Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 6:30am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

B&O CPL's
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Signals
(Moderator: NJ Railfan)
   B&O CPL's
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: B&O CPL's  (Read 1583 times)
signalman
TRAINing
B&O CPL's

« on: Dec 19th, 2003, 11:58am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I've heard from several sources over time that the top and bottom center and left markers on the B&O CPL's were white lamps while the two lamp indication for restricting on the main head were lunar..   Is there any thing to this or were they all lunar or all white?

Looking at B&O and NORAC rule books, the depictions of aspects using markers show a white circle as opposed to a gray/white circle for the restricting diagonal on the main head lamps.

Regards,
Hank

Doug_Oaks
TRAINing
Re: B&O CPL's

« Reply #1 on: Dec 22nd, 2003, 11:05am »

Hank,
You are correct. The markers are white and the upper left- lower right in the main signal head are lunar.
As a point of interest(or maybe not), there are three types of PL's on the ex-B&O or GM&O lines. The most common is the GRS model with round backs on the light units. Less common are the early ones which may be Hall or US&S(US&S bought Hall), indentified by short flat backs on the light units. Also not common are the more modern US&S models with a sloped back on the light units. All appear the same from the front.

Chessie7549
TRAINing

« Reply #2 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 11:03pm »

Hank,  
     There is a difference in the color of the lunar white lights on the main mask and the white marker lights.  The lunar lights have a blue filter and produce a ghostly white color.  The marker lights above and below the main head do not use the blue filters.  They have more of a cream like incandescent light color.  Seems minor, but very noticable.  I guess thats why the differentiated in the rule book.  

Greg McCartney

CG_Tower
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2003, 11:21pm »

on Dec 30th, 2003, 11:03pm, Chessie7549 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hank,  
     There is a difference in the color of the lunar white lights on the main mask and the white marker lights.  The lunar lights have a blue filter and produce a ghostly white color.  The marker lights above and below the main head do not use the blue filters.  They have more of a cream like incandescent light color.  Seems minor, but very noticable.  I guess thats why the differentiated in the rule book.  

Greg McCartney

Actually they are not filters per se, but glass lenses that appear blue upon sight, but when one shines a white light through them, they give off the ghostly (good term) hugh that you you described.

Very noticible indeed! Standing on a clear dark night one can see the high green indication for the siding at Ottawa nearly 6 miles away...the lunar display, also visible on this signal, is equally as striking.

Hank, if you get a chance, check out my CPL signal site, I am still working on it but there may be some info there that is helpful to you.

Eric

CG Tower

« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2003, 11:24pm by CG_Tower » Logged

CG Tower: http://www.cg-tower.com

Chessie7549
TRAINing

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31st, 2003, 1:15pm »

Hank, would you happen to be the fellow who made the B&O CPLs for MSTS?  If so, great work!  I hope you don't mind, but I made a modification to the color of the white marker lights to give them the correct color on a route I downloaded from Trainsim site.  I did not distribute the change to anyone.

Greg McCartney

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jan 1st, 2004, 8:25pm »

on Dec 31st, 2003, 1:15pm, Chessie7549 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hank, would you happen to be the fellow who made the B&O CPLs for MSTS?  If so, great work!  I hope you don't mind, but I made a modification to the color of the white marker lights to give them the correct color on a route I downloaded from Trainsim site.  I did not distribute the change to anyone.

Greg McCartney
Would you mind posting a screan shot that shows your signals?  I sure would like to see it.  
CHESSIEMIKE  

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
signalman
TRAINing
  ApproachLighting5.jpg - 61908 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Jan 1st, 2004, 11:33pm »

Thank you all for the CPL info.  Here's a screen cap of some lower Quadrant semaphores I made for the MS train sim....

I post some other styles soon.

Hank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Signals/ApproachLighting5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2004, 11:34pm by signalman » Logged
signalman
TRAINing
  SL_Signals.jpg - 38807 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Jan 2nd, 2004, 11:51am »

Here's some MSTS constructs for searchlight, colorlight and positionlight styles......

Hank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Signals/SL_Signals.jpg
Click Image to Resize

signalman
TRAINing
  MSTS_Signals1.jpg - 34358 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Jan 2nd, 2004, 11:52am »

Next....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Signals/MSTS_Signals1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

signalman
TRAINing
  MSTS_Signals2.jpg - 48504 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Jan 2nd, 2004, 11:53am »

Next....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Signals/MSTS_Signals2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

signalman
TRAINing
  MSTS_Signals3.jpg - 33511 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Jan 2nd, 2004, 11:54am »

Last.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Signals/MSTS_Signals3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

signalman
TRAINing
  MSTS_cpl1.jpg - 34883 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:53am »

Here's the B&O color positionlight style for MSTrainSim.  The absolute version has the ability to show any of the six markers.  I've also made the dwarf to show any of the marker arms, also.

Hank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Signals/MSTS_cpl1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Jan 3rd, 2004, 12:22pm »

Nice work Hank!  Very  
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
CG_Tower
Historian
  dwarf12lightfront.jpg - 97659 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: Jan 7th, 2004, 4:11pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2004, 11:53am, signalman wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here's the B&O color positionlight style for MSTrainSim.  The absolute version has the ability to show any of the six markers.  I've also made the dwarf to show any of the marker arms, also.

Hank

Here is some inspiration:

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Signals/dwarf12lightfront.jpg
Click Image to Resize

MH765
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Feb 10th, 2004, 6:32pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2004, 11:51am, signalman wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here's some MSTS constructs for searchlight, colorlight and positionlight styles......

Hank

Reminds me of the old P&LE Signals

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
eacsxt
Enthusiast

« Reply #15 on: Jun 19th, 2004, 5:53pm »

Some of the marker lights can also display yellow. A yellow marker light on the top right in combination with a green position light is an approach slow indication. A yellow marker light in the lower right in combination with a green position light is a medium approach slow indication.

Passenger_Extra
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Jun 29th, 2004, 7:09pm »

on Dec 19th, 2003, 11:58am, signalman wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I've heard from several sources over time that the top and bottom center and left markers on the B&O CPL's were white lamps while the two lamp indication for restricting on the main head were lunar..   Is there any thing to this or were they all lunar or all white?

Looking at B&O and NORAC rule books, the depictions of aspects using markers show a white circle as opposed to a gray/white circle for the restricting diagonal on the main head lamps.

Regards,
Hank

The lunar lights on the main head, as well as those little triangles were late adaptions.   For years a right or left lunar green,  or  lunar yellow was the indication for diverging and diverging restricted on the B&O depending on the particular interlocking alignment.   Center lunar green of course was a clear board or high green.

The difference between lunar and white is that the purple/blue filter on a lunar when illuminated by a headlight will reflect back as a pure white light.  

The letter P indicated a distant signal and the G indicated a grade signal, per the usual definition.

Not good on trains 1, 2, 5, 6, 25 & 26 west of Washington D.C. and trains 27 & 28.
CG_Tower
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Jul 11th, 2004, 9:40pm »

The lunar lights on the main head, as well as those little triangles were late adaptions.   For years a right or left lunar green,  or  lunar yellow was the indication for diverging and diverging restricted on the B&O depending on the particular interlocking alignment.   Center lunar green of course was a clear board or high green.

The difference between lunar and white is that the purple/blue filter on a lunar when illuminated by a headlight will reflect back as a pure white light.  

The letter P indicated a distant signal and the G indicated a grade signal, per the usual definition.

[/quote]

Actually, the headlight had nothing to do with the lunar white indication. The lense of the lunar white indication was actually blue, and when illuminated would glow blue-white, similar to the color of the moon on a clear night (hence the name "lunar white"). These signals are not pure white and when seen next to a white maker, you can see the difference. I will try to dig up a photo to show the difference.

CG

slwapprslw
TRAINing

« Reply #18 on: Aug 16th, 2004, 9:40am »

Actually, the pilot lights usually have a Clear lense. I've seen a few to know first hand.

On some occasions, signal maintainers have been known to interchange the Lunar White and Clear lenses between the main head and the pilot lights. This causes much confusion on the proper white color.  

The general rule is: Clear for pilot and Lunar White on the main head.

Cass Telles  
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
Railroads of NW Ohio
http://www.trainweb.org/rrnwoh

Cass Telles - Webmaster
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
Railroads of NW Ohio
www.trainweb.org/rrnwoh
Reading2124
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 11:42pm »

Can you send me the site where you got this an can you send me som screen shots from gradecrossings.Railroad Crossings ECT
     Thanks RDG2124

O scale READING WEAVER CRUSADER FOR SALE...ENGINE #118 (4-6-2) streamlined engine and cars (5) 900 $...private message for more details

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »