Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 25th, 2017, 3:56am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Washington DC (Union Station) (rshsdepot)
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Stations
(Moderators: Henry, MNRAIL)
   Washington DC (Union Station) (rshsdepot)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Washington DC (Union Station) (rshsdepot)  (Read 423 times)
Henry
Historian
Washington, DC (Union Station) (rshsdepot)

« Reply #20 on: Jul 25th, 2012, 1:17pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 07:13:06 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Washington, DC (Union Station) (rshsdepot)

Amtrak
to Propose $7 Billion Overhaul at Union Station

Link to article in The Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/amtrak-to-propose-7-billion-overhaul-at-union-station/2012/07/24/gJQApGwi7W_story.html

Bernie Wagenblast

=================================
The Railroad Station Historical Society maintains a database of existing
railroad structures at: http://www.rrshs.org

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Washington DC (Union Station) (rshsdepot)

« Reply #21 on: Jul 26th, 2012, 5:18pm »

Ummm - my bet is it won't happen, and if it does it will come in late and massively over budget.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Jul 27th, 2012, 2:35pm »

Clyde - Henry - All -

Exactly how to say this, so all don't go away mad? See the graphic of what is proposed. That design isn't exactly in line with  
much of the "Glories Of Rome" styles in nearby buildings. The proposed "Krystallpalast" could fit in fine in, say, Stuttgart or  
Bucharest.

Besides, the "basis, justification and need" statement is, at best, fanciful. OK. For years now the rider count has been hyped  
by all the more intense suburban trains. All the riders are not riding at full cost fares. Guess who pays the difference for the  
purely DC Commute problems?

The level of suggested funding is beyond all belief! For the amount, the US could surely support several "needy nations".

..........................Vern.....................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
TAB
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Jul 28th, 2012, 12:16am »

…..while I much prefer the railroads as I remember them growing up in the 1950s and 60s and while I have come to accept rapid change, the proposed structure illustrated in Reply #6 is in my opinion, a tasteless, architectural sacrilege that rejects any ties to the significant history of railroading in this country….gag…it’s nothing more than a flamboyant bus shelter….sad!...….Tom

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
Henry
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Jul 28th, 2012, 7:58am »

I agree with everything said. When I visited Union Station a couple of decades a go I was less than impressed with the shopping mall station setup they had there. None of the contests to spend taxpayer money that has appeared in the past decade appeals to me.

Henry

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Jul 28th, 2012, 8:50am »

A P B ---

THANKS, GUYS! I didn't think it was just me. I suspect there is some sort of "old boys club" or cabal amongst these designing architects  
and planners. The latest graphic in the proposal appears along lines of some sort of "Internationalist Moderne" style, which can be dropped in  
anywhere, anytime. Rather like the predictability of fast food and big box stores.

Note, and search out the stories, we see much the same design in process of build now in San Francisco. Replacing the former "Trans-Bay  
Terminal". Note the PTB started very happily trashing the Downtown scene with nondescript and bland high rises back in the 1960s.

With Washington, on the record there are statements the present Union Station only reached highest rider 'flow' during World War II. That is  
not necessarily same as total capacity. Makes me wonder about the convoluted new proposal. Is it saying present operations force not  
prepared to keep up the pace of the 'old timers" in best ways to run the Terminal?

For the curious and ambitious with some time: Run a flow chart and schedules timeline for the day on present operations. Where are the  
problems in doing it with original design capacity? (I can't figure it. I don't claim to be the best operating man, either.)

...........................Vern......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Jul 28th, 2012, 7:47pm »

I have trouble finding polite words for the various crimes that have been committed in the name of "modernizing" Washington Union Station.  The National Visitors Center mess created at the time of the Bi-centennial was the start of the downhill slide.  The waiting room was turned into an exhibit hall and the concourse into a waiting room.  Placing the Metro station under the west end was not a bad idea, but losing the west side 6 platform tracks and three throat tracks to WMATA was a bad idea.  These were the non-electrified tracks used by the B&O, which by that time was out of the passenger business except for the commuter trains, but still wire can be strung or taken down as needed.  

If the waiting room became a proper waiting room again that would be the start of getting thing back to right.  As has been said, they managed to handle much larger passenger flows in the 1940's than now.  Also, most passengers through there today are commuter or short haul with little or no luggage, comparted to large numbers of passengers to everywhere in that time frame, with all parts of the handling of reservations, etc. being much more labor intensive than now.  

I see the "insufficient capacity" as being  primarily an excuse to create some form of urban development.

Henry
Historian
Washington, DC Union Station

« Reply #27 on: Aug 3rd, 2012, 8:39am »

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 20:53:02 -0400
Subject: More on Union Station, Washington, DC: Lawmakers Frown On Union Station Plan's Cost (rshsdepot)

More on Union Station, Washington, DC:

Lawmakers Frown On Union Station Plan's Cost

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/union-station-dc-upgrade_n_1732812.html

Josh Stull
Nicholson, PA
www.nicholsonstation.org

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Washington, DC Union Station

« Reply #28 on: Aug 3rd, 2012, 3:00pm »

on Aug 3rd, 2012, 8:39am, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 20:53:02 -0400
Subject: More on Union Station, Washington, DC: Lawmakers Frown On Union Station Plan's Cost (rshsdepot)

Lawmakers frown on Union Station plan's cost

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/02/union-station-dc-upgrade_n_1732812.html

Josh Stull
Nicholson, PA
www.nicholsonstation.org

I can't say I really blame them - it does look excessive. In several ways. Also somewhat ill-planned.

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2012, 3:01pm by ClydeDET » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Aug 3rd, 2012, 3:17pm »

Clyde -

Let's put it like this. You have background and experience in presenting clear and logical presentations.  

There are some - shall we say - suspicious and possibly manufactured "facts" about projected, in the future, ridership numbers.  
Also note, why $7B of our money ought to go into a glorified commuter stop is beyond me (and certainly others, albeit I don't  
speak for them)...

Oh, did you note how much per item loss on every sale of a Ham And Cheese Sandwich? A can of Coke-Coley?

..........................Vern.....................

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Aug 3rd, 2012, 9:05pm »

Yes, I did notice those numbers, Vern. Not sure i believe them, though. Could be more, could be less, have to consider the sources. Would require an independent audit by an autside firm using generally accepted accounting principles before i would trust any of the numbers

Henry
Historian
Union Station, Washington, DC (rshsdepot)

« Reply #31 on: Aug 5th, 2012, 1:34pm »

Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 09:36:08 -0400
Subject: More on Union Station, Washington, DC: Report: Developments could threaten Union Station's historic character (rshsdepot)

Report: Developments could threaten Union Station's historic character

http://washingtonexaminer.com/report-developments-could-threaten-union-stations-historic-character/article/2503976

Josh Stull
Nicholson, PA
www.nicholsonstation.org

CNJ
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: (rshsdepot) Washington, DC (Union Station)

« Reply #32 on: Aug 10th, 2012, 1:22pm »

This editorial was in today's Washington Times:

EDITORIAL: Monumental waste
Time to derail Amtrak’s $7.5 billion Union Station face-lift

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/7/monumental-waste/

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Aug 10th, 2012, 1:54pm »

CNJ -  

SIGH! I wish this would all just go away! The WASHINGTON TIMES writer didn't do the research to document we are  
talking about an overly costly Commuter Station! The present - and presumably future - actual AMTK schedules minor  
players in all of it.

.........................Vern........................

Henry
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Nov 23rd, 2012, 10:45am »

Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 08:20:58 -0500 (EST)

Amtrak
Not Keen on Digging Holes in Union Station's Main Hall

Link to blog on DCist:

http://dcist.com/2012/11/giant_holes_in_main_hall_not_popula.php

Bernie Wagenblast

www.bwcommunications.net

Henry
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Feb 26th, 2013, 10:37am »

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 10:27:51 -0500 (EST)

DC's Union Station Continues to Be Restored Post-Earthquake

Link to article on Digital Journal:

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/344269

Bernie Wagenblast

www.bwcommunications.net

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #36 on: Feb 26th, 2013, 5:16pm »

My first visit to Washington DC Union Station was in 1966. It was a bit tatty and worn but still what it had been in arrangment. It should have been cleaned up, spiffed up and otherwise left alone. I saw it butchered for a "visitor Center" that worked poorly if at all, and that was really a mistake. Haven't seen it since, except pictures. It is better than in the Visitor Center days, as best i can tell.

The proposed $7 billion addition/make-over/remodel impresses me greatly. in a VERY negative way. I can't think of ANY part of it i approve of. They should make me the Czar for Amtrak railroad stations. Sole autocrat who can rule on such proposals by un-appealable ukase. Enforced by Cossak executioners with knouts for architects/planners who aggravate me by such things as this.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Feb 26th, 2013, 7:50pm »

Clyde - All -  

Noted yours, and concur. I commuted daily, in and out of Washington Union, about five years before. It was fairly well kept.  
Once out of the Main Hall, the actual Train area was a bit worse for wear, and walls, ceilings a bit dark with accumulated  
grime. But, it was kept clean and in good order...

In the era, of course, I rode both P R R, B & O, and occasionally to and from the South. Though we have no control over it,  
change is inexorable. We get no assurance any of it is for the better, I've observed...

......................Vern.....................

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Feb 26th, 2013, 8:05pm »

I was Washington Union Station in 1969, and a few more times between then and the pre-Visitor center time.  As noted, it was somewhat the worse for wear but the main thing it needed was a good cleaning and deailing with arrears in maintenance.  

I saw it post visitors center and can't remember a whole lot about what it looked like, and don't want to.  

I saw it back in the first week of January.  The open space sense that wa is gone completely.  "Gussied Up" is the best term I can come up with.  Lots of frills added mostly detracting from what it should be.   Yes, lots of shops and things that are handy, a lot that they would be as well of without, and the areas for people crampted and facilities truly catering to rail passengers unhandy.  

In all, I had a very negative impression of what has been done so far.  Whoever came up with the plan of what is there now appears to have had little to no concept of what a proper major railroad station should be.

Henry
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Feb 26th, 2013, 10:38pm »

I have only been there once, back in 1992. I was disappointed with what had been done to it. It didn't have that grand gateway to a city feel that it should have.

Henry

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »