Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 6:24am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Ever see one of these?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Signals
(Moderator: NJ Railfan)
   Ever see one of these?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Ever see one of these?  (Read 3280 times)
Charlie_O
Historian
Ever see one of these?
  no_right_turn.jpg - 80092 Bytes
« on: Jun 15th, 2003, 1:28am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Here's an odd little signal near my local Septa (formerly Reading) station crossing.  As you can see from the pic, it still performs a valuable function.  

Anyone know an approx age or manufacturer on this one?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Signals/no_right_turn.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

Re: Ever see one of these?

« Reply #1 on: Jun 15th, 2003, 5:27am »

Charlie -

Don't know who made your signal, or when, but there's a relatively new one on Basin Street in Allentown, at the intersection where Auburn (origin of the "Burn" in CP Burn) Street ducks down and crosses the tracks. It was put up about two years ago when traffic lights were (finally!) installed. I think the purpose is to encourage would-be right-turners to go straight ahead and use the Susquehanna Street bridge, rather than back things up waiting for slow-moving or stopped trains.

- Bob

« Last Edit: Jun 15th, 2003, 7:31am by trainwatcher1100 » Logged
NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15th, 2003, 5:16pm »

NJT's Pascack Valley Line is lined with these through Hackensack NJ.

Check out My Railroad Photos!

http://www.railroad-photography.com/

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
WMBL2
TRAINing

« Reply #3 on: Aug 6th, 2003, 11:32am »

I've seen a few here in  Md., on the WM most notably E of Gettysburg PA. (Rt 30), a few other places also.  Was one in Union Bridge Md. (WM-MMID) which might no longer exist.

NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Aug 6th, 2003, 12:22pm »

There probably made by US&S, but I'm just guessing.

Check out My Railroad Photos!

http://www.railroad-photography.com/

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
jrsd80mac
TRAINing

« Reply #5 on: Aug 25th, 2003, 10:18pm »

The basic purpose for this contraption is to keep drivers approaching on roadways parallel to the right-of-way from trying to turn right onto the grade crossing when the gates are down. Sort of a 90 degree crossing protection with flashing lights and a lighted "no right turn" sign.  These are located up and down SEPTA's ex-Reading commuter lines in Southeast Pa. This one happens to be on the R6 Norristown Line (somewhere between Manayunk and Conshohocken, I think).

Jeff

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Aug 25th, 2003, 10:29pm »

on Aug 25th, 2003, 10:18pm, jrsd80mac wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This one happens to be on the R6 Norristown Line (somewhere between Manayunk and Conshohocken, I think).

Very close.  East Falls.

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
w2dsx
Enthusiast

« Reply #7 on: Oct 5th, 2003, 1:43pm »

At least one on Long Island, at Malverne...

chessie8212
Historian
  NS8989.jpg - 42817 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Oct 7th, 2003, 2:29pm »

There is one of these located in Fostoria, OH near the B&O Station where the NS and CSX cross, but it says No Turn for both the right and left directions .  The station's parking lot is between the two lines, and when there is a train on the NS, the no right turn signal lights up, and when a train passes by on the CSX, the no left turn signal lights up.  A really neat signal if you ask me.  

You can see it in this photo right between the pick up truck and the locomotives.  The bottom light is the flashing red, and the next two upper lights are the right/left turn signals.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Signals/NS8989.jpg
Click Image to Resize

“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.”

Take only photos...
Leave only footprints.
MH765
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10th, 2004, 6:36pm »

One in Warminster off of Street Road. Only flashes for the NH&I.

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
spv_man
TRAINing

« Reply #10 on: May 23rd, 2004, 10:13pm »

Yup....All thru Belleville NJ, on the newark industrial track

glennk419
Railfan

« Reply #11 on: Sep 30th, 2004, 1:20am »

There's several of them along the ex-Reading Bethlehem branch (Septa R5 & beyond)...Gywnyd, Lansdale and Perkasie that I recall. The ones at Coopersburg and Telford  were knocked down about 5 years ago. There also used to be a couple along the Newtown Branch at Huntingdon Valley and Churchville but they're long gone with just about everything else along that route. There's also still one at Philmont along the R3. A slight variation exists at a couple crossings that have traffic lights nearby with signs on the traffic poles displaying  "No Right Turn" or a right turn arrow with a red bar across it when the railroad crossing is activated. One example of this is at Jenkintown and EdgeHill Roads by the Ardsley train station on the R2. I'll try to get a picture.

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2004, 8:20am by glennk419 » Logged

Glenn
Reading2124
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Dec 31st, 2004, 11:35pm »

The one down at perkasie still survives !!! Its there ! saw it in a railpace 2 months ago.
     RDG2124

O scale READING WEAVER CRUSADER FOR SALE...ENGINE #118 (4-6-2) streamlined engine and cars (5) 900 $...private message for more details

RN-16
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Jan 1st, 2005, 1:42pm »

There are a few of these signs located along the R&N especially in the Tamaqua Area. There are quite a few different varieties of them around here though. There are a few that flash red, yellow, and white. Some also say "No Left Turn" and "No Right Turn." These signs seem to be popular with the RDG as I have noticed them in other places also.

-Jeff

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Jan 3rd, 2005, 5:18am »

These things used to be a standard in the AREA Manual chapter on Railway Highway Crossings for use on roads paralleling a railroad at the point of intersection with a road crossing the railroad.   That part was removed a few years ago and replaced with a reference to the Uniform Manual of Traffic Control Devices, which does not show these things in its latest version.    

There used to be, and maybe still is, since it has been several years since I have dirven it, a whole series of these things along Riverside Drive in Memphis, Tennessee where it paralleled the IC main line at the foot of the Mississippi River bluff.  

There were also "No Left Turn" lighted signs hanging from the same overhead wire that held the traffic lights at these intersections.  When a train approached, the traffic lights flashed yellow for Riverside Drive, red for the intersecting streets, and the gates come down, and these lighted "No Right Turn" and "No Left Turn" signs started flashing.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Apr 14th, 2005, 3:50pm »

I've seen standard traffic lights coordinated with signals, too.  Here are two examples in the area of Rochester, NY:

1.  The Pixley Road crossing has a side street that parallels the CSX tracks.  The traffic light changes to red in advance of the actual crossing gate.

2.  The Brighton-Henriatta Townline Road has a crossing for the CSX West Shore Bypass and LAL mainline near the intersection of Jefferson Rd.  There are traffic lights at the crossing.  If a sensor detects that traffic is "backed up" then the traffic light at the crossing turns red so vehicles won't stop on the tracks.  This happens regardless of whether a train is coming or not.

« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2005, 7:07pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
ATF1224
Chaser
  123-2314_IMG.jpg - 158099 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: Apr 21st, 2005, 5:31pm »

There are a couple of these in Basset, Virginia on the Norfolk Southern Winston-Salem District.  They protect crossings going into the Bassett Furniture Plant.

Speaking of odd signals:

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Signals/123-2314_IMG.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2005, 5:32pm by ATF1224 » Logged

Jake Mensel
prostock19
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 1:02am »

on Apr 14th, 2005, 3:50pm, Matthew_Langworthy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I've seen standard traffic lights coordinated with signals, too.  Here are two examples in the area of Rochester, NY:

1.  The Pixley Road crossing has a side street that parallels the CSX tracks.  The traffic light changes to red in adavance of the actual crossing gate.

2.  The Brighton-Henriatta Townline Road has a crossing for the CSX West Shore Bypass and LAL mainline near the intersection of Jefferson Rd.  There are traffic lights at the crossing.  If a sensor detects that traffic is "backed up" then the traffic light at the crossing turns red so vehicles won't stop on the tracks.  This happens regardless of whether a train is coming or not.

That #2 crossing is right next to RIT/NTID.  Is that light new because I never noticed it in previous visits there.

How about the crossing on W. Henrietta.  There is a traffic light that changes when the train approaches.  There is also a 2 position traffic light for the train at each direction.  I should have taken pictures of it when I was there a few weeks ago (which I meant to do).

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 4:59am »

on Apr 21st, 2005, 5:31pm, ATF1224 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Speaking of odd signals:

Note the sign, "LIGHT OUT INDICATES APPROACHING TRAIN"

That is what you call the fail-safe method.  If a bulb burns out, then you look for a train.  

I have a feeling it would be hard to find this thing in the Uniform Manual of Traffic Control Devices.

George

glennk419
Railfan

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22nd, 2005, 1:41pm »

on Apr 21st, 2005, 5:31pm, ATF1224 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There are a couple of these in Basset, Virginia on the Norfolk Southern Winston-Salem District.  They protect crossings going into the Bassett Furniture Plant.

Speaking of odd signals:

Now we know what they did with all the retired position light signals. If you look closely, the signal lights are exactly what was used in PRR/N&W PL's.

Glenn
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »