Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 20th, 2018, 12:25am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Metrolink Collided With UP Freight. 17 Killed, 135 Injured
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Rail Safety
(Moderators: prostock19, CP8673, , Pyronova, cn2220, BNSF_1088)
   Metrolink Collided With UP Freight. 17 Killed, 135 Injured
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Metrolink Collided With UP Freight. 17 Killed, 135 Injured  (Read 1053 times)
NYC_Subway_Fan
Historian
Re: Metrolink Collided With UP Freight. 17 Killed, 135 Injured

« Reply #40 on: Dec 5th, 2008, 4:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

And now just to add to the confusion and questions:

Quote:
The conductor aboard the commuter train that collided with a freight train in September told investigators the warning light along the track was green before the crash that killed 25 people, his attorney said Thursday (Dec. 4).

The full story from the UTU's website can be found here.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Dec 5th, 2008, 5:11pm »

And I believe a couple of rail-fans stated the signal was green as well - but I'll bet the NTSB will go with "the signal system was operating properly and the engineer ran a red". We shall, i suppose see.

But - even if the signals were malfunctioning (which would mean the wreck would - to a high degree of probability - have occurred anyway, given sight-lines), the evidence of the engineer using his cell just before the wreck  is going to almost certainly be cited as part of the cause ("Distracted engineer fails to take action in time to avoid deadly wreck" so to speak). I'm pretty convinced that taking on the phone while driving - a car, a train, a bus, an airplane, a boat or whatever - is not the best idea you can have. One thing to get on the radio and report past a signal and its aspect or a hotbox or dragging equipment detector to the dispatcher, but having a conversation with somebody on the phone? No, not a great idea.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Jun 24th, 2009, 10:38pm »

Went to the NTSB web site to see if there was anything new.  This is not that recent, but I had not seen it, and no one has posted so, here:

www.ntsb.gov/Events/2009/Chatsworth-CA/Chatsworth_Collision_Presentation.pdf

This is a slide show with a fair amount of worthwhile information.  Based on this document, there were no signal issues.  The UP conductor tested positive for pot, but that was not a factor in the accident at all.  In fact, if he had been unconsious it would have made no difference.  

There are a number of other NTSB items that can be found here:

www.ntsb.gov/Dockets/Railroad/DCA08MR009/default.htm

There are a number of things here that could be of interest.  In particular, go down to near the bottom of the list to see this one:
414051  Mar 03, 2009 Animation- Railroad Accident Animation  

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Feb 23rd, 2010, 6:29pm »

NTSB Report on the accident is now up on the NTSB site.

Tragically, it appears that the accident was, essentially, the sole responsibility of the Metrolink engineer on 111. He just ran his train wrong anmd killed himself an 25 passengers. Part of the running wrong was violating operating rules (he should not have exceeded 40 MPH after leaving the station until he got a clear signal - which wasn't displayed), and not behaving as if the signal after the station stop would be red, which he had indications of. And then there was the use of his cell while running - sent repeated text messages, including one just prior (like - seconds) to the wreck.  

Oh - the subject of the message was to get one or more teenage railfans into the cab at a station down the line, with plans for one or more of them to get some (illegal) throttle time. This had happened before.

There is considerable discussion of the signal, which beyond a reasonable doubt was NOT green but red. There are reasons set out for the report of a green display reported by the condctor and three (actually - two of three) railfans. They seem acceptable. Very sad. Which we knew before.

Garl B. Latham
TRAINing

« Reply #44 on: Aug 15th, 2013, 12:05pm »

I was looking for some other information and ran across this thread.

Shortly after the N.T.S.B. report on this incident was released, I wrote the following essay for Progressive Railroading's web site.

"Texting to death"

http://myprogressiverailroading.com/myprogressiverailroading_blogs/b/gblatham/archive/2010/01/26/texting-to-death.aspx

G.B.L.

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »