Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 19th, 2018, 7:52am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Safety of
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Rail Safety
(Moderators: prostock19, CP8673, , Pyronova, cn2220, BNSF_1088)
   Safety of
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Safety of  (Read 99 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Safety of

« on: Feb 17th, 2014, 8:50pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well, according to a news bite i heard this afternoon (on NPR's All Things Considered) CN and CP have decided to encourage the use of new, higher-resistant tankers on oil trains (and perhaps others hauling hazardous liquids). Need cars with the 2011 standards (domes insistent to opening, thicker steel, head shields) or you pay a significant surcharge, use economics to compell safety.

Of course this begs the question of where these newer, safer cars are gonna come from. The had an interview with somebody from a car builder, didn't catch which one, who said only about 10-15% of the available cars meet 2011 standards and it will be two years, minimum, before cars ordered right now can be delivered. Seems they are already all booked up and no surge capacity.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Safety of

« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2014, 4:50pm »

Troubling when one considers the current production capability of new rail cars in North America... As already stated most plants are at over 100% and orders are over a year out. In the meantime surcharges might motivate shippers to push for new cars etc but in the end this will only hurt consumers as these added costs will just be passed along to the consumer.  

As for production of cars, I personally know Trinity purchased then closed three car shops in the area i live in during the 90s. Plants are long gone and torn down so current production levels are about where they are going to be. I wonder how long it will be till we see imported cars in numbers coming from overseas?

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21st, 2014, 7:36pm »

What area was that, towny? And which plants were they?

My guess is it won't be soon as far as off-shore cars are concerned. The rest of the world doesn't build the same kind of cars we do, and gearing up to produce cars that meet DOT specs ain't gonna happen soon.

BNSF said they aren't waiting for any new standards, they are ordering 5K cars that meet highest current standards for oil and ethanol. of course they didn't say how long it was going to be before those cars came into service...

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2014, 2:51pm »

Good guess on when BNSF get the new cars. As some articles stated if they just placed the order we'll see them in 2016.  

The plants were in the Western PA area. The old Greenville shop, the old Pullman plant, they both closed the doors for good in the 1990s and pre Trinity the old Warren PA plant... I think they were making tank cars up till the late 70s-early 80s.. Lots of freight cars were produced just a few hours from here at one point, but then again a lot of steel was produced here once as well. Oh and a lot of GE locomotives were once made not too far away either. The wind of change never stops blowing...

But those are just a few of the many rail car producers around the nation that are long gone.

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »