through the station and plunged into the river, via an empty ferry slip (November, 1876).......

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2016, 2:41pm by CLASSB » Logged
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Jul 12th, 2016, 10:42am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I quickly went through both the American Railroad Journal V49 1876, and the Railroad Gazette V8 1876 for a description of the train crash you mentioned at the end of the last post. I could find nothing. I also went through the following volumes of both Magazines. ARJ V50, and RG V9 of the following years. What I did find is that the CRRofNJ was in turmoil. Things the company was doing and the times caused the company to go into receivership. There was a article I read about Management problems, and even firings of employees. For all that I know about the crash, it may not have been a accident, but sabotage, or worse.  
 Where did you find the info. Could I get a copy of it.
 frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »