Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 6:21am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Jersey City, Ist and 2nd terminal, NJRR, opened 1834.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Stations
(Moderators: Henry, MNRAIL)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Jersey City, Ist and 2nd terminal, NJRR, opened 1834.  (Read 696 times)
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

1848_NJRR_-_Copy.jpg - 104112 Bytes
« on: Dec 14th, 2015, 10:46am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

*   Most information in any book covering this first 1834 terminal or the following second 1857 terminal had derogatory things to say about these two terminal. Always comparing the first terminal to the large big city stations built 20 to 30 years later on. At the time of opening of the first terminal, Jersey city had a population of 1,500 people. Information printed in the Book " From the "Hills to the Hudson" on page 179 has two of the three period drawings to be found of this first terminal. The top Drawing is incomplete and basic. It is noted on this page that this station, as it appears opened in 1834. At the time of its opening the drawing shows a 3 track train shed, which for 1834 is large. This terminal when opened had no head house, and was continually added to, as for of 1848 drawing below, as shown in the book on page 178 (same book), a head house is there at this time, along with a Greek Revival styled facade applied to the east, north and south sides of the head house. This 1848 drawing shows this more complete terminal.  
* It was built by the New Jersey Rail Road and Transportation Co. as their Jersey City terminal. The first in New Jersey on the Hudson River.  Located on Hudson street between Montgomery and Mercier Streets. In almost the same place as the PRR would build its Exchange place terminal, which was the third terminal built there. The only difference is this first terminal was between Green and Hudson streets. The third terminals built in this location was built by the PRR in the same place as the second terminal, east of Hudson street. It lasted about a year or so. So many Jersey City PRR stations were catching on fire that I couldn't keep track of which was which. In addition a view of the first terminal headhouse from the riverside is shown on a 1848 map of Jersey City. It show a squared off front with 9 tall columns like a  Ancient Greek or Roman building would have.  
* I am awaiting a copy of " the Hills to the Hudson" and it should arrive I hope within a week. Until them verbal descriptions will have to do. (Edited 1-26-2016 I have it now !)  
* The artist. N. Sarony of the 1849 view shows all three track entrances as having stone arches. This would mean a stone block or a brick building. The head-house shows one single bell tower located centered on the gable roof. Railroads back then would signal arrivals and departures with a bell. The long side walls show many door or window openings, also arched. Somewhere I did see measurements for this building. I got to find them again. I have gone through all my info saved and haven't found any measurements of yet 1-26-2016.  
* Because of the time needed to build the cut on the western side of Bergen Hill through the Palisades rock formation, from the junction with the Patterson and Hudson River Railroad, at what would become Marion Junction, temporary track was laid and horse drawn trains were used for the trip up hill to the River front terminal at Hudson street. The first scheduled train up through the cut was made on Jan 22 1838. This was the start of train service from New Brunswick to New York City. This is opening date for steam powered service of the NJRR throughout its line, though they didn't send their horses out to pasture just yet, not having enough steam locomotives.  By the time servicse was opened to New Brunswick the road was all steam powered. Once the C&A completed its track to New Brunswick NJ, trough train service was available from Philadelphia to New York.  

Frank  

PS I would trust info from the source book mentioned here for it was taken directly out of the  Railway and locomotive History Society Journal, Volume 88, . The source for this R&LHS journal, volume 88 which covers the NJRR&TCo. and the book from the "Hills to the Hudson", also the book by Wheaton Lane, "History of New Jersey transportation", From "Indian Trails to Iron Horses", is the  Princeton University Thesis by Leslie E. freeman Jr. This thesis it seems is the holy grail of all New Jersey transportation information from 1620 to 1860.  

Changed sketch to what is more represented of the terminal when completed around 1846 as seen from Montgomery St and Greene St. 2-5-16. There is no sketch from the period I have seen. I did the sketch. Updating the 1834 train shed sketch. Adding the head house. with other details gleaned from the 2 other views aviable.  
 frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/1848_NJRR_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2017, 6:36am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Jersey City, Ist terminal, NJRR, opened 1834.
  NJRR_waterfront_1848-closeup.jpg - 192641 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 4th, 2016, 12:56pm »

Here a is a bit about first terminal in Jersey City, speaking of what is seen on the 3 different views aviable. It is from two book I own. From the Hills to the Hudson and Indian Trails to iron Horse.
*** How sad that these three are the only early useful views of this first terminal. In From the hills to the Hudson,the 1834 view is of a incomplete terminal with only a train shed. The 1834 view shows a west wall and a south wall. The roof isn't drawn. The south wall is a long rectangle. the West wall shows a gabled roof line, with 3 train entrance doors, but no roof. This train shed still was of a good size being over 200' long. The with was about 70' to 80' .It enclosed 3 tracks and I would guess 4 platforms. The west 3 entrances were surrounded by stone arches. As I said the building most likely was of brick or stone. Large arches lined the south wall. No detailed view of the north wall is accessible to me if it exists.  There is a sharp angled view from the west that shows just enough of the north side to make you imagine things about its architecture.  
* A view below is of the 1st terminal once completed, from the river. It is from a 1848 map of Jersey City.

* Hudson street went left to right between the ferry terminal, and the NJRR&TCo. terminal.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/NJRR_waterfront_1848-closeup.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2017, 6:22pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

1848_NJRR_Terminal_JCs.jpg - 117004 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31st, 2016, 8:24pm »

V-64  

* Going along with the first reply and the partial drawing of the front of the head house of the 1st Terminal in Jersey City New Jersey. The map here shows a terminal with 9 columns across the front of the terminal. Four additional columns go up each side. 17 Columns are represented by 17 dots on the map. The columns support the temple like facade outside all three walls of the Head House. The terminal outline is shown in both the 1844 map on page 178 in" the Hills to the Hudson" and this 1848 map of Jersey City. This outline is the same on both maps. So the columned head house was there in 1844. I have seen a much poorer drawing of the waterfront seen before 1845 and it also showed the columned facade of the terminal which changes nothing
* There seem to be only 2 mentions of this terminal with only one saying anything about it. The one says it was only a train shed with no head house with no real Architectural decorations. And didn't say any nice things. This is correct for when the terminal was first used in 1834, for only the train shed was completed then. Even then the NJRR did say that there terminal was not completed and being constantly updated. When in 1838 when the cut was completed and steam roamed from this Hudson River Terminal to New Brunswick no mention of this terminal is made anywhere. Well what is shown here says that at least by 1844 the terminal was completed and it had a decorative head house. The P&HRR terminal was not opened till 1848. This railroad used the NJRR terminal before then. There terminal in Patterson was no more than a shed. I have a photo of it.  
*I have no idea of why, when this terminal was completed that there was no recorded record of a celebration on that day. There are noted celebrations recorded for  the opening of service to Newark, to Elizabeth, to Rahway, Metuchen, even a big one for Hyland Park, then called East New Brunswick, and a gigantic one for the opening of the bridge across the Raritan river and service to New Brunswick. They partied all day for that one. I have read all I can find on the NJRR&T Co. I found nothing about when it was complete. I can only tell by the dated artistic evidence available to me.  
* Here is the map. More to come, of this I am sure. I like to talk !
 Frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/1848_NJRR_Terminal_JCs.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2016, 9:24am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

1845_NJRR.jpg - 168143 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Feb 1st, 2016, 9:28am »

V-72

This is the 1845 view from Battery Park. As I said it is of much poorer quality. Not a art work but a sketch. You should see 9 columns and the bell tower. This sketcher is from a Barber and Howe print. These are the incorrect features. Only shows 7 columns, of various widths. ( should be 9 facing east ). A very poor representation of the NJRR&TCo. depot that has no info at all.

frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/1845_NJRR.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2017, 6:56pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Henry
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Feb 3rd, 2016, 10:39am »

I am learning from it, but I don't have anything to add, sorry.

Flemington Flyer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Feb 3rd, 2016, 11:55am »

You're the one "teaching" us, so like Henry said, what is there to say?

One down, one to go.......
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

1844_NJRR_a.jpg - 59957 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Feb 4th, 2016, 7:40am »

I'm no teacher ! Just a old guy lost in old information. Wondering why there isn't more. I love to see a good rendition in sketch or paint of that first terminal. I like to find the measurements of the building. I know if I can find the size of the of the foundations from the tax map block that it is on. I can convert what I see in the tax lot map to actual measurements, angles and all. That would give us a footprint of the building. No height measurements are found anywhere as on now. I am looking forward to getting back to the Jersey City Library and going through the info that John Beekman provides there. Spoke with him last week. he said the Library has the Book " Indian trails to iron Horses". I am hoping it is a original copy from Princeton University. They printed the entire theses with all conclusions, and comprehensive bibliography's  by the Author. You get to read everything. All the info he found. The Author of the Theses is Leslie E, Freeman Jr. The Author of the book "Indian Trails to Iron horses" is in named " Weaton J. Lane ".
 frank

Here I have a place for my altered copy of the 1834 view of the 1st terminal. This is the earliest view of the terminal when all that was completed was a train shed . I added a roof for their was none. As to the length of the building the original drawing suggests a building, in a fog going on much longer, with many more arched openings. The original drawing of the terminal in 1848 shows 8 opening for arched doors or windows on the north side. Because of the angle of the building making the south wall longer, I add 2 more openings. Not exactly architectural evidence but the best I can do.

* About what was aviable in this structure call just a train shed by a few book uppity authors.  

** This is the Victorian Age !  To think, not even for one moment, that the accommodations offered to the travailing public on this railroad, in this depot, were not complete, is a impossibility. That so called train shed had to offer ticket services, separate, men and women's waiting rooms, and restroom facilities. All aviable to the traveling public in that structure, or VERY close by.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/1844_NJRR_a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2017, 9:04am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

1845_NJRRc.jpg - 71552 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Feb 4th, 2016, 9:13am »

V-95 ,V-112

I mentioned the sharp angled view from the north-west that shows a little of the detail on that north wall. This is it. Look at the front 5 column side here. The depot Hudson street structure is also a gable roof slightly higher than the train shed gable. The outside façade highest detail is what gives the appearance of the flat roof there. It is built to that height just to block any view of the gable roof of the front depot structure. I hope the roughness of the sketch of the detail is what was actually there. If the 1839 date for the complete opening of the railroad means that this terminal was also as you see it here, I would say that speed in completion would have caused this messy look, but this drawing was made in 1848. My view of the building from the south side because of the arrangement of the three structures could have been made to blended better together. On the north wall extending the columns further and wrapping them around to the train shed wall would have looked much better.  
* A second view showing the north wall at a angle from the northwest would expel or confirm this opinions on the structure.
* In this sketch I have added some detail. The columns on the north side originally ended at the terminal head house west wall. The decorative temple like façade abruptly ended here. A unfinished appearance of the façade support beams tying into the head house roof looked bad. In my sketches I finished the west wall. I continued the look of the Façade along the west wall wherever possible. In both of my sketches I hide the way the façade ties into the head house.
* I still want to do a sketch of the Hudson Street entrance with its 9 column front façade. Because of the angle views of the other 2 sketches it , the front sketch, when added would cover the whole building.  
 frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/1845_NJRRc.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2016, 8:59am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

appletons_companion_48_-_Copy.jpg - 66645 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Feb 5th, 2016, 5:01pm »

** Something to think about !
* I wonder if the outside façade of the head-house is a afterthought. Maybe the original station head-house added to the train-shed was just to plain and the columned exterior façade added later to hide the plainness of the terminal.  
Original drawing of terminal in 1848.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/appletons_companion_48_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2016, 6:15pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Henry
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Feb 5th, 2016, 5:07pm »

on Feb 5th, 2016, 5:01pm, toptrain wrote:       (Click here for original message)
** Something to think about !
* I wonder if the outside façade of the head-house is a afterthought. Maybe the original station head-house added to the train-shed was just to plain and the columned exterior façade added later to hide the plainness of the terminal.  

I think that was the case, but it is probably not likely that there is any concrete evidence left of it.  

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

1st_terminal_NJRR_c.jpg - 85134 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Feb 5th, 2016, 9:28pm »

** Henry, I wish it wasn't.

*** Here I have found a place to put my sketch of the Hudson street view of the 1st terminal's passenger entrance. It was quite a place. As seen by patrons departing the ferry terminal before crossing Hudson street to board their train.

Frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/1st_terminal_NJRR_c.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2016, 9:27am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

stencle_headliner_for_wood.jpg - 51971 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21st, 2016, 8:44pm »

* Now About the Book "Indian Trails to Iron Horses". If I were to publish a opinion of this in relation to what I am trying to discover from historic references it would be one of a negative nature. In looking for real nuts and bolts information on the Jersey City terminal. I can say that of all the info I have now after reading this book, nothing has been added to my info.  

* There are three useful views I have located and none other. The first view I seen was the one on the upper portion of the page 179 in "From the Hills to the Hudson" . A Historic information book on the Patterson Hudson River Railroad. The only reason it was found there, is that the P&HRRR used this terminal along with the N.J.R.R.&T.Co. once the temporary track was laid to allow for passenger cars access to this train shed terminal on Hudson Street and the ferry. The 1834 drawing as I see it, is a poor incomplete drawing of the train shed. As seen on a cloudy fogy day. What makes it useful is there is no other. It is stated in the third paragraph page 179, that the NJRR terminal opened in 1843. I Take that to mean that it was complete with Train shed and a head house, or a place set aside to get tickets and information. The head house was, I think built later on.

* The second view I found is on the same page directly under the first. The first view is from the south-west. This second view is from the north-west. The date of this view is 1848. 14 years after the first view.  Of the third view, only partial one, viewed from riverside (north-east) showing any detail, is from a 1848 map of Jersey City. These are all the views of this terminal that show anything of this first terminal in Jersey City. In compass heading only the south-east is missing. In quality so very much!

* I mentioned nut and bolts information looked for. Measurements of the footprint of the terminal, entire structure. Height of the terminal all locations.  Architectural measurements . complete plains of the building. These are the things I dont know. I also never found any reference to dates when things happened on this terminal.  

* (Edit addition 5-4-16) * Now taking the information on the block size out of paragraph 2, page 179, the block is 400 feet by 200 feet. This is the block purchased by the P&HRR. Taking visual note of the fact that the lot layout on this block, and the next block south where the NJRR&TCo. 1st terminal is the same and the block size the same. We now have a measurement to start with. Take the 200' length on the block along Hudson street. Note the there are 8 evenly spaced lots making up this 200 foot distance with each being a common 25 feet wide. Now the East West distance of 400 feet needs to be mathematically dissected.  Not a very hard thing to do. Each block is made up of 32 lots. Each lot is 25 feet wide and 100 feet deep. It works out perfectly. I now can work out the footprint of the train shed and head-house of this first railroad terminal of the New Jersey Railroad and Transportation Company. Yes with the information aviable no height measurements are aviable. Trust in the artist's rendition of the building and some more math will give us a average idea of the height of this train shed and its head-house.   
* Are there any draftsmen, mathematicians, or 3D person out there reading this who would like to contribute here and come up with a block drawing with building footprint measurements applied to the drawing. Then using the 1848 sketch showing the west end of the train shed with its three doors, come up with the height of the side walls and peak of the train shed.  
frank                
 I removed the photo of the pages from the book Hills to the Hudson as it may be copy righted. Had to replace it with something else to remove it.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (1150x339, 51971 bytes)

Click Here to View Image stencle_headliner_for_wood.jpg - 51971 Bytes

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2017, 6:53pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

NJRR_waterfront_1848-closeup.jpg - 192641 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 3:37pm »

** Any other information that turns up on this 1st railroad Terminal along the west bank of the Hudson River in Jersey City will be added to this post. I am leaving this as a future site for any new info. I will when the main Jersey City library reopens, visit again, and look for additional information on this Terminal. I have not yet searched the old newspapers of the time. The Jersey City Gazette was published from 1834 to 1837. The Jersey City Advertiser, which may be a continuation of the Gazette is listed as being published from 1835 to 1846. I am hoping to find some things on the NJRR&TCo. there. I do think that the Jersey City library has these publications.  
 frank

** Here is the enlarged drawing of the first terminal on the Hudson River's west bank in Jersey City, as seen on the City's street map, lower right hand corner. The terminal is seen from the Hudson River. This is a only view from the river, showing any detail of this terminal. If only another view, with real detail, were a viable. This terminal with its Greek or Roman colonnaded facade must have been very nice to have been actually seen.    
 frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/NJRR_waterfront_1848-closeup.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2017, 7:23pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

2-3.jpg - 63523 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 3:55pm »

***  Now for the Second terminal of the NJRR&T Co.
 This terminal was designed for the NJRR by one JOB Male. It was started in 1853 and complete in 1857. I found a quality drawing of the west face and south wall of this new terminal in a 1857 stock holders report.  
* This is the second terminal built in the same location as the first. The first post will show the title page of the 1857 report.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/2-3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

1-4.jpg - 101329 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 3:57pm »

Here is the view of the 2nd terminal as presented to the Stockholders in 1857. Here you see the terminal with its two story front, with five track entrances to the main central part of the east face of the building. The terminal view seen is facing west on Hudson street's east side. A north and a south tower give a look of much larger building. The towers and extensions seem to be built out from the main building But this isn't so. Only the towers add to the with of the terminal.  
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/1-4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2017, 1:24pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

8.jpg - 169965 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 4:11pm »

This next attachment will be of page 8 of the 1857 report which covers this new terminal. The next attachment is of page 9 because the terminal information extends on to this page. Other information there is on improvements to the Main Line.
 frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2016, 4:16pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

9.jpg - 167059 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 4:13pm »

This post is for the attachment of page 9 the continuation of the information on the 1857 terminal.
 frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/9.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Jersey City, Ist and 2nd terminal, NJRR, opened 1834.
  2_NJRR_2nd_terminal_1857.jpg - 111321 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 4:50pm »

A rare river view of the jersey City waterfront showing the new terminal in 1857. This view is from the east. The tower end of this terminal is on the west end on Hudson street.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/2_NJRR_2nd_terminal_1857.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2016, 7:48pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

jersey_city_about_1857_-_Copy.jpg - 111594 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Mar 24th, 2016, 2:34pm »

A additional drawing has been added to Reply 17 here of the first railroad terminal in Jersey City as seen from the east on Hudson Street. Not exact but close. This is reply 18. You need to go back to view drawing.
 This view is of a poor quality but the only view of this terminal I have found. This is odd because of the growing use of cameras at this time. This is a view after 1857. This 2nd terminal was here into and through the civil war. didn't anyone tale a picture of this terminal?
 frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Stations/jersey_city_about_1857_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2016, 9:44am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Apr 1st, 2016, 10:22am »

* Well what is missing from this 2nd terminal is a  view of the east side on this terminal. As a matter of fact there is no detailed view of this east end of the second railroad terminal that I have found anywhere. Only river views showing the old ferry terminal blocking any view of the east end of this second terminal.  
* How can a major terminal opened in 1857, used till the NJRR merges with the Camden and Amboy in 1867, then they merge with the PRR. The PRR replaces this terminal in 1873. So from 1857 to 1873 no photographs or drawings were made of this terminal. At least a 10 million people came through this terminal during that time period. It is just Impossible !  Where are the views.
* Well, we will see what I find at the Jersey City Library when I get here again. From what i know it has not reopened yet.
frank

« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2017, 7:45pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »