Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 25th, 2017, 11:54am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Books on Stations
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Stations
(Moderators: Henry, MNRAIL)
   Books on Stations
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Books on Stations  (Read 433 times)
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Re:  Books on Stations
  IMG_5296.jpg - 88617 Bytes
« Reply #40 on: Apr 14th, 2016, 9:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The 15th book covered is a Jersey City Post card book, by Randal Gabrielan. This is a book of Jersey City views. Postcards from mainly 1907 to 1910. Many, many postcards. Few on stations. Only 9 of them show stations.
 1. Page 16 Exchange Street Terminal, PRR 1907.
 2. Page 41, Pacific Street Station, CRR of NJ, 1909.  
 3. Page 43, Communipaw Station, CRR of NJ, 1908.
 4. Page 71, Station Franklin Street, and Ogden Ave. New Jersey Junction R.R., 1908.
 5. Page 87, Arlington station, Newark and New York R.R. 1910.
 6. Page 100, West Side Avenue Station, N&NYRR, 1905.  
 7. Page 106, Jackson Avenue Station seen from tracks in cut. N&NYRR, 1905.
 8. Page 106 bottom, Jackson Avenue Station, N&NYRR. street level, 1908.
 9. Page 123, Van Nostrand Station, CRR of NJ, 1910.

These 9 postcards made this purchase. Though Exchange place is a well covered location the other 8 small stations make this book a worth while purchase.

Frank
 V-228

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/IMG_5296.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2016, 8:17am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_5295.jpg - 131150 Bytes
« Reply #41 on: Apr 20th, 2016, 8:59am »

The 16th Book is; "Central Railroad of New Jersey, Stations, Structures, and Marine Equipment." By Benjamin L. Bernhart.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/IMG_5295.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2016, 3:09pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #42 on: Apr 23rd, 2016, 2:20pm »

From the 16th book  "Central Railroad of New Jersey, Stations, Structures, and Marine Equipment." By Benjamin L. Bernhart, I made a list of all stations in the book from Jersey City to Phillipsburg. I even added some history on some of the stations. All info taken from this book and referenced by page number.
 frank

CRR of NJ Stations, structures, and Marine Equipment. By Benjamin L. Bernheart
First a little History
* Predecessor Railway of the CRR of NJ was the Elizabethtown and Somerville Railroad. Chartered by the State of New Jersey on Feb 9 1831. It took 11 years to build this railroad from Elizabethtown to Somerville. Many early dates here are of when this railroad, the E&S was the building and operating the railroad line. This was a poorly funded Railroad almost always in debt. The panic of 1837, and the cost of building the railroad drained it's treasury. It continued to bankruptcy through 1846 and collapsed in1847.
* The original purpose of the E&S was to get to the coal fields of Pennsylvania. The coal fields were a more distant, almost unreachable goal with their present financial backers. The E&S was purchased by a group headed by John O. Sterns and Coffin Colkett. The E&S now was able to rise from its financial woos. On 02-20-1847 this group received the railroads second charter as the Central Railroad of New Jersey, and a additional charter for the Somerville and Easton Railroad. On June 28 1848 John Taylor Johnston became President of this railroad . All this would tie them into Easton PA. and the Lehigh and Susquehanna Railroad and their route to the coal fields.
station photos in book;
 Jersey city to Phillipsburg.
* p-39, Communipaw station view 1 of 1891 stone station westbound side and island platform built 1910.
*                                                     2 of steps down from over-passing bridge to island platform.
                                                      3 bottom view of original wood station from1868. "I think".
p-39  1 Van Nostrand Place Station.
         2 Greenville station. And bottom the Greenville station overpass foot bridge.
p-42  1 East 49th street station Bayonne. 1867 known as Pamrapo.
         2 East 45th street Station Bayonne.  
         2 east 33rd street Station Bayonne.  
 P-43 1 Eight street Station westbound Bayonne
         2 bottom  8th street eastbound Station.
p-44 bottom left maybe only known view of Avenue A Station.  
p-53 and 54 views of Elizabeth-port raised Station.  
p-55 Elizabeth station top right is east and west elevated stations. Eastbound station still remains 2016. West bound destroyed by freight train crash 11-04 1972.
  OF Note: on this page is Elizabeth freight station 30' X 100' built using Reading Railroad standard plains. A wider one can still be found at the old Plainfield freight yard, east of Plainfield Station. P-61 5th line from bottom tell of a new freight station built in 1895 was 45' X 157'. This could be the freight station in my photos .
p-56 1 El Mora stations east and west bound. Top of page.
        2 Lorrain Station. Middle of page.
        3 Rosell Park Station, 42nd street and Westfield Avenue
p-57 1 top left, Roselle Station. Eastbound.  
        2 middle, Aldene Station. At junction with the Lehigh valley RR.
P-59 Cranford; in 1839 a station platform was erected and a station stop named "French House" was created. The first station was constructed there in 1844. In 1865 a standard station was built and the 1844 station became a freight house. Around that time the station name was changed to Cranford. Middle photo p-59 is of east and west bound stations.
   2 middle right photo, Garwood Station.
p-60 1 Westfield Station top view, original station 1869, sold to Westfield
        2 middle right eastbound Station around 1939, built 1912-13.
        3 middle top westbound Station built 1891, view around 1939.
        4 bottom bridge near Westfield.
p-61 1 Fanwood Station.  
        2 Neatherwood Station, Plainfield.
p-62 1  three more views of Plainfield station top half.
        2 bottom left. Clinton Avenue Station. In 1872 when built the name was " Evona ".
Eva was the name of John Tyler Johnson , president of the CRR of NJ. This station stop was added in 1872. Name was changed the Clinton Avenue station in January 1895.
       3 bottom right, Dunellen Station. Original name was "New Market" when established in 1840.There was no town here only a Farm Market where goods were loaded on to cars for shipment and buyers and workers would arrive and depart. A store on Grove street was used as a waiting room until 1865. The Crr of NJ layed out the town in May of 1868.
 p- 63   About the name: CNJ president Mr. Johnston named the station after a friend's wife. Ellen Betts. Dunn means Hill in Scotch. So Ellen's Hill became the name. Spoken in the Scotch way " Dunellen ".
           Middlesex Station Established in 1896 original name was Lincoln. A statue of Lincoln stood on the grounds of the station. In 1893 a 1 story station was built here. A new roof design was added in 1915. This photo is of that station with the new roof.
p-64 1 top photo Bound Brook station. Photo is of the a older standard CNJ station built there, with this  station built in 1872. Station was established here in 1840, named " Yellow Tavern. In 1842 a new station was built and named Bound Brook.. Another new station was built in 1859-60. Then this 1872 station was built.  
      2 middle photo, New East bound station. Also a west bound station.  After tracks were raised a this modern station was built.
      3 bottom photo, Manville-Finderne Station. Original name was Finderne Station.  Manville added in 1913. The name F e n d e r n has disappeared from maps. Only the name Manville remains.
p-65  Somerville Station . End of the line for the old E&S. Ans the start os the line for the S&E                   ( Somerville & Easton).This entire page covers this station & other railroad structures there.
p-66  Also on Somerville Station with a additional photo of the Station.
P-67 Raritan Station , middle photo. On the old S&E from here on.
p-68 1 Top. Second photo of Raritan Station.
        2 Middle bottom. North Branch Station. At bridge crossing of the north branch of the Raritan river.
        3 Bottom. White House Station. Photo named rear view of station. Now a local public library.
p-69 1 top left. Lebanon Station. This is the second station built here. The first was built in1855.  
        2 top right. Annandale Station. Original name of first station built in1852 was Clinton. Name changed to Annandale in 1870.
        3 High Bridge Station. Covered platform only. Named after the bridge built over the north branch of the Raritan river. The bridge was 105' high and 1300' long. The majority of this bridge as filled in with dirt in 1860. This bridge would move when crossed with newer heaver trains. The fill stabilized the bridge.
        4 bottom. High bridge Station in 1940.
p-70 1 top left and right. Glen Gardner Station. When established it was named Clarkville in 1852. It was named Spruce Run in 1864. Then renamed Glen Gardner in 1870. A standard station show in this photo was built in1868.  
        2 Bottom. Hampton Station. First called New Hampton when established in 1852. In 1902 name changed to Junction, due to junction with the DL&W.
p-71 1 top left. 1941 photo of Hampton station.
        No  photo. Valley Station.  Original name was Bethlehem station 1952. Changed to Valley about 1855. New station built 1971 due to station destroyed by fire in 1870. No photo here.
         2 bottom. Ludlow Ashbury Station photo around 1941. A very nice all stone station built in 1900. Original station built 1852 -1854 ?. Ludlow added in 1915.
p-72 1 top. Ludlow Ashbury Station in 1939, a second photo.  
        2 middle left. . Ludlow Ashbury Station. A third view.
        3 middle right. Bloomsbury Station. Established and a standard station built in 1869.  
        4 bottom left. Springtown Station. Became a stop in 1852. This 2 story brick station built in 1870-1880 ?.
p- 73 1 photo middle left top. Vulcanite Station. A concrete passenger station built in 1915. Became a stop in 1894. Named after a on line concrete business. Company closed after WW2 and the CNJ closed the station then.
p-76  Phillipsburg Station; 5 photos on this page of this station built 1914-1915.  A station shared by the DL&W and the CNJ. This station was built 1914-1915. First station built by the CRR of NJ 1852. Burned down 1857. Second station, a enlarged CRR of NJ standard station built in 1859. CNJ moved into the DL&W station in 1890. This station was built around 1868.  

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2016, 2:22pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: May 31st, 2016, 6:32am »

The main reason for little being added to this thread is for the last 5 weeks I have either been layed up awaiting a surgery procedure, or for the last 3 weeks recovering for it. I hope to be able to drive the over 1 and 1/2 hours to Allentown Pa for the train show on Saturday September 10 at Merchants Square Mall. Between the train show and a mall full of antique shops I should come home with something. I'll be 5 weeks and 2 days past surgery. should be OK.  
 frank

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2016, 8:38am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_6520_-_Copy.jpg - 110696 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: Oct 2nd, 2016, 10:35am »

**  I could not find another book on stations till now. I got it in the mail last Wednesday.
* Title; " All Stations", " A Journey Through 150 Years of Railroad History "
*  By Thames and Hudson. 1981. A joint effort by multiple writers I would guess. With the forward written and final editing by Jean Dethier of the French edition and Translated by Richard Foxcroft for the English edition.
* Basics; A hard cover book, of 175 pages though you will not find a page numbered from 135 to 175. A insert of 40 pages are found between pages 16 and 17, numbered in roman numerals. These are all I think in French, with translation for these pages starting on pages 11 through 15. To me this was not a hindrance, even though I don't read French, but enjoyable and different for me to read. Their are 381 illustrations, with 152 in color. Book size is 9 3/4"
 X 8".
* This book was first published in 1978 in France, to me explaining the 50 page insert in French. Second publishing in German in 1980 followed by a Spanish addition also in 1980. The following year in English. I like their attempt at keep this book somewhat universal, for the content is. I have only paged through this book one time completely, only reading about whatever caught my eye and was of interest to me. I guess you can say that I am not a professional reviewer of books. At this time just a mere amateur at this profession. What did catch my eye was page 89 and its 3 illustrations.  One of many stations used for this purpose. Two photos and one drawing. The three titles explain this stations horrible purpose. One Station That Should Never Be Removed From History! One Station That Should Never Be Forgotten! Title 3, "The Rails Leading To Auschwitz"! Title 4 "The Final Destination"! Title 5, "Waiting for Death On A Platform"! As said here in print," Next Stop The Gas Chamber". Maybe all the station, used for this purpose, should have been preserved. "Less We forget !"
* I wonder where the Armenian train stations are shown?  Maybe the Turks would like to see them.  
* This book is full of drawings of old stations. Photos of others. Even some photos and drawing of station not ever built, but were part of a competition arranged to accept the best station for a proposed site. Some drawings are of particular architectural details of a section of a station. Even a few hand drawn sketches of possible ideas. The content list is divided into 15 of 16 categories. The index list the first page number of each. Text on these first pages is made to further identify the purpose of these categories of station information. Now I like trains and am not as I said the best person to be composing a report for this book. My love of trains has grown to the architecture of Stations and location information on station of interest to me. Paging through this book and looking for stations of interest is what I do. As this book was written and first published in French the cosmopolitan views here reflect mainly European and not North, Central, and South American stations. The coverage is not equal especially on early 1830 to 1860 American stations verses European stations. It is not even close to equal. Though interesting the wrong book for my needs.  
 Frank

" The Station: A modern day Tower of Babel." as described in the title of the first item on content list. This also gives the name of the cover station pictured.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/IMG_6520_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2016, 10:50am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »