Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 18th, 2017, 11:03am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Unadilla Valley Railway
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Salzberg Roads
(Moderator: pontiac59)
   Unadilla Valley Railway
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Unadilla Valley Railway  (Read 1125 times)
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Unadilla Valley Railway
  S_Edmeston_NY_2008.jpg - 83712 Bytes
« on: Sep 12th, 2010, 7:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I never realized that this was a Salzberg RR until recently, when I picked up a copy of "UV The life and times of a small railroad" by William S Young. I have visited the ROW on a few trips to upstate NY while also checking out what remains of the O&W. The Salzberg lines are interesting in that they had these very colorful GE 70 tonners running on questionable trackage that barely paid its way.  - Especially in the case of the UV.  

It's too bad that the UV couldn't make a go of it even with the O&W track that they picked up.  It would have been interesting if they had expanded by purchasing more O&W in 1957 and somehow survived to the 80's. Maybe the UV could have purchased the DL&W branch and connected with the NYS&W's Northern Division.  Nice to speculate.

A few of the stations still stand. This is South Edmeston NY. During salvage this was where the rails were gathered.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Salzberg/S_Edmeston_NY_2008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Unadilla Valley Railway
  S_EdmestonNY_2008.jpg - 74907 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23rd, 2010, 9:02pm »

Here is the other side

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Salzberg/S_EdmestonNY_2008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

SouthBendModel34
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26th, 2010, 9:26pm »

Is the station in Bridgewater, NY still standing?  

IIRC, it was a joint station at the junction of the UV and another RR.

I went by there circa 1980, at which time the station, which had no plumbing, was for sale for $15,000  The agent/operator's desk in the bay window area was still intact. I could see "shadows" and screw holes where telegraph & telephone equipment had been mounted. The former location of the telegraph key was especially discernable.  

John Ruth

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 1:04pm »

As far a I know it is still there. That was the junction between the UV and DL&W. It would have been great if the UV was able to purchase this line from the DL&W. Google the site "existing stations in NY" 15K? What a bargain!

uvrail
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19th, 2012, 10:31pm »

Edmeston, N.Y. station still stands but, is used for an oil delivery company. The interior has been stripped and the building is used to house trucks.

UVandWAGRRs
TRAINing
View Profile  

Unadilla Valley Railway

« Reply #5 on: Feb 20th, 2012, 2:09am »

In reply to the last couple of postings....

Yes, the Bridgewater, NY, DL&W & UV railroad Station does still exist, and is owned and occupied by the The Bridgewater Historical Society, who has refurbished and uses said building.
  The railroad Station had a successful open house on Fathers Day Sunday, June 19, 2011, 1-4pm, with over fifty people in attendance, including the author of the latest book on the Unadilla Valley Railway, William S. Young.

On the comment made of the UV "Making a go of it", there was more to that than a pipe dream.
  After the O&W went out of business in '57, it was only then 3 years till the UV's demise in November of 1960.  In that time Salzburg purchased 3 ex-O&W EMD NW-2's, (111, 112 &113), that showed up on the UV, and Stayed for a while in the UV yard in New Berlin.
  It was said that their was a plan to acquire the O&W trackage to Sidney,  adding service and a rail connection with the D&H, and back over the hill to Norwich, for a 2nd connection to the DL&W.  The 3 NW-2 units were to handle the operations for to old O&W section.  
  During this time though, the milk plants and feed stores were all quickly turning to truck service, and too, milk plants were consolidating and closing down. (the big milk plant in Mt Uption was gone before 1960 and had a huge impact on the end of the UV itself), so... if the earlier speculation was true, Salzburg came to their senses, as none of the expansion materialized at all.
  Something did happen in that time though, GE 70 tonner, UV# 200, the railroads only piece of motive power busted it's crankshaft, and was out of service for repairs.
  Ex-O&W NW-2 #113, was shopped, painted in the Salzburg colors of creme and orange, and put into service on the UV Ry until #200 was repaired.  The NW-2s were shipped off the property after that, photos show in the first book on the UV, "Days Along the Buckwheat & Dandelion, by Fred Pugh.

Now, the old Kraft plant in South Edmeston, NY has undergone some Big changes, and is now owned by Chobani.  Agro Farma makes Greek yogurt
there, and they are serving the whole eastern coast now, and the
building(s) have increased in size by at least 300%, with another building for storage erected on the South side of the road, bigger than the original Kraft plant, with an enclosed second story bridge connection.  The business is booming and the tractor trailers are in and out continually.
(Imagine if their was rail service in the Unadilla Valley now).  

The old South Edmeston railroad station, which is so nicely shown in NEFAN's previous post, was really getting crowded, to the point of demolition.  However, Chobani saw fit to see the historical value of this neat structure, and donated the building to the town of Columbus, which has a park site on the top of the hill to the West, less than 2 miles away.  
  It was a big move with jacking and towing dollies and trailers and etc..., but now the UV station is now safe and sound in Norton Park, between South Edmeston,NY, and Columbus, NY.  

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22nd, 2012, 5:17pm »

Thanks for the updates. Glad to hear S. Edmeston was saved. Since I am not sure when I will be back up that way, if you get a chance please post a photo of it in the new location.

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

South_Edmeston_NY_UV_2_816x612.jpg - 74356 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Sep 1st, 2014, 11:06am »

I was back in the area last month, so I made it a point to visit the relocated S. Edmeston station in Norton Park. It is always good to see a station saved.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Salzberg/South_Edmeston_NY_UV_2_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

South_Edmeston_NY_UV_816x612.jpg - 82425 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Sep 1st, 2014, 11:08am »

additional access created on the side by the ramp.  

I like the color combination.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Salzberg/South_Edmeston_NY_UV_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Leonardsville_NY_UV_816x612.jpg - 116319 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Sep 1st, 2014, 11:10am »

The UV Leonardsville NY station is also being refurbished. It was much longer at one time. This section is what remains.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Salzberg/Leonardsville_NY_UV_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Bridgewater_NY_DLW_2_816x612_1.jpg - 80611 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Sep 1st, 2014, 11:11am »

The combined UV / DL&W station at Bridgewater NY is also looking good these days.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Salzberg/Bridgewater_NY_DLW_2_816x612_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »