Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 19th, 2018, 7:53am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Why We Blow Whistles Engineers Story
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Rail Safety
(Moderators: prostock19, CP8673, , Pyronova, cn2220, BNSF_1088)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Why We Blow Whistles Engineers Story  (Read 1748 times)
BNSF_1088
Historian

« on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 4:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

http://www.ble.org/pr/newsletter/0400newsletter/story14.html

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2008, 6:39pm by anthonyd_SRR » Logged

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

MachinistBoy46
Railfan
Re: Why we blow whistles engineers story

« Reply #1 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 9:37pm »

God that pisses me off.  "Babykillers?"   Nah the two dippy lil prep girls driving the car were that.   And ya know, how come theres always like 8 million witnesses who always claim "the lights werent working" or " he wasnt blowing the horn" when its always so painfully OBVIOUS they were. Especially like he said, since he was blowing frequently for the many crossings, how could one not hear that?   I mean I know we`ve established on this thread that idiots run lights, but I`ll never come to terms with the fact of how the blame is almost always put on the crew and then they have to go through hell becuase some idiot didnt feel like waiting a couple minutes.   I could go on and and on, but i`ll stop...    take care guys  -Chris

prostock19
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 10:41pm »

Wow.  Very informative and well written artical.  I still don't get the "babykillers" part.  People.

Railroadman
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:21pm »

I don't get the "babykiller" eather. I think everybody that wants
a whistle ban aught to take a good look at this story.

The best locomotives D9-40CW, AC4400,
and SD70MAC. Maby you can beat the train...
Maby you are dead wrong Lets add Amtrak
to the list of favorite RR'S too.!!

Ham Radio call sign KC8ZFW

The Best Horn K5LA.!!

The Best Signal C&O Cantilever.!!

NS Pokey Dispatrcher to the 233 over.
RailCop
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 7:50pm »

Thanks Matt,
I've printed this one for future reference.  

I have responded many times to fatal accidents, both motorists and trespassers, and it's never easy. As a railroad police officer I have several responsibilities at these incidents, but the FIRST thing I do is get with the crew and make my own judgment on how they are coping. On occasion I have requested they be relieved because in my judgment they were not "OK", even if they thought they were. I have been fortunate in my career with Conrail, and now NS, to work with good people in the transportation department.  

As for the “baby killer” comment, well, I’m not surprised, nor am I upset by it. That’s a result of emotions out of control. I’m sure the comment was made by someone close to the victims, or someone who has had a bad experience with a railroad in the past. It’s anger coming out. It has to be ignored.  

The general public sees the railroad as the bad guy in these cases. They never even give the crew a second thought. When they see a train go by the rarely see the human beings inside. All they see is big, loud, smoky, intimidating, usually dark and scary, machines. It does not matter who was right or who was wrong. The big guy is always the bad guy.  

It’s a terrible shame that these young ladies died needlessly. They were young and full of youth. The driver probably never saw the train because she was having fun with her friends. Now they’re gone and the engine crew will have to live with those memories.........forever.

Kevin

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2006, 2:51am by RailCop » Logged

Let's 'B-Safe' out there,
Kevin
Ken V
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 10:28pm »

That's an excellently written account of the incident and aftermath. It really brings home many of the points made in this forum time and again and brings out some others.

What really amazes me is the immediate actions taken by the crew while "all hell" was breaking loose. I was reminded of the tragic incident near Thamesville ON about five years ago in which both engineers of a VIA train were killed when their train took a switch that was lined improperly at 80 mph. Just before the crash one of the engineers got on the radio to warn an approaching train... "VIA 71. Stop! Stop! Stop!"   Both engineers are now in the Canadian Railway Hall of Fame

On another matter: Quote:
What seemed like an eternity passed and Brian told me that the third girl, the driver of the car had also passed away. I relayed this information to John and informed him that both Brian and myself wished to be relieved. He relayed that information to the Chief. A little while later, he came back on to inform us that the Trainmaster at Schiller Park refused our request as he was planning to run a work train in the morning and didn't want to "waste this crew for us."
What a f------ a------!

They looked in the future and what did they see? They saw an iron road running from the sea to the sea
-- Gordon Lightfoot (Canadian Railroad Trilogy)
MGtrainut
Railfan

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 12:30pm »

Excellent story.  Finally somthing from the crew's point of view.  The media never runs stories like this, which is ashame as it would bring the long-lost human side of railroading to the public.  

With all of the blame being aimed at train crews, it is probably a good idea to put event recorders in locomotives.  When will these thick-headed idiots learn that the flashing red lights and gates are there for a reason?   Trying to run a race with that many tons of steel does not make you a hard-ass or cool in anyway.   Especially when you are stuck on the pilot of of an SD40-2 doing 40 mph.  

The Modern Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad.........WITHOUT CN!!
RailCop
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Mar 17th, 2005, 1:52pm »

Event recorders have been used on most locomotives for nearly 30 years. The first ones recorded information on the old style 8-track tape. Some are still in use today. The newer ones record everything onto a hard drive which can be downloaded onto a memory card similar to a credit card.  

Norfolk Southern has pioneered RailView; a system which records sound, video, and control events, all onto a hard drive. All this information can be recovered after an incident, saved to a DVD disk, and played back. As the viewer watches what was occurring out in front of the train it also displays throttle position, amperage, speed, air pressure, brake application, headlights (low, med, or high), ditch lights (on, off, flashing), horn, bell, dynamics (on, off, amperage), etc. When the final product is viewed it gives a very dramatic view of exactly what occurred ahead of the engine.  When someone says “the gates weren’t working” the video will tell who’s right and who’s wrong. It can work both ways. If the railroad screwed up it will show that too. This system has been extremely successful thus far. It's not installed on all NS locomotives but most of them and it's growing fast. It's an exceptional system which aids in finding the truth of the matter......period!

« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2005, 1:55pm by RailCop » Logged

Let's 'B-Safe' out there,
Kevin
csx7006
Railfan

« Reply #8 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 12:13pm »

that what we need NOW to protect us

Never join a union that says you make too much money.

Railroads: Destroying and delaying your freight by poor management decisions!! But we blame the employees anyway.

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23rd, 2005, 5:29pm »

"babykiller" what the ****!?  
Makes no sense!unless its the parents talking about how the train killed thier baby......who was dumb enough to try to outrun a train!
sop many try it so many die...i wonder what the auctaul chance of beating a train is?
Or the chances of beating it angaint the % who dont.....................

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 11:24pm »

just this week i have been called a BABY KILLER 6 times

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24th, 2005, 11:47pm »

I really dont get what they mean by "Baby Killer"!  

CSX B40-8
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 12:21am »

me either. doesnt make sence to me. now who in there right mind wants to ban horn blowings? its not like the crew's blowing the horns just to hear them. the horns are there to warn...simple as that. it erks t he hell outta me when folks complain about constend horn honkage. i say be grateful you know they are coming. a train doing 55mph dinging its bell will not be heard at all.

i cant begin to imagine what the crew goes thru after whacking a car. bad enuff you hit the dam thing but knowing you killed somebody or somebodies,man that gots to be a blow right their alone. i envy railroad crews. thats gotta be hard.....and the sad thing about it,they blaim them,like they can steer a freight into a car on purpose. sad.......very.....

Loco_227
Railfan

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 4:07pm »

Hi  
I'am glad the engineer still calling the crossing I see some stupid moves that people make at RR Crossings like kids moving their bikes across as we are backing up to the station.

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Jul 8th, 2005, 2:40pm »

on Jul 8th, 2005, 11:33am, The Insider wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I almost made a hood ornament out of a hispanic fellow on a bicycle yesterday in one of our quiet zone crossings in Irving. Stupid bastard didn't even look up at me when I started whistling...
Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't.

The damn stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. Guess who would have caught all the blame if you would have hit the bastard?

Go Braves!

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Jul 9th, 2005, 6:33am »

on Jul 8th, 2005, 11:33am, The Insider wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I almost made a hood ornament out of a hispanic fellow on a bicycle yesterday in one of our quiet zone crossings in Irving. Stupid bastard didn't even look up at me when I started whistling...
Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't.

They're everywhere. Yesterday, a hotdog kid cut in less than a car-length ahead of me on a rain-slick road and stopped to turn into a gas station. Even at only 25mph, I had no choice but to slam on the brakes and hit him, ruining my van's perfect record of 557,000 miles without an "accident."

Just a hard bump, no damage or injuries, but it gave me a (very) small taste of what it must be like to be up in that cab as some bonehead drives or walks right in front of your train, and there's absolutely nothing you can do but plow into him.

Until every crossing is idiot-proofed, Quiet Zones are an open invitation to disaster.

- Bob

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Jul 9th, 2005, 3:53pm »

Well, I can relate to the "Baby Killer' bit. THough in a rather differnt context. Got called that by a few folks, though not often to my face, after i came home from Southeast Asia long ago...

Untrue, and hurt - just as it is untrue and hurts the train crews.

Insider - you say "Quiet zone" in Irving. Do you drive trains for TRE? or UP or BNSF?

765 fan
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 6:23pm »

Here's a easy question.Why do people blam the train driver?It's the stupid diver's fault,not his.And "babykillers"?How every thought of that is a stupid ---!

Head manager of the Chicagoland Railroad.

Pay attention to life, it will surprise you.

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and make everyone wonder how the hell did you do that!?!
razor
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 8:59am »

For some reason, the assumption is that the crew was speeding or doing something wrong. As a conductor, I've been in a number of crossing accidents, but only one fatality. In that case, the police were complete asshats and took my engineer into custody because he refused to produce his automobile driver's license (hogheads only have to produce their Engineer's credentials.) They almost arrested me as well, since I also refused to produce mine (although I just claimed I didn't have it on me). The cops were complete idiots. They kept saying things like "your gonna' fry for this murder buddy". Idiots.

Anyhow, we were doing everything correctly. Not speeding, the flashers at the crossing worked properly and the hog blew the horn properly. I even engaged the emergency brakes (car came from my side, I saw them first) before the accident.  

In the end, the RR got sued and the hog and I had to appear before a grand jury. The Railview camera and event recorder saved us. Last I heard about it, the RR sued the driver's insurance company for damage to the locomotive and the delayed freight.

-r

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2006, 7:57pm by razor » Logged
csxhogger98
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 11:40am »

Railroaders should start suing these "witnesses", who claim we dont blow blow the whistle or ring the bell, or say we were speeding.  The lies they tell have the potential to ruin you forever.  You could lose everything finacially as well as wind up in prison because of what they say.  I guess they dont realize we can discredit everything they say.  But they dont seem to care about our lives, the people just doing our job, but they all seem to jump to the "victims" side, the person who drove around the gates and right into our path.  Maybe those people should start being held accountable.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »