Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 6:23am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

CPL's Going,Going, Gone
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Signals
(Moderator: NJ Railfan)
   CPL's Going,Going, Gone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: CPL's Going,Going, Gone  (Read 347 times)
Mark_Foster
Historian
CPL's Going,Going, Gone

« on: Nov 18th, 2004, 5:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

CPL's have signalled the Chicago - St.Louis line since the Alton was a ward of the B&O. They have served well FIVE different railroads, the Chicago & Alton, the GM&O, the Illinois Central Gulf, the Southern Pacific and today the Union Pacific. North of Bloomington the CPL's are gone having been replaced by UP long hooded, color light
signals. Except at turnouts, these are mounted back to back on a single short mast. In many places the old cantilever signal bridges are still in place but the CPL's that were once mounted on them are all gone.

South of Bloomington the CPL's are still in service, but not for long. New color light signals are in place alongside each CPL. The new signals have not yet been activated and are presently turned at right angles to the track. Obviously it won't be long before all CPL's will be only a memory on this line.

The grade crossing protection on this line is outstanding. Most crossings are protected by flashing signals and 4 gates. Even one lane gravel rural road crossings have flashing signals and two gates. While this is the route of the several Chicago - St. Louis Amtrak trains this level of crossing protection seems excessive. I can't imagine either Amtrak or the railroads (ICG, SP, or UP) footing the bill. Perhaps the state of Illinois mandated and paid for the crossing protection.

zwsplac
Historian
Re: CPL's Going,Going, Gone

« Reply #1 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 7:26pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm surprised they lasted till now even. I drove by them last August, and it looked like everything was set for the new signals to be put into service. As for the crossing gates, I believe that this line is a candidate for some High-Speed passenger service in the future, similar to Amtraks line through Niles, Michigan. There was an article in Trains about it a few years back.

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »