Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 20th, 2018, 12:23am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

DON'T DO WHAT THESE PEOPLE DID.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Rail Safety
(Moderators: prostock19, CP8673, , Pyronova, cn2220, BNSF_1088)
   DON'T DO WHAT THESE PEOPLE DID.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: DON'T DO WHAT THESE PEOPLE DID.  (Read 3052 times)
Charlie_O
Historian
Re: DON'T DO WHAT THESE PEOPLE DID.
  CSX_5118.jpg - 91410 Bytes
« Reply #40 on: Oct 23rd, 2003, 1:36pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Here's an idea of the kind of power that might be sneaking up on him...a few seconds before this was taken, a college-age girl crossed casually in front of this intermodal.  The crossing is just out of frame to the right.
-Charlie

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Safety/CSX_5118.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2003, 1:38pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Oct 23rd, 2003, 1:41pm »

Nice shot to bad you couldn't get that girl crossing in front of the train.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Oct 24th, 2003, 12:01am »

on Oct 23rd, 2003, 1:41pm, BNSF_1088 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Nice shot to bad you couldn't get that girl crossing in front of the train.

Matt, if I went out to any crossing, or even to most suburban stations, I wouldn't have to wait long before I saw someone cross the tracks within sight of a train.  Today I was coming across a single-lane bridge above my local Septa Regional Rail line, and outa the corner of my eye saw two sets of folks walking the tracks--one on the inbound and one on the outbound rails.  When I got to the other side, a train was about to pull into the station.  Somebody narrowly missed becoming "rail pizza."

When I used to commute, I saw this sort of thing every day.  My favorites were the folks who reached the station by climbing some weed-choked path to the ROW, then walking (or running) along the ballast to the end of the platform, many times with the train flashing its lights and blowing its horn. I used to have side bets with myself whether they'd make it.

Some morning I'll walk down to the station early with my camera and shoot a roll.  

-Charlie

« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2003, 12:05am by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #43 on: Oct 24th, 2003, 8:33am »

I would like to see the morons at what they do best.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

csx7006
Railfan

« Reply #44 on: Oct 24th, 2003, 8:43am »

on Oct 24th, 2003, 8:33am, BNSF_1088 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I would like to see the morons at what they do best.

Never join a union that says you make too much money.

Railroads: Destroying and delaying your freight by poor management decisions!! But we blame the employees anyway.

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Jul 18th, 2004, 10:03pm »

To this day i havent seen these morons around the tracks we still talk about this incident at work.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #46 on: Jul 18th, 2004, 10:17pm »

Hi All,

But the Mayor said it was okay and there would be NO trains coming.

And if you believe that I have this great Bridge in Brooklyn that I would love to sell you for a ridiculously low price.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Jul 18th, 2004, 10:21pm »

This reminds me of some morons I saw several years ago in Topeka Ks. My dad and I were shooting photos of the SP's bridge over the Kansas River off of the Topeka Avenue bridge, which is 100 yards east of the SP bridge, if that. The bridge has about 8 spans, and is probably about a third of a mile long or so. Anyway, this guy and his 2 kids decide to push a shopping cart full of their possessions over the bridge, bumping it along the ties, making really slow progress. About half way across, I hear a westbound SP train blowing for crossings through town, and pretty soon it's easing onto the bridge, and those fools have about 3 spans to go. Fortunately, the SP has to negotiate some pretty tight curves to get across the river, and they made it when the train was just reaching the last span. Wouldn't have had to sweat that one if they'd only gone one block east, although they may have had trouble getting their cart past my tripod!  

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

Railroadman
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Jul 20th, 2004, 9:21am »

People ride 4 wheelers on the tracks all the time around here.

The best locomotives D9-40CW, AC4400,
and SD70MAC. Maby you can beat the train...
Maby you are dead wrong Lets add Amtrak
to the list of favorite RR'S too.!!

Ham Radio call sign KC8ZFW

The Best Horn K5LA.!!

The Best Signal C&O Cantilever.!!

NS Pokey Dispatrcher to the 233 over.
trainpixsnet
Chaser

« Reply #49 on: Jul 23rd, 2004, 1:17am »

And when someone like that (that would sit in lawn chairs inbetween the rails) gets killed, the media will probibly make it out that it was the railroad's falt for not doing somthing that would "prevent" these idiots from doing  their acts of stupidity. STUPID %(&#%)*^%  

I remember reading here on this board that two teenage brats are sueing CSX, NS, (??) because they were skateboarding (!! !!) on top of some hi-cubes and got electrocuted by the wires above.  

Also, when parents will let their children play in the busy city streets -- and you will be driving down the road and you come upon a buch of kids that dare you to hit them, and then THEY will move when THEY want to move -- and their (kids) parents will say, "Well, they have to right of way to the cars!" You know that just ticks me off, actually yesturday, I had a kid riding down the middle of a busy neighborhood street and I went to pas him on the right -- hugging the curb. Then all of a sudden this "parent" jumps in front of my car and starts chewing me out for passing his bratty son while he had the right-of-way.

I just a scared about my generation! Who knows, we have had many close times that we (as a country -- okay our government) have made some stupid choices but I cant wait   to see my generation "take over."  

OK now that I have all that out of my system. I pray to God that we will be able to knock some scence into these kids that are my age!

Pax

I'D RATHER BE RAILFANNING!!!™
Be sure to check out the TrainPixs Network

<{{{><
I.C.H.T.H.Y.S.
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:34am »

Hi Train etc.,

Given the same situation, I would have stopped, blocked the following traffic, taken my cell phone and dialed 911. When the police showed up I would have sworn out a complaint against the parent, and tried to get the kid declared a JD (juvenile delinquent). I would imagine the Police would have a series of charges to file against the parent and brat as well. Out of curiosity, was the parent the father ? And, was he sober ?

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
strasburg90
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Jul 23rd, 2004, 2:26pm »

charlie,

the man in ur pic whose walkin along the tracks is another  candidate for jacka$$ award.

john

TOP 10 STEAMERS!
trainpixsnet
Chaser

« Reply #52 on: Jul 25th, 2004, 3:34am »

on Jul 23rd, 2004, 10:34am, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi Train etc.,

Given the same situation, I would have stopped, blocked the following traffic, taken my cell phone and dialed 911. When the police showed up I would have sworn out a complaint against the parent, and tried to get the kid declared a JD (juvenile delinquent). I would imagine the Police would have a series of charges to file against the parent and brat as well. Out of curiosity, was the parent the father ? And, was he sober ?

Well, to answer your first question, not it was his mother and she is VERY conservative with drinking, smoking, etc.  Also, I have thought about that -- calling the police but it will probibly take them around 30 minutes to get to the area, when i live about 2 miles of the Police HQ. And with my luck would be a ticket for blocking traffic and someother things that we wouldnt know off the top of our heads...  

Pax Christi

I'D RATHER BE RAILFANNING!!!™
Be sure to check out the TrainPixs Network

<{{{><
I.C.H.T.H.Y.S.
Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #53 on: Aug 1st, 2004, 4:56pm »

Get this : At Strasburg on July 20th while shooting the steamers up there, I saw a kid, looked about 4 or 5, walking the tracks ALONE!!    What kind of parent does this?  The 4-8-0 475 was just passing the shops, which are in view from fairview crossing where I was, and the kid was just walking casually between the ties.  A train can easily sneak up on anybody, even if they are facing the train. The is an embankment on both sides of the track were this happened!!  The kid could have been trapped! I think the kid was OK, but still.
              Cy....

Go Braves!

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Aug 1st, 2004, 6:40pm »

on Aug 1st, 2004, 4:56pm, Teen_NS_fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 Get this : At Strasburg...I saw a kid, looked about 4 or 5, walking the tracks ALONE!!    What kind of parent does this?...The kid could have been trapped! I think the kid was OK, but still.
                                                                          Cy....

"But still" is right, Cy. If that's not child neglect or reckless endangerment, what is? But if you tried to tell the kid to get off the tracks, his parents would be all over you to mind your own business and leave their precious darling alone. Maybe the relaxed, casual atmosphere at Strasburg makes people let down their guard, but one look at a hissing, snorting steam engine should be enough to make any so-called "grown-up" think twice about letting a five-year-old wander around alone!  

Bob

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #55 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:36am »

It made both me and my dad do a double take when we crossed the tracks and saw the kid strolling along the roadbed.  Like you said, especially in Strasburg, even little kids tend to think that since its an " old choo choo train  " that it cant hurt them.  
    Think of all the bad publicity Strasburg would get if they hit a kid!  It seems only railfans know of the power ( and the majesty   )  of trains.

Cy

Go Braves!

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #56 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:55am »

Here's anotherone (Not Dangerouse but Ridiculous):
I was at the SRC on Aug 1st 04. 475 was shifting in the yard puffing and tooting in the yard when a Kid said to his DAD "Wow look at that thing!" The DAD replied"Yeah" and the Mother yelled back "IT'S NOTHING BUT POLLUTION LET'S GET OUTTA HERE!"

Such an idiot! 75% of what comes out of that stack is steam and does not harm the enviroment. Oh I guess she doesn't drive if that's how she feels, oh and forget about electricity! Yeah, they weren't Amish.

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 6:12am »

I feel sorry for ignorant people like her, but they can be dangerous, too. They show up at public meetings to scream about banning those "disgusting smoke-belching polluters," banning those "disgusting, ear-splitting whistles," and getting rid of those disgusting railfans and tourists who are ruining their peaceful little town. This woman was so busy being disgusted she didn't care how much her husband and child were enjoying and learning from the steam-train experience. I'll bet she lectured them about it all the way home -- in their 5mpg SUV.

Bob

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2004, 6:13am by trainwatcher1100 » Logged
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 9:43am »

on Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:55am, nhirr40 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I was at the SRC on Aug 1st 04. 475 was shifting in the yard puffing and tooting in the yard when a Kid said to his DAD "Wow look at that thing!" The DAD replied"Yeah" and the Mother yelled back "IT'S NOTHING BUT POLLUTION LET'S GET OUTTA HERE!" 

Amazing how people can look but not see.

And on a note of gratitude...

On a recent visit to the Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern, it was my wife who insisted we ride in the gon, even after I told her about the smoke and cinders from the engine.  And when everyone else ran for the shelter of the enclosed coaches amid a rain of wet cinders, she just laughed.  We came home streaked in black, and she referred to the WK&S as the most charming RR she's ever seen. I am a lucky man indeed.    
-Charlie

« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2004, 10:04am by Charlie_O » Logged

Railroadman
Historian

« Reply #59 on: Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:21pm »

When I rode Cass RR one time I sat in the open car and got a few
cinders but I still had fun.

The best locomotives D9-40CW, AC4400,
and SD70MAC. Maby you can beat the train...
Maby you are dead wrong Lets add Amtrak
to the list of favorite RR'S too.!!

Ham Radio call sign KC8ZFW

The Best Horn K5LA.!!

The Best Signal C&O Cantilever.!!

NS Pokey Dispatrcher to the 233 over.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »