Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 19th, 2018, 9:42pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

TRESPASSING ON RR PROPERTY
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Rail Safety
(Moderators: prostock19, CP8673, , Pyronova, cn2220, BNSF_1088)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: TRESPASSING ON RR PROPERTY  (Read 2971 times)
Two23
Historian
Re: TRESPASSING ON RR PROPERTY

« Reply #20 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 3:07pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jan 10th, 2004, 1:43pm, BNSF_1088 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

There not giving out any passes yet not at this time we are on high alert to look out for people.

Matt--

What is a "pass?"  Where I live there are no RR police or anything.  Or any high level management like there would be in K.C.  I simply have verbal permission from specific individuals like trainmasters and MOW supervisors to take certain kinds of photos along the lines.  Whenever I go into a yard I ask for permission in the office, each time.   I live in a totally different situation than Curtis does.  Another thing is that most RR tracks in SD are actually owned by the state, which leases them to the railroads.   But what's this "pass" you are talking about?  Is it something more for the bigger divisions?

Kent in SD

« Last Edit: Jan 10th, 2004, 3:08pm by Two23 » Logged

Kent in SD
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 5:54pm »

on Jan 10th, 2004, 3:07pm, Two23 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Matt--

What is a "pass?"  Where I live there are no RR police or anything.  Or any high level management like there would be in K.C.  I simply have verbal permission from specific individuals like trainmasters and MOW supervisors to take certain kinds of photos along the lines.  Whenever I go into a yard I ask for permission in the office, each time.   I live in a totally different situation than Curtis does.  Another thing is that most RR tracks in SD are actually owned by the state, which leases them to the railroads.   But what's this "pass" you are talking about?  Is it something more for the bigger divisions?

Kent in SD

The pass is given from BNSF to be on the property or in the cab of an engine.For exsample when Pentrex did there KC cab ride they had to have this pass it waives all liabilty if something was to happen to you while you were on RR property.Ok here is 1 more exsample the New MSTS Surfline Route Facing Point got a 30 day head end pass from Amtrak to do Videos and audio and all that good stuff to make the program.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Two23
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 8:28pm »

on Jan 10th, 2004, 5:54pm, BNSF_1088 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The pass is given from BNSF to be on the property or in the cab of an engine.For exsample when Pentrex did there KC cab ride they had to have this pass it waives all liabilty if something was to happen to you while you were on RR property..

This sounds like something more for commercial ventures than just casual railfans.  I have doubts that they're going to be handing out these passes to someone who just wants to shoot a few photos along the ROW.  Who would be the one to talk to anyway, the local trainmaster?    

Kent in SD

Kent in SD
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 8:37pm »

on Jan 10th, 2004, 8:28pm, Two23 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

This sounds like something more for commercial ventures than just casual railfans.  I have doubts that they're going to be handing out these passes to someone who just wants to shoot a few photos along the ROW.  Who would be the one to talk to anyway, the local trainmaster?    

Kent in SD

Yeah! I can hear it now - Excuse me Mister Train Man but can I have a pass to take a picture of the train? Also, I need a Hall Pass to go to the restroom...  

Jim...

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 9:51pm »

The passes come from the Corprate Office of the RR Local Trainmasters can't give permision to be on preperty if ypu ask they might say you could (but it's not the legal way and if something happend to you a lot of people would be in trouble) And those passes anyone can ask for railfans have gotten these passes before.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

RailCop
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 12:25am »

Allow me to add my two cents worth to this thread. Always remember, trespassers are a LIABILITY. That is the number one reason railroads, or any other commercial entity, do not allow unauthorized persons on their property. It's not that you're a threat, although in these days of "terrorists everywhere mentality" it is a reason. Anytime a person is on someones property they present a possible risk. If that person becomes injured the company bears some responsibility. If I come to your home, even if you don't want me there, and fall off the front porch, I can sue you for pain and suffering, lost wages, and punitive damages (which means I can ask for tons of money for no good reason). Now when a major corporation is the subject of an injury suit the jury sees this poor little person with the broken leg who may never walk straight again and can't work at a good job, make love, etc. They figure if the company doesn't pay for this then we, the tax payer, will enevtually have to cover the bill either in wellfare or higher insurance rates.  
I don't mean to be callus but I've seen this many times over. A trespasser is hurt on railroad property and they or their family sues the railroad. Now the victim climbed a fence or walked past the no trespassing sign or whatever. That doesn't mater. They still sue and the railroad spends big bucks defending itself and sometimes still pays a settlement. Hey, these companies ain't perfect. If they negligently cause an injury then they should bear responsibility. But if a trespasser is on the tracks and gets hurt, well, DUH!
 Beyond people being struck by a train we've had folks fall off bridges, trip on the rail striking their heads, flip their ATV and get hurt, etc. The point is that taking pictures is not against the law, trespassing is. And for getting permission....GET IT IN WRITING! I've encountered many people who told me they had permission from "the guy in the white hard hat down in the yard". Yea, right, there's fifty guys with white hard hats.  Chances are he did'nt have the authority to give you permission anyway. If he won't give you his name and put it in writing then it doesn't count.  
One last thing. A release isn't worth the paper it's written on. If you get a release and get killed your family can still sue....they didn't sign any release. And it doesn't protect the train crew from the emotional stress from seeing a human being get run over by the train they were on.  

Railfanning is a great hobby. Enjoy it and B-safe. Just use common sense.

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2012, 6:58pm by RailCop » Logged

Let's 'B-Safe' out there,
Kevin
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 1:04am »

Years ago the USSR said we would destroy ourselves from the inside out. If these sue happy people have their way we won't be able to go anywhere or do anything. It's already started and I'm not sure it can be stopped. When my waking hours are filled with "I stubbed my toe on the bed, I'm suing Serta", "I spilled coffee on myself, I'm suing McDonalds" "I hit a pothole, I'm suing the D.O.T", please shoot me! I try to stay on public property as much as I can but I could be told to leave the sidewalk since it's the responsibilty of the town and the homeowner. Free Country! I just don't know anymore. It's an old story - the few ruin it for the many...

Jim...  

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 4:09am »

Jim -

Funny you should mention the USSR. When I was on tour there in '68, we were told in no uncertain terms not to take any pictures of any rail facilities, on pain of camera confiscation, arrest, or worse. All in the name of homeland security, of course.

Like BnO_Hendo a few posts back, I hear ominous music.

Bob

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 11:32am »

on Jan 11th, 2004, 4:09am, trainwatcher1100 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Jim -

Funny you should mention the USSR. When I was on tour there in '68, we were told in no uncertain terms not to take any pictures of any rail facilities, on pain of camera confiscation, arrest, or worse. All in the name of homeland security, of course.

Like BnO_Hendo a few posts back, I hear ominous music.

Bob

At least we can complain and have opinions. We, as railfans, could be a real help to rail security. I feel the same about a lot of other groups of people in other areas. Instead of utilizing us, restrict us. If you could be an honorary member of any current Railroad wouldn't you sign up? I would. Name, address, etc., on file with say CSX. As I said before I already provide services by reporting problems such as lights or signals not working, debris on the tracks, whatever. Why can't someone in our government see the light...

Jim...

nkp774
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Jan 11th, 2004, 2:34pm »

I have to feel sorry for those who want to take rail photos these days. With the homeland security thing now-a-days, it's got to be difficult.I'm even cautious about taking photos in places I would never worry about before. As for the pass, I can remember writing to the New York Central for permission to photograph in Collinwood yards, and having a railroad official actually come to my house and ask me questions, then give me permission. Another time. I saw a B&O unit I wanted to photograph in the New Castle yards, so I went to the office, looking for a railroad offficial or rail police officer. Told him what I wanted and got my photo. Don't know if it still works like that, but it's better than just "waltzing" in.

Pyronova

View Profile  

CPRReminder.jpg - 123712 Bytes
« Reply #30 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 3:46am »

Just had to add this......    

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (123712 bytes, 1000x750 pixels)

Click Here to View Image CPRReminder.jpg - 123712 Bytes

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

CHR1.jpg - 47197 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 7:17am »

Good idea Pyronova. Here's another...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Safety/CHR1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2005, 7:18am by NS3360 » Logged

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

welsh
TRAINing

« Reply #32 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 3:08pm »

A few weeks ago I spent a day tracking alongside the SP (UP) in Arizona between Maricopa and Cochise.  No problems.  The people I met were friendly and informative.

I've been hassled in Tucson previously but I was parked on railroad land.  I should've known better....

CSX B40-8
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Mar 30th, 2005, 3:55pm »

on Jan 11th, 2004, 2:34pm, nkp774 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
As for the pass, I can remember writing to the New York Central for permission to photograph in Collinwood yards, and having a railroad official actually come to my house and ask me questions, then give me permission.                                 

heh....i work there....dun need to ask. but i do have to becareful. we also get alot of folks wanted to walk thru the intermodal yard. the big problem right now (since its warm) is folks wanted to sleep in empty containers. we are suppose to check the rear to see if the doors are closed and locked....but we usaully dont check inside the container. had countless reports of folks being shipped in containers because they discided to go to sleep in them. i personally never hauled a container with somebody in it....and if i have,man they got one hell of a ride.....cause the empties yard is very and i say, very bumpy and with a trailer on my jockey truck,i dont go slow most of the time. My cab may avoid the chuck holes....but the trailer doesnt. . ive only seen CSX polic in Blazers a few times. They are mainly sitting by the tracks or watching us work. Theft is another huge problem since containers ship anything from Exotic super cars to Big Screen TVs.we had somebody take a 40 ft container over to the empties yard and stole like 8  36 inch screen plasma TVs out of the shipment of like.....40 or so. they later found out a over the road truck driver brought the trailer over there. who stole the TVs they never found out. weJockey drivers wouldnt know cause we dont have paperwork on our loads....we just know what container number to look for and what "Bucket" car to take it too....thats it.

Pyronova

View Profile  

BeSafe_SacramentoSouthern.jpg - 264167 Bytes
« Reply #34 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 2:22am »

Well, its not trespassing, but a friendly reminder......

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Safety/BeSafe_SacramentoSouthern.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

streamline_j3
Chaser

« Reply #35 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 9:52am »

I live in a state where cxst and other lines have quite a few public access arreas where you can watch trains and take pictures.
   I sometimes get a wavering thought about police and others comes to me and arrests me or confiscate cameras I have to take pictures with, but it hasn't happen yet.
   When I do go off the public access to watch trains I always watch for trains coming and listen for trains, I always stay in site of a signal tower to watch for approach signals and always get hello waves from track crews and train crews.

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #36 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 3:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

That is a very interesting sign. The Strasburg Railroad has signs that have a little sentence about keeping away and no trespassing.

Anthony

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 2:37pm »

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=qualicum+beach&ie=UTF8&ll=49.346431,-124.438362&spn=0.016999,0.050426&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #38 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 3:07pm »

Good idea posting this one here.  Lets subject these idiots to continent wide ridicule like they deserve.  As I said in the Vancouver Island board, Darwin Award time

Anthony_RMLI
Former Member

« Reply #39 on: Sep 7th, 2008, 9:52am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I wonder how fast the train was going and what they were trying to to.

Anthony

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »