Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 23rd, 2017, 6:37am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

WMATA - safety / maintenance, and lack thereof
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   The Mainline
   Rail Safety
(Moderators: prostock19, CP8673, , Pyronova, cn2220, BNSF_1088)
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: WMATA - safety / maintenance, and lack thereof  (Read 180 times)
George_Harris
Historian

« on: May 16th, 2016, 1:34pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Seems that WMATA is suffering from huge deficit in common sense.  In what?  Quite a few things.  Regular maintenance.  How to react to problems.  Attention to safe practices. etc., etc.

There have been talks of a shutdown.  If done would not expect it to last into more than one weekday by which time everyone with any political power all the way up to the president would have had their ears filled by screaming complainers.

Here is a little one:
http://www.progressiverailroading.com/safety/news/WMATA-to-begin-SafeTrack-repair-plan-with-midnight-subway-closings--48271?email=ghharris44@yahoo.com&utm_medium=email&utm_source=prdailynews&utm_campaign=prdailynews05/16/2016

There is much more out there.  I will drag in relevant stuff as I get around to it.  Everyone with any information or thoughts, feel free to put them in.  

Having spent the first 6 years of my working life on WMATA after my brief military time, seeing what is happening to them is somewhat like, but not near as personal as watching one of your children becoming lost in the druggie world.   It has such potential to become the showpiece of how urban transit should be.

HwyHaulier
Historian
Re: WMATA - safety / maintenance, and lack thereof

« Reply #1 on: May 17th, 2016, 9:10am »

George - Lodge Members -

Your exasperation and sense of futility understood. So it has always been with massive public works ('infrastructure' the  
fad word of these times). The grand and magnificent sites get built. Then, the unending upkeep, repair and maintenance  
burdens don't get funded in the way they should. So it has always been, world without end.

History scholars. Same problems with the Romans, and huge budgets needed to keep it all going...

...............................Vern........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: May 22nd, 2016, 6:25pm »

on May 17th, 2016, 9:10am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
George - Lodge Members -

Your exasperation and sense of futility understood. So it has always been with massive public works ('infrastructure' the  
fad word of these times). The grand and magnificent sites get built. Then, the unending upkeep, repair and maintenance  
burdens don't get funded in the way they should. So it has always been, world without end.

History scholars. Same problems with the Romans, and huge budgets needed to keep it all going...

...............................Vern........................

Afraid you nailed it, Vern.

Remember when you saw stuff about the Golden Gate Bridge - constant painting (and of course, rust picking). Start at one end, go to the other, time to start over. Dunno if that is still happening or not. Also remember when railroads had track gangs who constantly patrolled an assigned stretch and fixed anything needing it. Now - umm, well, not so much, eh?

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #3 on: May 23rd, 2016, 8:33am »

George - Clyde - Lodge Members -

Here is more from Wonderland On The Potomac (dba, National Capital) SIGH!  

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-metro-fires-20-managers/article/2591920

Hmmm... Something of a beast with as much cost control as the old India Railroads System?

.............................Vern...............................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: May 23rd, 2016, 8:05pm »

The old India Railroad System? Kipling had something to say about that organization:

Home » English Poets » Rudyard Kipling

Public Waste

by Rudyard Kipling

. . Email Share .

Rudyard Kipling

By the Laws of the Family Circle 'tis written in letters of brass
 That only a Colonel from Chatham can manage the Railways of State,
 Because of the gold on his breeks, and the subjects wherein he must pass;
 Because in all matters that deal not with Railways his knowledge is great.

Now Exeter Battleby Tring had laboured from boyhood to eld
 On the Lines of the East and the West, and eke of the North and South;
 Many Lines had he built and surveyed -- important the posts which he held;
 And the Lords of the Iron Horse were dumb when he opened his mouth.

Black as the raven his garb, and his heresies jettier still --
 Hinting that Railways required lifetimes of study and knowledge --
 Never clanked sword by his side -- Vauban he knew not nor drill --
 Nor was his name on the list of the men who had passed through the "College."

Wherefore the Little Tin Gods harried their little tin souls,
 Seeing he came not from Chatham, jingled no spurs at his heels,
 Knowing that, nevertheless, was he first on the Government rolls
 For the billet of "Railway Instructor to Little Tin Gods on Wheels."

Letters not seldom they wrote him, "having the honour to state,"
 It would be better for all men if he were laid on the shelf.
 Much would accrue to his bank-book, an he consented to wait
 Until the Little Tin Gods built him a berth for himself,

"Special, well paid, and exempt from the Law of the Fifty and Five,
 Even to Ninety and Nine" -- these were the terms of the pact:
 Thus did the Little Tin Gods (lon may Their Highnesses thrive!)
 Silence his mouth with rupees, keeping their Circle intact;

Appointing a Colonel from Chatham who managed the Bhamo State Line
 (The wich was on mile and one furlong -- a guaranteed twenty-inch gauge),
 So Exeter Battleby Tring consented his claims to resign,
 And died, on four thousand a month, in the ninetieth year of his age!

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #5 on: May 24th, 2016, 1:11am »

Thank you Clyde for that lovely Kipling poem.  I will admit that I have to read some of his stuff two or three times, sometimes more to get it but I sure get this one.  I have seen it proven out more than once that the only thing worse than telling some of the self important higher ups in an organization something that they do not want to hear is to be proven right in the thing that you told them.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #6 on: May 24th, 2016, 8:31am »

Clyde - George - Lodge Members -

Many Thanks for the citation of Kipling! See! Things never change! That is why, in the venerable Church, given to remark,  
"...Sic erat in principio, et nunc et semper, et in saecula saeculorum.... And, a viaggi  pacis goes with that!

In discussions of futility, perhaps fair to recall writings in 1854 of Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
See:  http://poetry.eserver.org/light-brigade.html

This seems to have much to do with "public service" characters?  
"...Theirs not to make reply, Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die:..."

.............................Vern.......................

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: May 24th, 2016, 2:35pm »

on May 24th, 2016, 8:31am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Many Thanks for the citation of Kipling! See! Things never change! That is why, in the venerable Church, given to remark,  
"...Sic erat in principio, et nunc et semper, et in saecula saeculorum.... And, a viaggi  pacis goes with that!

In discussions of futility, perhaps fair to recall writings in 1854 of Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
See:  http://poetry.eserver.org/light-brigade.html

This seems to have much to do with "public service" characters?  
"...Theirs not to make reply, Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die:..."

.............................Vern.......................

Gig Lamps (his nickname at his school) usually has something useful on curst near any subject, if you will look a bit.  I've been a Kipling fan for a long time now, just because of that. Doesn't always get it right - look at the last chapters in Stalky & Co. for what Dunsterville (the real life Stalky) suggests he could do in Turkish territory. He couldn't when he got the chance, it turns out. perhaps he didn't have the proposed requisite of "a sufficiency of Sikhs"....

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #8 on: May 25th, 2016, 11:31am »

WMATA travails reported and detailed in May 22 Issue, TIME Magazine... FYI....

............................Vern.............................

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: May 26th, 2016, 6:18pm »

Not to mention in a number of NTSB Reports on accidents. WAMTA wasn't/isn't a bad idea, but they sure haven't taken care of their stuff. Sort of like one of my nieces and cars...

ehbowen
Railfan

« Reply #10 on: May 27th, 2016, 3:56pm »

on May 26th, 2016, 6:18pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Not to mention in a number of NTSB Reports on accidents. WAMTA wasn't/isn't a bad idea, but they sure haven't taken care of their stuff. Sort of like one of my nieces and cars...

I am reminded of the local school districts. Build a fancy new high school, then divert all of the maintenance funds to salaries and pensions. Let it slide farther and farther downhill for fifteen years, then hit the local papers and TV stations: "OMG! The roof is leaking! The A/C doesn't work! We need a bond issue and tax increase! Vote YES on Prop 5...it's for the kids!"

--------Eric H. Bowen

Now 200 classic timetables online, transcribed into machine-readable and searchable format:

Check it out here: Streamliner Schedules!

Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #11 on: May 27th, 2016, 4:37pm »

on May 26th, 2016, 6:18pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The sort of thing that can be understood in teenagers, particularly the female ones.  One in my family as well.  At least in my case she seemed to have learned after destroying one car.  

However, there is no excuse for this in what is supposed to be a competent organization.  It does seem to be a problem in far more than one urban rail system.  Seems that let it deteriorate to an unfixable condition then go the the taxpayers with their hat out claiming "poor me, I need help" is a standard policy/practice.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #12 on: May 28th, 2016, 9:07am »

Eric - George - Clyde - Lodge Members -

Eric... RIGHT! Somehow the tactics you describe must be endemic to the entire Education Trades. It is a standard play  
for more public money, and used widely throughout the US. Also, noted in many other areas. Examples, for instance, in  
the Mass Transit boondoggle...

That's the way it is... "How long, America? How long?"...

Adolescent, low hours drivers. Went thru it here. One old Ford lost, a decade back. Since, my Daughter quite the skilled  
driver in the long haul, and other areas. She does know how to run NJ Turnpike, Delaware Memorial Bridge to and from  
Fort Lee, and with no problems.

..................Vern...............................

« Last Edit: May 28th, 2016, 12:18pm by HwyHaulier » Logged

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: May 31st, 2016, 3:40pm »

on May 27th, 2016, 4:37pm, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The sort of thing that can be understood in teenagers, particularly the female ones.  One in my family as well.  At least in my case she seemed to have learned after destroying one car.  

However, there is no excuse for this in what is supposed to be a competent organization.  It does seem to be a problem in far more than one urban rail system.  Seems that let it deteriorate to an unfixable condition then go the the taxpayers with their hat out claiming "poor me, I need help" is a standard policy/practice.

Yes - but Amy isn't a teen-ager any longer. Graduated college, worked for a law firm for a while, married, has a year old baby girl (really cute one), and her Dad and grandfather always taught, or tried to teach, the need for PM. She changes oil and gets tires replaced, but - seems to let other things go until there is a failure (ignores clicking CV joints, things like that).

Our school district has done the "Things are falling apart, we need a lot of money, please pass the bod issue" thing repeatedly over the years. Last two failed...

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »