Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 6:32am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The single light
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Signals
(Moderator: NJ Railfan)
   The single light
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The single light  (Read 343 times)
donniebilson
Railfan
The single light
  norfolk_southern_signal_aspects.jpg - 72077 Bytes
« on: Apr 26th, 2009, 1:44pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Why is it signals sometimes have single red lights,(like the one in the picture),on their masts whats that for?

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (72077 bytes, 999x719 pixels)

Click Here to View Image norfolk_southern_signal_aspects.jpg - 72077 Bytes

At the crossing stop, look, listen, and live.
Check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/trainmandan05
k5sss
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: The single light

« Reply #1 on: Jun 26th, 2009, 5:19pm »

You may see an always-red light any time that (a) the signal will never display an aspect that needs any other color in that position, and (b) not having the red there would alter the meaning of one or more aspects the signal can display.  For instance, imagine a signal in NORAC-land that never displays anything other than Stop (red/red) or Restricting (red/yellow): the top head would have only a red light, and the bottom head would only have red and yellow lights; anything more is a waste of money.

electro soundwave
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27th, 2009, 11:53am »

I admit I'm confused here. I've never seen a signal mast like this, even though it looks to be a Southern signal. If it is a Southern signal then the red lights make the signal absolute.  

Under the Southern system there are two types of signal permissions. One is permissive where the bottom signals are to the lower left. You can usually find these before a crossover or other controlled switch. This means that you can roll through them if they're red, but you have to have dispatch permission to do so.  

If it's a red signal like the ones posted above, that means you had damn well do as that signal says, or else you're going to be answering to the Son Of Brosnan (which is really funny if you look at the initials)

SCL/L&N Family Lines
The Southern Serves The South
CG_Tower
Historian
  csxt_q375.jpg - 64934 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30th, 2009, 11:12am »

This mast arrangement is known as a bracket post and were quite common on the former Nickle Plate (which this line is). They were used at sidings where visibility could be obscured by a train parked on the siding. The B&O used a similar style (see photo).

The "single red" light serves two purposes. On the NKP signal it was a place holder per se in that you saw a uniform signal arrangement from a distance. Most of the time, the single red light is only found at interlockings where there is an "absolute" (or stop and stay) signal indication. Railroads varied on this use...but most railroads in the midwest had some sort of "two red" application at their interlockings.

CG Tower

on Jun 27th, 2009, 11:53am, electro soundwave wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I admit I'm confused here. I've never seen a signal mast like this, even though it looks to be a Southern signal. If it is a Southern signal then the red lights make the signal absolute.  

Under the Southern system there are two types of signal permissions. One is permissive where the bottom signals are to the lower left. You can usually find these before a crossover or other controlled switch. This means that you can roll through them if they're red, but you have to have dispatch permission to do so.  

If it's a red signal like the ones posted above, that means you had damn well do as that signal says, or else you're going to be answering to the Son Of Brosnan (which is really funny if you look at the initials)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Signals/csxt_q375.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CG Tower: http://www.cg-tower.com

Ronal_Fadillah_IRF
Chaser
View Profile  

I answer it

« Reply #4 on: Mar 7th, 2018, 7:16am »

Where it first? the under or below right-left

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »