Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 6:32am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Signals
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Signals
(Moderator: NJ Railfan)
   Signals
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Signals  (Read 231 times)
enzio
Railfan
Signals

« on: Apr 8th, 2010, 6:26am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Would anyone out there happen to know where I can buy either a crossbuck (preferably without the gate) and or a wig wag signal?  I would like to decorate my front lawn with all sorts of railroadiana.
Thanks in advance.

Stephen R. Gargiulo
ehbowen
Railfan
Re: Signals

« Reply #1 on: Oct 18th, 2010, 7:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I would think that a good railroad supply house would be able to supply a crossbuck sign, but if your budget is modest you will probably have to cultivate a friendship with the signal maintainers of your local class 1. You might also try looking at suppliers to the theme park industry; they may have half- and 5/8ths-scale signs which would be better suited to the scale of most backyards...a four-foot crossbuck can be a little overwhelming.

As far as the wigwag goes...good luck, you'll need it. There are probably fewer than four dozen of these obsolete signals still in use in the U.S., and the railroad companies know their value. I understand that standard practice is now for senior railroad managers in the region to take possession of these signals when they are retired, for "safekeeping." You might be able to come across one at an auction or an estate sale of a collector, but be prepared to shell out a minimum of a thousand dollars.

--------Eric H. Bowen

Now 200 classic timetables online, transcribed into machine-readable and searchable format:

Check it out here: Streamliner Schedules!

Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »