Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 30th, 2017, 12:47am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Re: Historic CNJ Jersey City terminal reopens today
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Stations
(Moderators: Henry, MNRAIL)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Re: Historic CNJ Jersey City terminal reopens today  (Read 335 times)
Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

images80BBPFDW.jpg - 7414 Bytes
« on: Jun 22nd, 2016, 4:05pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Looks brand new...............

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/images80BBPFDW.jpg
Click Image to Resize

One down, one to go.......
Loewys Flamboyant Locomotive
Former Member

« Reply #1 on: Jun 22nd, 2016, 5:59pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

All:

After several years of being closed due to the serious damage inflicted by Superstorm Sandy several years back, the historic CRRNJ terminal at Liberty State Park has been reopened to the public.

The historic terminal, which closed in 1967, suffered much damage during the storm, which especially wreaked havoc with the electrical, plumbing, and heating systems.

Several area newspapers have given coverage to this event; New Jersey News Channel 12 has also had several reports today on the re-opening of the depot.....

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2016, 8:04pm by CLASSB » Logged
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_5764_s.jpg - 92359 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jul 5th, 2016, 9:30am »

**  I got there yesterday and took some photos.
 frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/IMG_5764_s.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2016, 9:31am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_5767_640x480.jpg - 87862 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Jul 5th, 2016, 9:32am »

photo 2

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/IMG_5767_640x480.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2016, 2:34pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Long branch Flyer-Limited
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 5th, 2016, 10:11am »

Frank:

Thanks for posting these pictures....BEAUTIFUL job!

Though the riverfront facade of the late 19th century headhouse is truly magnificent, to me, it looks naked and incomplete without the old two-level ferry terminal building that was torn down in the early 80's.

On the positive side, today one can truly appreciate the stately architecture of the now-unobstructed headhouse.

The terminal was a large part of my growing up years back in the 60's, and I am very grateful that I have many memories of this historic station while it was still in use.

It is hard to believe that next year will mark the 50th anniversary of the terminal's closure.....time flies all too fast.......

"L.F.L."

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_5763_s.jpg - 105191 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Jul 5th, 2016, 2:22pm »

photo 3 the train shed concourse and a track the Reading Crusader.  
 frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/IMG_5763_s.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_5768_s.jpg - 100133 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Jul 5th, 2016, 2:25pm »

photo 4, this is the best my camera has for a wide angle lenses.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/IMG_5768_s.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: Jul 5th, 2016, 2:51pm »

Frank:

Once again, THANKS for sharing your EXCELLENT photos.....you really know how to take cool shots!

In the your last photo, note the small second floor balcony (dead center) draped with bunting, with doors behind.

That marks the location of the former passageway that connected the main waiting room staircase with the upper ferry concourse (two long-gone inclined passageways once flanked the main headhouse, leading up from the train concourse to the upper level ferry concourse)

I truly regret that the State has allowed the Bush sheds (the largest ever constructed) to decay, crumble, and rust for decades; surely, over the past forty years, funds could have been allocated for both its stabilization and rehabilitation.

Those sheds are a historic landmark in their own right, and more than deserve preservation; like the now-gone ferry terminal, the train sheds are an important and integral part of the historic terminal complex.

Again, thank you for sharing some truly beautiful photos.......

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2016, 6:24pm by CLASSB » Logged
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Jul 6th, 2016, 5:21pm »

" L.F.L." well abbreviated person I had fun doing it. I don't live far away, and like to bring my bicycle there to ride in the park and downtown Jersey City. You've added some interesting facts yourself.  
* Now, if only the Jersey City library would reopen. Maybe I could do a little more research. It is sad that so little information is aviable on the first terminal in New Jersey on the Hudson. Also their, the NJR&TCo.'s second terminal. Latter on after two hostile takeovers their name is lost and the only company remembered is the PRR, who did the second one.  
 frank

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2016, 5:31pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Former Member

« Reply #9 on: Jul 6th, 2016, 5:46pm »

Frank:

When I hit this planet in January, 1957, Jersey City (where I was born) still had three active waterfront rail terminals.

These were the ERIE (Pavonia Avenue), the PRR (Exchange Pl.), and the CNJ (Johnston Avenue); out of the three, the ERIE and CNJ were still operating ferryboats to Manhattan.

Jersey City's railroad heritage was so rich and diverse that the few publications out there on Jersey City railroads don't even begin to tell the story.

If you can obtain a copy of "RAILROADING IN NEW JERSEY" (John T. Cunningham, 1951) for a reasonable price (I bought mine off of eBay a few years back for $15.00) by all means purchase it.....it is more than woth what you pay for it.

Getting back to the CNJ terminal, to those of us older fellows who can recall  what the terminal complex looked like when it was still in service, what remains today looks far removed from those memories.

The 1914 ferry terminal, the Express and Mail Buildings, all long ago demolished, were conspicuous features of the terminal back in the day, and the remaining headhouse, with its crumbling train sheds, looks strangely denuded and bare, despite its soaring magnificence.

The 1889 headhouse serves to remind us of a long-ago time, when rail hubs (and many other public buildings) were truly monuments in their own right.....

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2016, 5:48pm by CLASSB » Logged
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Jul 7th, 2016, 8:04pm »

on Jul 6th, 2016, 5:46pm, Long branch Flyer-Limited wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Frank:

When I hit this planet in January, 1957, Jersey City (where I was born) still had three active waterfront rail terminals.

These were the ERIE (Pavonia Avenue), the PRR (Exchange Pl.), and the CNJ (Johnston Avenue); out of the three, the ERIE and CNJ were still operating ferryboats to Manhattan.

Jersey City's railroad heritage was so rich and diverse that the few publications out there on Jersey City railroads don't even begin to tell the story.

If you can obtain a copy of "RAILROADING IN NEW JERSEY" (John T. Cunningham, 1951) for a reasonable price (I bought mine off of eBay a few years back for $15.00) by all means purchase it.....it is more than woth what you pay for it.

Getting back to the CNJ terminal, to those of us older fellows who can recall  what the terminal complex looked like when it was still in service, what remains today looks far removed from those memories.

The 1914 ferry terminal, the Express and Mail Buildings, all long ago demolished, were conspicuous features of the terminal back in the day, and the remaining headhouse, with its crumbling train sheds, looks strangely denuded and bare, despite its soaring magnificence.

The 1889 headhouse serves to remind us of a long-ago time, when rail hubs (and many other public buildings) were truly monuments in their own right.....

"L.F.L."

Hi again. I have that book. And Hills to the Hudson, and Indian trails to Iron Horses. The best book I found on the New Jersey Railroad and transportation Company is the" Railway and Locomotive Historical Society's" Bulletin 88. Still the only views that can be found of the first terminal are 3. I is horrible, drawn in a perspective from the south west from about 1834 to 1840. Train shed only. Another drawn from the north west shown a head house and train shed from 1843 to 1850. The last a view from the east, out on the river. It is of just most of the front of the terminal. 80%. A very small drawing that was attached to a Jersey City map of 1848. There is a fourth but it is worse than horrible. Again from out on the river.  

frank

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2016, 8:05pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Former Member

« Reply #11 on: Jul 7th, 2016, 8:14pm »

Frank:

Years ago, I bought a book on commuter railroads (I misplaced it years ago) that had a drawing depicting the 1889 CNJ terminal when new.

It showed the terminal from the river, showing the original wooden ferry sheds, and also, an interior view of the main waiting room.

As the two-level 1914 ferry terminal is no more, I would have at least liked to have seen the original wooden 1889 ferry sheds reconstructed; at least, this would have given park visitors a more authentic look as to how the original terminal complex originally appeared prior to the massive 1914-era reconstruction/modernization......

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2016, 7:35am by CLASSB » Logged
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Jul 8th, 2016, 10:11am »

LFL, the 1889 terminal was the third they had in Jersey City.
I stumbled on a drawing of the first terminal published in 1875 and again in 1878, in color. It was a 2 track train shed on the end of a long pier. There seemed to be no steam ferry at the time for 13 or more sloops are anchored at the terminal. the position of these sloops blocks any ferry from getting access to the pier in front of the train shed terminal. I have a drawing of what replaced this haphazard operation. And another of the terminal on 1889. In 1859 or 60 the CNJ made a agreement with the N.J.R.R. & T. Co. to use their cut through Bergen hill and used the NJRR terminal and ferry service. I think the stink of the NYC trash being dumped off of Communipaw Avenue atop the clam and oyster fields, destroying a industry, was to much for the passengers to bare. Nothing is written of exactly what happened with the trash except the stink. It is amazing that the CNJ was allowed to do that.

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Former Member

« Reply #13 on: Jul 8th, 2016, 12:58pm »

Frank:

As always, I appreciate both your input and historical data.....thank you!

According to "RAILROAD FERRIES OF THE HUDSON" (Baxter/Adams) in 1863, the Cental let out the contract for their first double-ended ferryboat (the "CENTRAL") to Devine Burtis of Brooklyn.

She was first documented  on May 11, 1865, and served the railroad well until she was retired in 1900.

The "CENTRAL" became the basic design boat for all future CRRofNJ sidewheel ferries.

Her sister, the "COMMUNIPAW", was also built in 1863; these two boats were the first to operate to the original Liberty St. terminal in 1865.

Later on, the "FANWOOD" (built in 1876) was equipped with electric lights in 1883; this experiment proved so successful that the rest of the ferry fleet also received electric lighting, quite a novelty at that time....

"L.F.L."

PS: Regarding "sloops" (and "schooners")

I have read that some railroads used such vessels to transport coal, starting in the 19th century; the READING once had a sizeable fleet of schooner barges, that, while normally were towed by a steam tug, they were also equipped with masts and sails, much like those on a conventional schooner, but on a smaller scale.

These sails could expedite the progress of a "tow" when the wind was abaft the beam.

The sails could also be used in the event of a tow line severing; if there was enough wind, the sails could be raised and the vessel maneuvered  to the nearest dock.

There were also "sailing lighters"; commonplace in NY Harbor from the 1850's onwards, these little sailing vessels handled coal and cargo efficiently for years, until being replaced by towed barges and scows by the end of the 19th century.

By the 1850's, steam-powered tugboats (referred to then as "towboats" or "hook boats"  had also become commonplace in the harbor........

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2016, 1:06am by CLASSB » Logged
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

CRR_of_NJ_Jersey_city_1875-1878_-_Copy.jpg - 87848 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: Jul 11th, 2016, 6:38am »

to LFL.
 I'll post a view of the first CRRofNJ Terminal. 1875 view.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/CRR_of_NJ_Jersey_city_1875-1878_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2016, 7:19am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

ferry_CRR_of_NJ_1.jpg - 144283 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Jul 11th, 2016, 6:47am »

CRRofNJ's second terminal with ferry Central in dock and Ferry Communipaw heading in to dock. You can see the three bell towers together seeming to be at the street end of the ferry terminal. Looking above the empty ferry slip to the left, above the words Long Branch Railroad, is seen the roof of what may be the train shed. On its right side is seen a bell tower. At this time signaling of bells announced arrival and departures of trains, as well as ferries. This is something passed on from the ship industry to the railroads. The fact that 3 towers are seen above the street side of the center ferry terminal and there are 3 operational ferry slips, passengers arriving car respond to the ferry terminal bell to know which ferry slip has the soon to be departing ferry in it. Also ferry passengers respond to the train terminal bell signals to know when a train is soon to depart or is soon to arrive.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/ferry_CRR_of_NJ_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2016, 7:23am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

imageBH8O91Kb.jpg - 121172 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: Jul 11th, 2016, 7:17am »

*** The Third CRRofNJ terminal. Opened in 1889.  
** Seen as built with its large train shed and 4 ferry slips. The ferry Elizabeth is seen in the first near slip with the ferry Communipaw seen in the further third slip.
frank
V-172-186

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/imageBH8O91Kb.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2016, 7:25am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Former Member

« Reply #17 on: Jul 11th, 2016, 7:53am »

Frank:

Am MOST impressed with the first two views of the terminal you posted.....never saw either before!

The 1875 view is indeed a puzzler, showing the group of sailing vessels clustered around the terminal; as the CRRofNJ was operating double-ended ferries since the 1860's, it seems odd than none are depicted.

This one indeed has me scratching my head!

The second view clearly shows a more modern facility;the single-deck, walking-beam boats were typical of most harbor ferries of that era.

(The PRR was the first railroad to utilize upper deck loading for the ferries; the CRRofNJ's Jersey City terminal was not so equipped until the 1912-1914 era rebuilding program. PRR passenger trains, arriving at the new 1890-era terminal via a viaduct, entered the trainshed from the second-floor level. Detraining passengers connected with the upper decks of the boats simply by walking through the terminal concourse; no ramps or stairways were required)

I found the use of the bells quite interesting; I did know that fog bells were commonplace at the slips themselves.

Speaking of bells, I have always wondered if the clock surmounted by the terminal's distinctive steeple was equipped with a striking mechanism.

The 1889 drawing was the one I had mentioned to you earlier; it indeed was an era when folks dressed most stylishly when they traveled........

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2016, 7:59am by CLASSB » Logged
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Jul 11th, 2016, 12:10pm »

My guess on the whole thing is. with there shortage of ferries, a association with the New jersey Railroad became useful. The New Jersey railroad had a terminal and proper ferries, was looking for addition money to keep running so the CRRofNJ made the deal and acquired the time they needed to get there own terminal and fleet of ferries together. I don't think they were really operating until they had their own second terminal in place. Real information before the Civil war is hard to find.  
 frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Jul 11th, 2016, 12:18pm »

**1859 stock holders report.

The past information I found for the CRRofNJ's agreement with the NJR&TCo. to use there cut to the river is in the " American Railroad Journal of 1860, Volume 33, starting on page 155 and continuing on the 157. The agreement is mentioned on page 157. This link will open that Journal to page 155. You can once in this book read any page. This is a Hathi Trust Digital Library book and if you join, which is free, download book here.
 the Link; Opens to p-155, the start of the CRRofNJ's 1859 report.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiuo.ark:/13960/t3hx22r20;view=1up;seq=164  
 frank

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2016, 5:39pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »