Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 20th, 2018, 12:12am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

DON'T DO WHAT THESE PEOPLE DID.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Rail Safety
(Moderators: prostock19, CP8673, , Pyronova, cn2220, BNSF_1088)
   DON'T DO WHAT THESE PEOPLE DID.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: DON'T DO WHAT THESE PEOPLE DID.  (Read 3050 times)
FL9
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

Re: DON'T DO WHAT THESE PEOPLE DID.

« Reply #60 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:42pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

This thread reminded me of an incident I witnessed a couple years ago in Bethlehem, PA. I was standing on the Hill-to-Hill bridge in the morning waiting for an eastbound to come by. An NS Police SUV pulled up and parked below me next to the CP-Bethlehem interlocking. About 15 minutes later, I saw some guy dragging what looked like a piece of furniture, might have been a love seat or small couch, across the railroad bridge that carries the connecting track from the interlocking over to Allentown Yard. I kept watching in anticipation, and finally when he came to the end of the bridge, surprise!--there was the NS police officer to write him up. It goes to show that once in a while, there is a cop there when you need one.

Jerry

NS 21Z, clear CP102, two west, out
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Aug 4th, 2004, 11:24am »

Last trip i mad these people were in the same spot just not sitting on the tracks i gave them the bird when i went by and they threw a beer can at me.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #62 on: Aug 4th, 2004, 4:40pm »

GET THE LISCENSE PLATE NUMBER ON THAT TRUCK!!!!!!!   i noticed in the one picture witht hem sitting on the lawn chair they had a truck.  just find some way to identify who they are!!!  and then throw frozen water bottles of DOOM at them!    

even better yet, just give me and maybe a freind a ride on the train.  i'm sure we can improvise a solution!   maybe you can't do anything "rash" but nothing said we couldn't!  ***throws rock at them*** see?  and who are they gonna complain to?  they won't know how to catch you, i bet they have no idea which train or who was in the train! and besides, if they complain, they are gonna have to explain why they are sitting in the middle of the tracks.  if they deny it, you could always bring out that picture again!  either way, you win!

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Aug 4th, 2004, 10:36pm »

on Aug 4th, 2004, 3:23pm, strasburg475 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...there were all kinds of casual tourists strolling up the line from the yard to Fairview crossing: one after the other! Fathers holding their 4 year  old's hands and mothers carrying the 2 year olds, with some were pushing strollers down the line! And that's with Thomas and 475 running back and forth!!!   No one said anything.

Yikes! Sounds like a job for Operation Lifesaver! With 30,000 guests on hand, what a golden opportunity to do some rail safety educating!

nkp774
Historian

« Reply #64 on: Aug 6th, 2004, 9:28am »

Another place that bothers me,is Letchworth state Park, not far from the Rochester and Buffalo area. There is a high trestle, used by Norfolk Southern, which passes over the one end of the park. I can't believe the number of tourist that walk out onto this active line trestle, to get a look below at the falls ! I haven't been there for quite awhile, so I don't know if the situation has changed.

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #65 on: Aug 8th, 2004, 6:32am »

Mike -

That trestle sounds like yet another disaster waiting to happen. If anyone does get hit, I'm sure the attorneys will trot out the "attractive nuisance" theory, i.e., NS didn't try hard enough to keep people off such an "irresistibly tempting" death-trap, and the "victim" was just exercizing his right to be incalculably stupid. It will be all the railroad's fault.

Does the park have its own falls overlook that people could use instead? If not, maybe they should think about building one...

Bob

nkp774
Historian

« Reply #66 on: Aug 8th, 2004, 12:22pm »

Bob,  
     The park has paths that lead up to the falls, for viewing, but nothing high above ,like the trestle, that I know of. You can get some nice views, also, if your lucky, you can get a shot of the falls, with a train going by overhead. This line is a former Erie Lackawanna  Buffalo line, and I'm not sure how much train traffic it sees now-a-days. I think I read somewhere, that the railroad has restricted speed over the trestle because of the tourist using it. Unfortunately, your probably right about the railroad being sued if something happens to a trespasser.

Charlie_O
Historian
  Letchworth_trestle.jpg - 41273 Bytes
« Reply #67 on: Aug 8th, 2004, 4:59pm »

on Aug 6th, 2004, 9:28am, nkp774 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Another place that bothers me,is Letchworth state Park, not far from the Rochester and Buffalo area.

Must admit, before I returned to fanning, my wife and I visited Letchworth S.P. and were among the thousands who walk out on that trestle each year.  I thought it was abandoned.  In fact, I'm pretty sure somebody told us it was. This was several years ago, and NS may have placed warnings since then, but I remember very little except an old Conrail sign of some sort, but given that we thought the bridge was a recent abandonment, I was more concerned about the thing falling down than I was about trains.  

Knowing what I do now, I wouldn't do it again.  

Did get some nice pix tho.  

-Charlie

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Safety/Letchworth_trestle.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2004, 5:01pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
nkp774
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Aug 9th, 2004, 9:21am »

Good picture, Charlie. I was lucky enough to get a shot of a Conrail freight from that location, years ago, after finding a railroad employee up the line and asking if any trains were due in the area.
   I also get the impression that a lot of other people think that trestle is abandoned, too.

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #69 on: Aug 18th, 2004, 7:19pm »

On one of my vids it shows NKP 765 crossing that trestle in the mid - 80's, about from the spot where your pic is from, Charlie.
                Cy

Go Braves!

Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #70 on: Sep 22nd, 2009, 1:37pm »

This is something that REALLY frosts me!!!!!!!!!  People getting money when it what their OWN stupidity that caused an accident.  They ought not get a freakin' DIME!!   And I have come to hold the legal profession fully at fault for their greedy quest for ill-gotten money--each PENNY I hope they CHOKE on!!!!    Along with the people who put on a sad face in court in anticipation of filthy lucre they have no right to because they went onto railroad property, crossed around gates, trespassed and got hurt by going into places they have NO business being!  Attractive nuisance my A**!!  If the sign says you ain't got no business being there, you ain't got no business BEING THERE, you stupid, lowlife along with your slick-suited lawyer crook!!!!!

And dats the way I feel!!!!!!!

Gadfly

KingCoal
Historian

« Reply #71 on: Sep 25th, 2009, 11:20am »

on Sep 22nd, 2009, 1:37pm, Gadfly wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This is something that REALLY frosts me!!!!!!!!!  People getting money when it what their OWN stupidity that caused an accident.  They ought not get a freakin' DIME!!   And I have come to hold the legal profession fully at fault for their greedy quest for ill-gotten money--each PENNY I hope they CHOKE on!!!!    Along with the people who put on a sad face in court in anticipation of filthy lucre they have no right to because they went onto railroad property, crossed around gates, trespassed and got hurt by going into places they have NO business being!  Attractive nuisance my A**!!  If the sign says you ain't got no business being there, you ain't got no business BEING THERE, you stupid, lowlife along with your slick-suited lawyer crook!!!!!
And dats the way I feel!!!!!!!

Gadfly

GeeWhilikers Gad,
You better "take a Bufferin and stop Sufferin"..........
I'm glad this is not a topic that you have strong feelings about............

« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2009, 11:21am by KingCoal » Logged

RETIRED
"A busy Mainline and a trout stream beside it"
paradise !
Gadfly
Railfan

« Reply #72 on: Sep 30th, 2009, 6:07pm »

I forgot if you ever worked in the rail industry, but  if you didn't then you can't understand how it feels to watch some stupe deliberately go around the crossing gates while the engineer is blowing stacatto blasts at him on the horn.  You can SEE the kids in the car seat, feel  your knuckles tighten on the armrest while the car DISAPPEARS under the nose of your engine.  Then if we are unlucky enough to HIT  them, they or their surviving family, comes to court to vilify and pillory the railroad and the crew!  "Why", they say thru crocodile tears, "Sniff, sniff, pore ole John didn't have a chance!  That big, bad train jumped off the track, chased down mah, dear departed Uncle John for the sole purpose of eating him alive!!!!!"  All the while, they are secretly wringing their hands at the prospect of gittin' their hands on all that railroad dough!   Oh no, they don't care about the relative they lost; what they care about is the M-O-N-E-Y.

If you haven't experienced this, gone thru the emotional hell of hitting a car with small children in it it, well.......................Yeah, I have strong feelings about it.  The gates are there to prevent people from DYING. It is the RESPONSIBILITY of the drivers of cars to STOP, LOOK, and LISTEN.  Yet, people treat railroad tracks as a toy, a place to play, a choo choo layout around a Christmas tree.  Then when they get hurt.........................BAWAHHHAHHHHHHHAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!  THAT BIG OLE TWAIN RUNNED OBER ME AN' AH'M GONNA SUE!!!!!!!!!!!  Nope!  They shouldn't get a freakin' DIME!!!!!!!!    And DATS DAT!!!!!

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #73 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 9:12pm »

Well, I've seen this written up elsewhere but finally saw it for the first time.

Five or six idiots with camera gear shooting each other, around and on the tracks, at one of the busiest grade crossings in town.  And by tracks I mean a busy BNSF double track main line and heavy car traffic.

I sincerely hope the unit grain train that was about 2 miles away and advancing towards that grade crossing interrupted their photography.

I just wish I hadn't been driving at the time so I could have called the gents in black and white cars with red lights on them.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #74 on: Sep 17th, 2012, 2:59pm »

on Sep 30th, 2009, 6:07pm, Gadfly wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I forgot if you ever worked in the rail industry, but  if you didn't then you can't understand how it feels to watch some stupe deliberately go around the crossing gates while the engineer is blowing stacatto blasts at him on the horn.  You can SEE the kids in the car seat, feel  your knuckles tighten on the armrest while the car DISAPPEARS under the nose of your engine.  Then if we are unlucky enough to HIT  them, they or their surviving family, comes to court to vilify and pillory the railroad and the crew!  "Why", they say thru crocodile tears, "Sniff, sniff, pore ole John didn't have a chance!  That big, bad train jumped off the track, chased down mah, dear departed Uncle John for the sole purpose of eating him alive!!!!!"  All the while, they are secretly wringing their hands at the prospect of gittin' their hands on all that railroad dough!   Oh no, they don't care about the relative they lost; what they care about is the M-O-N-E-Y.

If you haven't experienced this, gone thru the emotional hell of hitting a car with small children in it it, well.......................Yeah, I have strong feelings about it.  The gates are there to prevent people from DYING. It is the RESPONSIBILITY of the drivers of cars to STOP, LOOK, and LISTEN.  Yet, people treat railroad tracks as a toy, a place to play, a choo choo layout around a Christmas tree.  Then when they get hurt.........................BAWAHHHAHHHHHHHAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!  THAT BIG OLE TWAIN RUNNED OBER ME AN' AH'M GONNA SUE!!!!!!!!!!!  Nope!  They shouldn't get a freakin' DIME!!!!!!!!    And DATS DAT!!!!!

Sport, people on the ground sometimes see that car going around the gate with a  train close. I have - and where i was stopped next to the gate going the other way, I'd probably have become part of the wreckage if the dumb broad in a pick-up with two kids visible in the cab hadn't cleared the train (making a back up move across US 90 at Dayton, or maybe Liberty) by less than three feet. Scary.

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2012, 6:38pm by ClydeDET » Logged
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #75 on: Sep 18th, 2012, 9:44am »

I completely agree with Gadfly.  

Perhaps some of the "Operation Lifesaver" funds we spend should go to educating the Judiciary.  We're never going to cure public stupidity-- we're dealing with a renewable resource here-- maybe what's needed is a change in worldview, to recognize that trespassers are not victims.  If it don't belong to you, don't touch it.  If it ain't your property, stay out.  If you choose to trespass or to disregard the warning signs, whatever happens to you is your own fault.  How did it ever become more complicated than this?

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2012, 9:51am by Norm_Anderson » Logged
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #76 on: Sep 18th, 2012, 3:07pm »

on Sep 18th, 2012, 9:44am, Norm_Anderson wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I completely agree with Gadfly.  

Perhaps some of the "Operation Lifesaver" funds we spend should go to educating the Judiciary.  We're never going to cure public stupidity-- we're dealing with a renewable resource here-- maybe what's needed is a change in worldview, to recognize that trespassers are not victims.  If it don't belong to you, don't touch it.  If it ain't your property, stay out.  If you choose to trespass or to disregard the warning signs, whatever happens to you is your own fault.  How did it ever become more complicated than this?

Regards,

Norm

How? I'm not completely sure, Norm. Despite having taken Torts when i was in law school, and having studied the Turn Table Cases (perhaps the seminal cases involving the attractive nuisance doctrine). I must confess that i find the doctrine that allows a trespasser with notice to successfully sue a property owner omewhat perverse.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Almost_A_Accident.jpg - 92318 Bytes
« Reply #77 on: Oct 22nd, 2012, 12:27am »

Well, I spent a long weekend in western NC and unfortunately came away with some photos that show some near misses. 1st, the dump truck pulling the trailer backed up as much as he could with out taking down the crossing arm before I got this shot. I would assume this guy has some sort of CDL that would indicate he knew better...
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Safety/Almost_A_Accident.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2012, 12:35am by CHESSIEMIKE » Logged

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Almost_A_Accident_2.jpg - 82911 Bytes
« Reply #78 on: Oct 22nd, 2012, 12:34am »

Next up we have the classic "Drive Around". I could hear the train blowing for the crossing. What you don't see is the first car at the crossing on the other side. The driver of the SUV came to the crossing in the wrong lane with full intentions of driving around the stopped traffic and crossing gates. That is why I had my camera up, I could see it coming. The driver of the SUV got lucky because the train was moving slow, but they did give me a look when they saw I had a camera.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Safety/Almost_A_Accident_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #79 on: Oct 22nd, 2012, 6:01pm »

Chessie Mike, you have a wonderful photo there of the SUV going around the gates.  Too bad there wasn't a front license plat.  That would have been one to give to the local PD.  

If nothing else, send it to the state DMV.  Perhaps they can use it as a justification to require vehicle plates on the front!

Alan

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »