Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 6:37am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

UP Signals
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Signals
(Moderator: NJ Railfan)
   UP Signals
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: UP Signals  (Read 103 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

UP Signals

« on: May 19th, 2013, 10:49pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Either I haven't been paying attention or there has been a change in the signals on the line from Shreveport to Houston (UP, ex-SP/HE&WT).

I would have sworn that the signals were just the "usual" single lens searchlight, but drove  over a crossing with the signal right by it. Round target, check. THREE lights, in a inverted triangle, one at bottom, two spread across above. Showing green at the upper right position.  

Any guidance as to what displays to be expected from one like that, and meanings of the indications?

k5sss
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: UP Signals

« Reply #1 on: May 24th, 2013, 9:51am »

Triangular color light signals combine the compactness of searchlight signals with the reliability and modularity of vertical color light signals.  The aspects and indications for all three are identical, which makes sense since it's not possible to distinguish between them at a distance anyway, especially at night.

UP and BNSF replace individual searchlight signals with color light signals when the former experience a mechanical failure, so it's common to see a mixture on the same line, though I've never seen a mixture on the same mast.  UP seems to prefer triangular while BNSF seems to prefer vertical, at least in my area, but counter-examples can be easily found on both.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: UP Signals

« Reply #2 on: May 24th, 2013, 9:16pm »

Well, no mixture of types on the mast - just the single target with the three lenses in it in a triangle, two over one.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »