Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 19th, 2018, 7:43am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Train vs. Rolls Royce (on trailer) in Houston
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Rail Safety
(Moderators: prostock19, CP8673, , Pyronova, cn2220, BNSF_1088)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Train vs. Rolls Royce (on trailer) in Houston  (Read 99 times)
ehbowen
Railfan

« on: Jan 8th, 2013, 9:20am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Train wins.

Nobody injured, so we can chuckle about it...although, of course, a lot of inconvenience and expense. According to the comments, this crossing is one of many along that railroad line which are marked with signs warning that low trailers are likely to get hung up. Apparently this trucker breezed past one such sign, and his trailer, sure enough, got hung up. He was on the phone with 911 when the train broadsided him; 911 was not able to get the word out to the railroad in time to stop the train.

--------Eric H. Bowen

Now 200 classic timetables online, transcribed into machine-readable and searchable format:

Check it out here: Streamliner Schedules!

Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Train vs. Rolls Royce (on trailer) in Houston

« Reply #1 on: Jan 8th, 2013, 11:05pm »

Not really an antique R-R, though not current production (which is very luxurious and astoundingly ugly). Looks to be a custom limo, though. May be repairable. Truckers need to be able to read signs, and smart enough to understand them, seems to me.

Train obviously wasn't moving that fast when it made contact.

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jan 9th, 2013, 11:16am »

Yes sir, Clyde. So many drivers fail to either pay attention to the signs or be aware of the height of their vehicles......or BOTH!  

Not to mention how the media spins the headlines and stories that the BIG BAD train hit the truck. Just once would I love to see a head-line that reads: " Idiot driver gets in the way of train of (X-name) Company Train and is hit as a result!"

That just drives me bananas!

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jan 9th, 2013, 6:11pm »

on Jan 9th, 2013, 11:16am, charlie6017 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yes sir, Clyde. So many drivers fail to either pay attention to the signs or be aware of the height of their vehicles......or BOTH!  

Not to mention how the media spins the headlines and stories that the BIG BAD train hit the truck. Just once would I love to see a head-line that reads: " Idiot driver gets in the way of train of (X-name) Company Train and is hit as a result!"

That just drives me bananas!

Charlie

Hardly alone in that, sir. Seems as if there are a number of "High center" crossings around Houston and there have been a number of wrecks as a result.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »