Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 22nd, 2018, 3:58pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Train hits HCl tank truck - 3/6/2018, in Washington Co. PA
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Rail Safety
(Moderators: prostock19, CP8673, , Pyronova, cn2220, BNSF_1088)
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Train hits HCl tank truck - 3/6/2018, in Washington Co. PA  (Read 63 times)
George_Harris
Historian

« on: Mar 7th, 2018, 6:41pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Grade crossing T-bone
one source:   http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/06/train-hits-truck-carrying-hydrochloric-acid-in-pennsylvania-evacuations-ordered.html  This one says Centerville, but that does not match with 40 miles south of Pittsburgh.  There is a wide spot in the road in Washington County called Centerville, it is not the Centerville that mapquest gives you nor is it on Highway 88.  
Nice pictures.  Location of grade crossing not obvious.  
another source:   http://www.wtae.com/article/train-tractor-trailer-carrying-chemicals-collide-in-centerville-washington-county/19133399
This one has some tape giving a close up of the tank and truck.  Appears that the tank was split but not demolished.  "Kuhnic" within an eagle outline on the side of the tank.
"Authorities told KDKA-TV the crash happened around 11 a.m. in Centerville, located about 40 miles south of Pittsburgh. At least one person was injured in the crash"
Picture shows remains of truck wrapped around the front of at least 3 CSX engines.
Based on statements in the KDKA article, this is a NS line.  From the same KDKA article, it appears that the injured was the truck driver, but it also states that the two members of the train crew were treated.  (for inhalation of fumes?)
Appears that the crossing had crossbucks only, and the road across the track "T"ed into hwy 88.  I would have called it closer to Brownsville PA.  Either way it is south of I-70.  At this point I quit digging for location.

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2018, 7:18pm by George_Harris » Logged
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Train hits HCl tank truck - 3/6/2018, in Washington Co. PA

« Reply #1 on: Apr 7th, 2018, 4:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Rupture a tank of HCl and more than likely the train crew did need treatment for inhalation injury. Nasty stuff when aerosolized (or spattered on you, but inside the cab, expect it was inhalation of aerosolized acid solution), as I recall from my days learning about CBR in 1969 (Army-level course while I was at Fort Knox after Vietnam tour).

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »