Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 6:30am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Ever see one of these?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Signals
(Moderator: NJ Railfan)
   Ever see one of these?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Ever see one of these?  (Read 3281 times)
glennk419
Railfan
Re: Ever see one of these?
  Ardsley_No_Turn_500x300.jpg - 46571 Bytes
« Reply #40 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 2:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Sep 30th, 2004, 1:20am, glennk419 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There's several of them along the ex-Reading Bethlehem branch (Septa R5 & beyond)...Gywnyd, Lansdale and Perkasie that I recall. The ones at Coopersburg and Telford  were knocked down about 5 years ago. There also used to be a couple along the Newtown Branch at Huntingdon Valley and Churchville but they're long gone with just about everything else along that route. There's also still one at Philmont along the R3. A slight variation exists at a couple crossings that have traffic lights nearby with signs on the traffic poles displaying  "No Right Turn" or a right turn arrow with a red bar across it when the railroad crossing is activated. One example of this is at Jenkintown and EdgeHill Roads by the Ardsley train station on the R2. I'll try to get a picture.

Better late than never.....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Signals/Ardsley_No_Turn_500x300.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Glenn
jehovahgodofgaps
TRAINing
  0327071448.jpg - 279250 Bytes
« Reply #41 on: Jul 25th, 2007, 11:30pm »

These light you are talking about are called preemption devices at least that is what they are called on my CS-1 form the older style light works off the the flasher as the crossing flashers the signs that flash with a arrow usely above the road are not maintained by me at my crossing. But by who every is responsible for the traffic lights in the town/road they give use 120 ac when out crossing activates we cut the 120vac they gave us and it will make the sign flash.  There are 2 other preemption devices i didn't see brought up in post. Red lights that are turned red when a crossing is activated by a train and fold out signs. At one crossing i have work on when the crossing is activated it will turn the traffic light red by cuting the ac they feed us and loop back to them selfs my fold out no left/right turn signs work the same way. When i first got my section the sign would just open and close the whole time it was activated and i had to find out whos baby it was so i could get it fixed since i have to sign my name ever month on my CS-1 form saying the crossing is working as intended.  We if you guys want to know anything about signals and crossing ill do my best answer you i am very new to railroad and i dont know everything yet but im learn a lot since i started maintaining

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (279250 bytes, 1280x960 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 0327071448.jpg - 279250 Bytes

donniebilson
Railfan

« Reply #42 on: Jul 26th, 2008, 9:00pm »

on Oct 7th, 2003, 2:29pm, chessie8212 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There is one of these located in Fostoria, OH near the B&O Station where the NS and CSX cross, but it says No Turn for both the right and left directions .  The station's parking lot is between the two lines, and when there is a train on the NS, the no right turn signal lights up, and when a train passes by on the CSX, the no left turn signal lights up.  A really neat signal if you ask me.  

You can see it in this photo right between the pick up truck and the locomotives.  The bottom light is the flashing red, and the next two upper lights are the right/left turn signals.
i talked to a csx employee he said it is supposed to come out.

At the crossing stop, look, listen, and live.
Check out my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/trainmandan05
Willie
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Oct 29th, 2008, 3:03pm »

If i'm not mistaken there are some of these "no right turn"/"no left turn" signals still operating in the DuBois, Pennsylvania area.  I have been there a few times and have them seen them operate.

Long live the ALCos
GP30_5513
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Apr 15th, 2009, 4:06pm »

The first time I saw one of these signals, I was driving along Route 61 out of Shamokin [enroute to Sunbury].  It was either in Sunnyside or just south of Paxinos and was presumably a 'No Right Turn' signal that was for the now abandoned line that runs on the right side of Rte 61 in those areas.

clifford1
Chaser

« Reply #45 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 10:55pm »

The signal in Gibraltar, PA that I posted about a while back has since been removed, most likely during a recent signal upgrade along the Turkey Path.  I believe the one a little closer to Birdsboro on Old River Road remains, although I have not confirmed.  More relics disappearing every day...

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »