Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 6:31am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Signal question
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Signals
(Moderator: NJ Railfan)
   Signal question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Signal question  (Read 318 times)
icsd701000
Railfan
Signal question

« on: May 14th, 2008, 5:32am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I have a question regarding Signals at a interlocker. This is the UP and CNIC Diamond at Sullivan, IL. Both Lines have Signal poles with the standard 3 lights on top. The UP has another set below them of 3 and the IC has another set below theres but they are a 2 signal set. My question is the bottom sets area always red no matter what. I have seen hundreds of trains go through this diamond and only the top set of lights change. What is the purpose of the bottom set of light?

IC Peoria sub railfan mp 97.5
limejuice
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Signal question

« Reply #1 on: May 14th, 2008, 12:02pm »

on May 14th, 2008, 5:32am, icsd701000 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have a question regarding Signals at a interlocker. This is the UP and CNIC Diamond at Sullivan, IL. Both Lines have Signal poles with the standard 3 lights on top. The UP has another set below them of 3 and the IC has another set below theres but they are a 2 signal set. My question is the bottom sets area always red no matter what. I have seen hundreds of trains go through this diamond and only the top set of lights change. What is the purpose of the bottom set of light?

While I'm in NORAC land, I think I can answer your questions. On the UP, it sounds like they have 4 block signaling in effect there, which provides an aspect of yellow over green (Approach Medium) in advance of a yellow or yellow over red aspect. (Approach) Because this is an interlocking, a red over yellow aspect (Restricting) may be displayed in the event that a track circuit has failed, or other equipment is standing within interlocking limits. This is what is referred to as a "call-on". It's like a "manual override". That red over yellow aspect will explain the 2-aspect bottom head on the IC, which probably displays yellow or red.

k5sss
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: May 24th, 2008, 1:15am »

on May 14th, 2008, 5:32am, icsd701000 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
My question is the bottom sets area always red no matter what. I have seen hundreds of trains go through this diamond and only the top set of lights change. What is the purpose of the bottom set of light?

On UP, a red on the lower head is always interpreted the same as if there were no lower head at all, IIRC.  However, there are some indications that require a second head.  For instance, UP and CNIC may not currently exchange traffic there so all trains are straight through -- but if that changed, they'd need the second head to indicate a diverging route.  There are a few other miscellaneous indications that also require a second head, though they tend to be rare and probably only happen when you're not looking

streamline_j3
Chaser

« Reply #3 on: May 26th, 2008, 9:39am »

Hereis another signel question .
   I was crossing the two track main on the New York state csx line and saw a single flashing red light on the signal tower that has four lights on it two for eastbound and two for westbound traffic.
  I was wondering what the single red flashing signai means.
  Will check my printed copy of signal asspects Igot from the NORAC site.

k5sss
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jun 5th, 2008, 1:38pm »

I don't see flashing red in the list of CSX signal aspects, but some other RRs often use flashing red to mean the same as a solid lunar white, i.e. Restricting.  Would that have made sense in the scenario you saw?

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »