Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 6:37am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

tri-light signals
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Signals
(Moderator: NJ Railfan)
   tri-light signals
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: tri-light signals  (Read 179 times)
manheim_rails
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

tri-light signals

« on: Sep 9th, 2011, 3:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

For the time being I will be spending alot of time on the NS Mon Line. I was doing some research but I just cant find what Im looking for. There is a signal on the Mon Line down the street from my house and it is what I believe is a tri-light signal. It is 3 lights in a upside down triangle. Then there is a signal below it which has just 2 lights. If its a single track line, what is the purpose of the lower signal? Why does it need 2 for one direction? By the way its only for southbounds. The northbound signal has just one.

For example earlier today I saw the top signal was yellow and the bottom signal green. (Most of the time the bottom is red) What would this mean? Any information is greatly apprieciated. Thank you.

Check out my site at

http://lititzsecondary.webs.com/
k5sss
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: tri-light signals

« Reply #1 on: Nov 6th, 2011, 11:45am »

There are two main classifications of US signal aspects: route and speed.

Route signals (usually used by Western RRs) indicate which way the train will go at an interlocking; it is up to the engineer to know (from the timetable) the speed limit of the route indicated.  Multi-head signals are required at interlockings but can be found on single-track lines as well.

Speed signals (usually used by Eastern RRs) indicate the speed limit of the route ahead.  They do not indicate the route to be taken at an interlocking, but the engineer can often deduce that from the speed and knowledge of possible/likely routes.

NS uses speed signals.  A yellow-over-green aspect indicates "Approach Medium", which means a Medium-speed route is available for at least two blocks.  That is likely to be found in advance of an interlocking with a Medium-speed route selected but theoretically could appear anywhere.

photoman475
Historian
Re: tri-light signals

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12th, 2011, 8:47pm »

The upside down triangle you describe was known at one time as a Type G on some railroads.  There's none around here in the Fargo-Moorhead area on a railroad, but the Fargo school district has installed a few for protecting kids at street crossings!

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »