Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 24th, 2018, 12:02pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Southern's Proposed Line to Stevenson, AL
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   The Southern Railway
(Moderators: electro soundwave, Southern Green)
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Southern's Proposed Line to Stevenson, AL  (Read 79 times)
Royal_Palm
Railfan

« on: Jan 1st, 2018, 4:33pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2014/12/10/285293/Chattanooga-Railroad-Series-The.aspx

Over a century ago, Southern planned to build its own line between Stevenson, AL and Chattanooga, forsaking traffic rights over the NC&STL. Quite a bit of work was done (including an 1100' tunnel) but a tough financial stretch in 1909 doomed the project. This is not the same tunnel as the one through Lookout Mountain.

There are seven parts to this tale on the Stevenson proposal. The author did quite a bit of research on Chattanooga rail history. There is something on every line into the city under "Chattanooga-Railroad-Series". I grew up in Chattanooga, but never heard a peep about this one.

George_Harris
Historian
Re: Southern's Proposed Line to Stevenson, AL

« Reply #1 on: Jan 1st, 2018, 10:52pm »

Most interesting!  When I was in college a guy there told me that there was a set of piers in the Tennessee River for a new railroad bridge in this section of river, but not the exact location.  I had assumed that it was to be a new bridge at a new location to replace the existing river crossing at Bridgeport AL, or even more likely to be one for a new alignment of the NC&StL to go up parallel to US41 (now I-24) then into a tunnel under Monteagle Mountain, that would be about 4 miles long.  Since that alignment would cut about 20 miles off the line via Stevenson AL plus reduce the elevation below that of the tunnel at Cowan,it would have, and might still make good sense.

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2018, 10:53pm by George_Harris » Logged
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jan 1st, 2018, 11:10pm »

Royal Palm:  By the way, nice to see you back after a 3 1/2 year gap!!!!!!!!!!!

Royal_Palm
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Jan 2nd, 2018, 7:45am »

George, I have read the forum from time to time, but just had nothing to add. The number of posts seem to have dropped considerably. Let's face it, there are a lot less of us now that remember the CGW and TAG, or even rode a train pre-Amtrak.

I retired in 2016, and have been working on the Bucket List since then.  

Maybe I will bite the bullet and get a sleeper on the Empire Builder this year; I have never been to Portland, Seattle, or Vancouver.

darktown2
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 2nd, 2018, 9:19am »

Royal_Palm;  Take the trip. My wife and I did it a few years ago. It was very nice and it was good to see all the railroad they were adding along the route. We rode to Spokane then explored Washington and got the return trip out of Everett.  I would highly advise getting a room.
   Only problem was on the return trip, we were 8 hours late coming into Chicago. Almost missed the connection to Syracuse.  
   It was a nice ride and the food was good. Keith

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »