Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 20th, 2018, 12:29am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Fairfield, CT
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Rail Safety
(Moderators: prostock19, CP8673, , Pyronova, cn2220, BNSF_1088)
   Fairfield, CT
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Fairfield, CT  (Read 120 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Fairfield, CT

« on: May 18th, 2013, 9:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Commuter wreck at Fairfield yesterday afternoon.  North-bound train out of Grand Central derailed, derailed cars got hit by south-bound. 250 on board the trains, 50 injured, apparently (praise God!) no fatalities.

NTSB comments from team indicate they found a fractured rail that is "of interest". May be wheel marks on the fractured surface if I understand the news bite.

HwyHaulier
Historian
Re: Fairfield, CT

« Reply #1 on: May 19th, 2013, 9:01am »

Clyde - All -  

Thanks for message here. Yeah, let's follow this one. Initial reports could not, of course, offer much explanation of possible cause.  
The "fractured rail" theory of the case is plausible. Whether the failure avoidable a related discussion. (I'll guess "GH" might be following this?)

Meanwhile, and so help me this was absurd! In a SA 18 MAY, early, "national feed" Radio News, an ignorant use of words, and remark  
of "aging railroad plant"! Gimme a break! This the AMTK NEC Main Line. This METRO NORTH with a fleet of shiny new, "state of the art" Cars.  

There has been so much money thrown at the old NEW HAVEN line in past four decades, it exceeds net worths of many Third World  
Nations! Sigh! Ignorant remarks are ignorant remarks!

...........................Vern............................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: May 19th, 2013, 6:22pm »

Well, later reports indicate about 700 on the trains (which fits rush-hour trains better) and 82 injured (46 at one hospital, 26 at another), most ""treated and released", indicative of injuries of a fairly minor nature. Praise God no fatalities.

Trains moving compass east (derailed train) and west (striking train), but timetable north and south, of course.

I noticed that aging comment. Meh. Understand they were busy hunting the northbound that passed the wreck site prior to the derailment.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #3 on: May 20th, 2013, 6:36pm »

So far I don't know enough to say anything.  There has been a lot of arm waving and running around in circles, but very little in the way of solid facts.  Looks to be in effect a head on sideswipe.  Looking at some aerial views, it appears that the track centers are really close.  I would say under 13 feet for sure, and possibly close to 12 feet.  There was broken rail, but nothing solid enough to say whether it was a cause or an effect.  Wheel marks on the side of the rail doesn't necessarily prove that it was the cause, as these could have been made by wheels following after the time of the breaking.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #4 on: May 21st, 2013, 6:06am »

George - Clyde - All -  

This a collateral point, but must note the obvious fairly close track centers thru the subject Station area. At this point, it is speculative  
to wonder what possible effect it may have had in this incident. In a way, it is, "...ah, we see that on Eastern Area Railroads, it is very  
old right of way..."...

Also, and we will need to see actual report of what happened, apparently neither train running at high speed. Note the lead car in the  
Photos. Do we see the front end of the car somewhat twisted out of alignment with car body? If so, raises some questions about lateral  
strength and integrity of the structure? (We rarely, if ever, saw that in the ages back BUDD Car product.)

...........................Vern..........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: May 23rd, 2013, 9:21pm »

on May 21st, 2013, 6:06am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
George - Clyde - All -  

This a collateral point, but must note the obvious fairly close track centers thru the subject Station area. At this point, it is speculative  
to wonder what possible effect it may have had in this incident. In a way, it is, "...ah, we see that on Eastern Area Railroads, it is very  
old right of way..."...

Also, and we will need to see actual report of what happened, apparently neither train running at high speed. Note the lead car in the  
Photos. Do we see the front end of the car somewhat twisted out of alignment with car body? If so, raises some questions about lateral  
strength and integrity of the structure? (We rarely, if ever, saw that in the ages back BUDD Car product.)

...........................Vern..........................

I am not going to comment on damage to the cars and what may be implied. But doesn't seem to have been serious penetration of anything, which is good.

Close centers would be expected in a line built when that one was. But - I recall that the way the PRR seemed to operate through Aberdeen wasn't the way they were running here. I recall it as four tracks, the  tracks on each side serving a platform (tunnel under the track for connection), with the other two generally running same direction as the one to the right.  Not  a lot of chance for a head-on, even a scraping one, though things could go badly wrong.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »