Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 20th, 2018, 12:17am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

TRESPASSING ON RR PROPERTY
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Rail Safety
(Moderators: prostock19, CP8673, , Pyronova, cn2220, BNSF_1088)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: TRESPASSING ON RR PROPERTY  (Read 2930 times)
BNSF_1088
Historian

« on: Jan 5th, 2004, 10:09pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

RR's will not tolerate trespassing and watch what you take pictures of try to avoid the yards.I am just giving you heads up we have to report anyone near the tracks.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

big3fan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: TRESPASSING ON RR PROPERTY

« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2004, 10:29pm »

This may sound stupid but if I am at a station is that ok?  I'm being serious,there are a few Septa stations here that have freight go by.

www.lightwriterproductions.com

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2004, 10:51pm »

on Jan 5th, 2004, 10:29pm, big3fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This may sound stupid but if I am at a station is that ok?  I'm being serious,there are a few Septa stations here that have freight go by.

When in doubt ask. I have had no problems in the Northeast and telling them what you're doing always works for me. It's not trespassing if you have permission to be there or if the RR knows why you're there and it's understood that it's ok. If they tell you move on - do so. Most RR employees I've come across are hams and enjoy your presence. Asking is the rule! I've asked cops, homeowners and RR employees permission for lots of things. It's only strange when no-one knows what you're up to. I also feel I'm doing the RR a service as well. I've reported debris on the tracks, signals or bells that aren't working, etc. I have yet to be told no but I'm sure I'll be turned away somewhere - sometime. The worst thing they can say is no. Most often they tell me better spots to go to where I won't be bothered and I'll be safe and out of their way too. I love my hobby!  

C.Y.A. - always,  

Jim...  

big3fan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2004, 11:03pm »

Thanks for the sound advice Jim, the engineers usually wave and sometimes the conductors say hi when helping passengers off, but this post got me thinking.

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2004, 11:38pm »

Todd-

I agree with Jim...when in doubt, ask.  

These are fearful times and folks are a bit jumpy.  

You should be alright at stations, but if somebody asks you what you're doing, tell them...and if they ask you to move on, do so.

-Charlie

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2004, 11:38pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jan 6th, 2004, 10:07am »

Station's are a good place to be to watch trains you shouldn't get hasseled RR police tell a lot of Railfans to go there.When i watch train's i always go to a Amtrak Station for one reason train crews know thats where railfans hang out.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

NYC_Subway_Fan
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jan 6th, 2004, 12:02pm »

Well I haven't heard about any problems with SEPTA stations, however watch out if you are in an NJT station or an MBTA station.  The MBTA actually has a ban on any and all photography on MBTA property, unless you have a special permit.

NJT, while not having a global ban, does chase people away at certain stations.  Including, but not limited to, Secaucus Junction, Newark, and New York Penn.  You probably won't get hassled at the smaller stations though.

As for Todd's original question, if SEPTA doesn't chase you out of their station, which is public property, then the freight RR can't stop you from taking pictures of their trains from that station.  As a general rule, the freight RR can only stop you from taking pictures of their trains if you are on their property.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Jan 6th, 2004, 12:50pm »

The rails cover a lot of ground and go through plenty of public property. Private property as well - such as a corn field. I told the farmer what I wanted to do and asked if it was ok to film trains from his field. Not a problem. Another time I was near the rails on a homeowners property. Not only did they give me permission to take video from their yard but gave me some good information on their home. As it turned out it was the station turned into a home. You gotta talk to people. Staying away from the big and busy stations near NY and NJ isn't a bad idea and there's plenty of pictures of that stuff anyway. I like to get shots most people don't have. If you must have it then ask or do it from a distance and enlarge it later. You can get around most things but the direct approach seems to work best for "me". Putting myself in other peoples shoes is a good rule of thumb for me and can be the locomotive to drive your photo hobby train. (Sorry TW1100, I just couldn't resist - LOL)

Jim...

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2004, 4:39pm by hummel1237 » Logged
big3fan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #8 on: Jan 6th, 2004, 3:27pm »

Thanks for all the useful advice guys.

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 5:44am »

on Jan 6th, 2004, 12:50pm, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...Putting myself in other peoples shoes is a good rule of thumb for me and can be the locomotive to drive your photo hobby train. (Sorry TW1100, I just couldn't resist - LOL)

Okay, Jim. I'll forgive ya, just this once. - Bob

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 2:32pm »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 5:44am, trainwatcher1100 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Okay, Jim. I'll forgive ya, just this once. - Bob

I'm glad you got it!   HA HA HA HA LOL  
 (My tummy hurts - serves me right   )

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2004, 2:34pm by hummel1237 » Logged
ABQBNSFConductor
Chaser

« Reply #11 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 5:17pm »

I sit on the BNSF emporia Sub off 71st and Martindale in western Shawnee in kansas and we were there last night and the BNSF police pulled up and took our ID's he was cool, he said that they just like to know who is down here taking pictures and they want to run their information to make sure they had no criminal records or anything, He told me theres nothing much they can really do if your taking pictures on railroad property...I didnt really understand why though theres signs everywhere.

BNSF_1088
Historian
  K-9-a-11.gif - 79650 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:12pm »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 5:17pm, audiobahn2003 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I sit on the BNSF emporia Sub off 71st and Martindale in western Shawnee in kansas and we were there last night and the BNSF police pulled up and took our ID's he was cool, he said that they just like to know who is down here taking pictures and they want to run their information to make sure they had no criminal records or anything, He told me theres nothing much they can really do if your taking pictures on railroad property...I didnt really understand why though theres signs everywhere.

BNSF is Railfan friendly and the only time they will do anything is if a crew member reports you.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Safety/K-9-a-11.gif
Click Image to Resize

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Two23
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 8:58pm »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 8:12pm, BNSF_1088 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

BNSF is Railfan friendly  

I've found this to be true to an extent that even Matt probably wouldn't believe, but I can't put it on a public forum!

Kent in SD

Kent in SD
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Jan 9th, 2004, 9:33pm »

on Jan 9th, 2004, 8:58pm, Two23 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I've found this to be true to an extent that even Matt probably wouldn't believe, but I can't put it on a public forum!

Kent in SD

PM me with the info

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

ABQBNSFConductor
Chaser

« Reply #15 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 2:02am »

Well Tonight I was with a friend on Holiday Drive in KCK and Guess what BNSF Police pulls up and it was the same guy from the night before at 71st and martindale and he was being a DICK, he saw my scanner and hes like why do you have that, I said to listen to whats going on, hes like where did you get that and I handed it to him while the railroad was talking and it said Radio Shack on it and He didnt belive me, Then he saw the video camera and was like whats that for I said to shoot video if I see somthing cool.  Then he saw the digital camera binoculars and started asking me questions about that, Then I have a competetion stereo system in my car and he saw my digital capacitor mounted inside my car with 4 AWG welding supply wire running through it and it said 14.2 Volts and he started asking me tons of questions about it, and he told me to leave and go find somewhere else. Then he starts asking me how I know about all these spots, and I said the internet and he goes oh really what websites are these...refused to give that information out...What a dickhead, and he was cool about it the night before.

-Curtis Wells

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 10:07am »

on Jan 10th, 2004, 2:02am, audiobahn2003 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well Tonight I was with a friend on Holiday Drive in KCK and Guess what BNSF Police pulls up and it was the same guy from the night before at 71st and martindale and he was being a DICK, he saw my scanner and hes like why do you have that, I said to listen to whats going on, hes like where did you get that and I handed it to him while the railroad was talking and it said Radio Shack on it and He didnt belive me, Then he saw the video camera and was like whats that for I said to shoot video if I see somthing cool.  Then he saw the digital camera binoculars and started asking me questions about that, Then I have a competetion stereo system in my car and he saw my digital capacitor mounted inside my car with 4 AWG welding supply wire running through it and it said 14.2 Volts and he started asking me tons of questions about it, and he told me to leave and go find somewhere else. Then he starts asking me how I know about all these spots, and I said the internet and he goes oh really what websites are these...refused to give that information out...What a dickhead, and he was cool about it the night before.

-Curtis Wells

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 1:21pm »

I'd guess he got chewed out. I still can't see where if you're not trespassing that they can stop you. I mean, be polite, and if asked to move I'd do so. But there's no law against taking pictures of trains. At least not yet... (ominous music in background).

Steam Locomotives have a tender behind!
ABQBNSFConductor
Chaser

« Reply #18 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 1:32pm »

He said we were trespassing last night, but I dont understand why the night before hes like as long as you arent screwing around its not really "tresspassing" but then he sees us again and has got to be a jerk about it. I wish I could get some kind of permission from BNSF to take pictures on their property then when that jerk comes back Ill whip that permission out and tell him to leave me alone.

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Jan 10th, 2004, 1:43pm »

on Jan 10th, 2004, 1:32pm, audiobahn2003 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
He said we were trespassing last night, but I dont understand why the night before hes like as long as you arent screwing around its not really "tresspassing" but then he sees us again and has got to be a jerk about it. I wish I could get some kind of permission from BNSF to take pictures on their property then when that jerk comes back Ill whip that permission out and tell him to leave me alone.

There not giving out any passes yet not at this time we are on high alert to look out for people.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »