Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 20th, 2018, 12:14am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Woman with stroller killed by train in Riverside
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Rail Safety
(Moderators: prostock19, CP8673, , Pyronova, cn2220, BNSF_1088)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Woman with stroller killed by train in Riverside  (Read 128 times)
ehbowen
Railfan

« on: Oct 9th, 2011, 6:00pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

An unidentified (so far) woman pushing a stroller with a 2 year old baby tried to beat a Metrolink train across the railroad tracks in Riverside. It appears that she went around the lowered crossing arms. However, the stroller wheel caught and got stuck as she was crossing the tracks. She managed to pull it free and push it clear of the tracks, but not in time to keep from being struck herself. She was killed instantly. A bystander saw the stroller rolling free and caught it in time to stop it from rolling on into traffic; the baby is unharmed and now in the care of her grandmother.

News story from KABC.

News story from L.A. Times.

--------Eric H. Bowen

Now 200 classic timetables online, transcribed into machine-readable and searchable format:

Check it out here: Streamliner Schedules!

Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Woman with stroller killed by train in Riverside

« Reply #1 on: Oct 10th, 2011, 1:59pm »

Saw that same little story in our local parrot cage liner.  Gotta be more to it than that. Including "How do you get a baby stroller stuck in the tracks?" And "what in the world was she thinking when she went around the lowered gates?" After all, a Metrolink train is a passenger consist, and would take less than a minute from gates coming down to train through the crossing....

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2011, 1:59pm by ClydeDET » Logged
Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Oct 10th, 2011, 3:14pm »

on Oct 10th, 2011, 1:59pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Saw that same little story in our local parrot cage liner.  Gotta be more to it than that. Including "How do you get a baby stroller stuck in the tracks?" And "what in the world was she thinking when she went around the lowered gates?" After all, a Metrolink train is a passenger consist, and would take less than a minute from gates coming down to train through the crossing....

The same reason people will pull up onto the tracks at a stop light and get TRAPPED in traffic because people gotta fill up that "hole" left on the other side!

We once had a very pregnant lady crawl under a stopped train at our facility's crossing.  She was scant INCHES from the wheel set.  All the train would hadda do was lurch forward.   SQUISH! My boss came out and went over to her and warned her not to do that.  SHE CUSSED US FOR EVERYTHING WE WERE WORTH!!!! I never heard so many F-bombs dropped in so short a time!  I told her "Fine! Next time we won't say a word!  You can just get squished; you can't regulate STOOPID"! Naturally, she laid another cussin' on us.....and started towards us!

"Now WHOA, Lady!!  You stay on the street.  Come into our yard, and we'll  detain you for arrest! You better calm down!!!!"  

But, of course, the family would sue saying how the train contrived to jump off the tracks and run her down!    Buncha stupid people and greedy barristers that promote that crap!!!!!!!!

GF

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2011, 9:55pm »

I've seen a number of crossing accident lawsuits tried (I never did do PI so never tried one myself). All of the successful ones, as best i can recall, involved un-gated (though in a few cases, ones with warning lights but no gates) crossings and some sort of impaired view for the people crossing.

Recall at least one where a car ran into a train at night, crossing had nothing but cross-bucks and was in the country so the only illumination was the car headlights. Why those weren't adequate - dunno. Hard to ask the driver or passenger since both were killed real dead. Accident reconstruction suggested they were running at the night-time speed limit, which was 65 MPH, or faster. Plaintioff theory was the railroad was negligent by not having signals or at elsat ilumination. Jury thought otherwise. That was in Lampasas or Mills County IIRC - on Santa Fe west of Fort Hood, anyhow. Would have been while i was in practice in Killeen, so at least 32 years ago.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »