Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 20th, 2018, 12:13am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Quiet Zones
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Rail Safety
(Moderators: prostock19, CP8673, , Pyronova, cn2220, BNSF_1088)
   Quiet Zones
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Quiet Zones  (Read 279 times)
SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

Quiet Zones

« on: Jan 13th, 2011, 8:59pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

this has been bothering me for a LONG time, quiet zones is a pain to me. people dont want to hear whistles in their neighborhood, so what! people get killed at quiet zones because they never hear the trains whistles/horns anymore. gates, lights, bells, ect. is not enough at crossings.    

Piglet
Historian
Re: Quiet Zones

« Reply #1 on: Jan 13th, 2011, 9:36pm »

I agree with you.  One wonders how they missed the fact that trains run close to there houses when the buy them.  On CN at Tofield AB they just got a quiet zone on a railroad that has been there for around a hundred years and is at the west end of CN's longest tangent track.  I just see a real nasty accident coming sometime down the road then they will have a hissy about lack of warning.   In Squamish BC they are complaining about CN switching cars in their yard there cause the big buck houses they built are close to the tracks.  This was the home base of BC Rail before it was bought by CN and was even busier then.   Its like people who buy a house near an airport then complain about the planes, suck it up sunshine, you didn't do your "due dilagence" (pardon the spelling)before you bought your property.

we learn from the past
Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2011, 11:38pm »

In Anchorage Alaska there are several crossings designated "quiet zones", yet they build speakers on the crossing arms that create an electric train horn sound when the circuit activates. What really fascinates me is that any lawsuit can arise out of a grade crossing incident. Regardless of if the lights flash or if the gates drop, the crossbucks still mean "yield". It's on every test when you get your drivers permit. It's not like the train went out of its way to hit someone. If you are on the tracks, you're going to get what's coming at you!

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14th, 2011, 10:56am »

We have a quiet zone here in Fargo-Moorhead, and there haven't been any problems with it-yet.  I am expecting that there will be an accident and there will be a lawsuit, for the reasons mentioned in previous posts.

And they are growing in popularity out here, too.  Casselton, about 20 miles west of Fargo, wants to have one, as does Jamestown, another 80 miles west of Casselton.

Dilworth, about 5 miles east of Moorhead, has one for it's lone grade crossing.  That is the only one that sort of makes sense, since that crossing is right by the yard tower and sees a lot of trains from switching moves in the west side yard tracks.  Please notice I said sort of makes sense!

I don't like quiet zones-they are accidents waiting to happen!

SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14th, 2011, 5:22pm »

EXACTLY!! however, its the city peoples fault that quiet zones are in, if their annoyed by the train horns good. if they really dont want to hear the horns, move away. its either get annoyed or get killed.

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14th, 2011, 6:10pm »

Quiet zones really illustrate the NIMBY syndrome.  After all, what came first, the railroad or the housing developments?

'Nuff said!

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14th, 2011, 11:21pm »

Even if the house should somehow be older than the railroad, the people that are in it are not.  

Chances are if you grew up with it, you are not bothered by the train horns anyway.  It is the new ones in the area that seem to think the world should be adjusted to suit them not the other way around.  

It is even more silly now that most houses have airconditioning and ahve their windows closed 12 months out of 12.  In times past, if you lived close to the tracks, it was considered the norm that any activity that involved speaking or hearing simply stopped until the train was past.  It was reality, part of life, no big deal.  

I could go on for a while on that one.  While working overseas I tried to get that message across to new arrivals.  This is their country, not ours, this is the way they run it, and if you do not like it, do not complain, leave instead.  If you are a whiner and complainer you simply make harder on those of us that are foreigners and work here and try to adjust to the way life here is and try our best to act as considerate visitors.  

We always had some that came in with the attitude that everythign should be their way.  Fortunately most of these did not stay.  

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2011, 11:33pm by George_Harris » Logged
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21st, 2011, 3:01pm »

You've called it, George.

I grew up in suburban Chicago, with a runway landing approach outside my front door and the Milwaukee Road's Bensenville yard two blocks north of the house.  A major four lane highway was about 100' from the back yard.  To top it off, the Northwest Tollroad was about 4 or 5 blocks away.  

I don't have any sympathy for the NIMBYS as a result.

SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Jun 8th, 2011, 5:56pm »

been a while but im still getting pissed at this. where i live (area wise) theirs nothing but quiet zones!

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Jun 9th, 2011, 7:42am »

At the very least, railroads should be granted immunity from liability for any grade crossing accident in a quiet zone.  Also, in exchange for the granting of quiet zone status, communities should be required to repair and maintain (and be held liable for the proper working of) crossing gates and other warning devices within the zone.  If you don't agree to these two conditions, you don't get the quiet zone.  Period.

I know it ain't gonna happen, but it would sure be the right thing to do.

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2011, 7:44am by Norm_Anderson » Logged
Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Nov 22nd, 2015, 1:56pm »

Seems this topic has gone into the quiet zone.  Anyway, I no longer live near an active rail line so I can't tell how far horn-blowing restrictions have gone. I do know that this past August I spent a week in Belle Meade NJ within a mile or so of 2 grade crossings of the CSX TRENTON sub and heard nothing.  This is a lightly populated area. Two weeks ago I was in Stony Point NY for a few days, very close to several CSX River Line crossings.  Again, nothing, and it was not atmospherics to blame.  Are there laws toning noise down?

Fall_Creek
TRAINing

« Reply #11 on: May 10th, 2016, 8:37am »

Two movements in the Eugene, Oregon area:
More passenger service and at the same time, quiet zones, asking the railroad to pay for both.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »